Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 AM

145 posts, read 325,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
True... I am surprised that you have dated so many men that don't pay.

Do you see yourself having kids one day? I have heard that the lowest insurance under the new healthcare law will be $1,700/month for a family.
No, I never want kids. It's not that they dont pay period, but I pay about 70% of the time and especially if it is expensive. I have always paid for vacations if they were expensive (something besides a weekend trip to the beach or something). I dont mind but after years in a relationship I guess it wears on their ego. Idk, I dont get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 AM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Do you see yourself having kids one day? I have heard that the lowest insurance under the new healthcare law will be $1,700/month for a family.
Where did you get that from? If you make just under $88,000 for family of 4, maximum annual premium is $8,400 which is $700 a month. If you make above $88,000, who knows and would depend on the market, your employer's coverage, etc.

Health Reform Subsidy Calculator - Kaiser Health Reform

Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunters4life View Post
No, I never want kids. It's not that they dont pay period, but I pay about 70% of the time and especially if it is expensive. I have always paid for vacations if they were expensive (something besides a weekend trip to the beach or something). I dont mind but after years in a relationship I guess it wears on their ego. Idk, I dont get it.
Well, traditionaly at least, men are supposed to be the protectors and the providers in a relationship. When you step up and take over the role of the provider, it often leads to feelings of being emasculated. Men cannot help but be men, but there are plenty that wouldnt mind.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Well, traditionaly at least, men are supposed to be the protectors and the providers in a relationship. When you step up and take over the role of the provider, it often leads to feelings of being emasculated. Men cannot help but be men, but there are plenty that wouldnt mind.
That's sort of the point of the article. It describes young men who are underemployed underachievers, living at home, and still have tons of self esteem!

I have seen the thesis of this article embodied in the friends of my daughter, who is now a rising junior in college. Of her 10 closest friends (5 male, 5 female), all of the women are in 4 year colleges.

Of the men, 3 went to college, but all dropped out to take McJobs after 1 or 2 years. Of the other 2, one has never had a job, and the other dropped out of culinary school after a couple of months and joined the army. All living at home except the soldier.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,805,880 times
I dunno, perhaps it's the cynic in me rearing its ugly head, but this article seems to be yet another 'dig' at men, especially men who are 'different'. Let's be real here - there have always been slackers in every generation... that said, my view is perhaps it's getting more attention now because of all the advances women have made... just a guess.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
The economy def screwed a lot of people that recently graduated. A lot of guys lose faith and self esteem becuase they couldnt get a job right out of college. Cant really blame them for it. They are living at home working jobs that they cant afford to move out on. This article seems to be making people think they want to do that.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
a lot of women dont realize that by marrying into money, it doesnt guarantee them anything and often times ends up in bitter divorce. I grew up in a wealthy county and cant tell you the amount of divorced women whose husbands have cheated on them or just have no time for their wife and kids. It use to be that men and women would fall in love based on attraction or loving the other person's personality. Now its more about what can the guy do for the girl. Is he good enough for me? Dont get me wrong, women should want and have a man that has a job and someone not living with their parents... but to demand that he be this way or that and have this type of job and what not is crazy. I cant see marriages lasting based on fake love.
Romantic marriage is a thoroughly modern ideal and quite possibly a significant factor in our nation's rising divorce rate. Throughout history, marriages were arranged by communities/families based on economic advantage. It hasn't been until quite recently that romance played any role whatsoever in most marital relationships.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Romantic marriage is a thoroughly modern ideal and quite possibly a significant factor in our nation's rising divorce rate. Throughout history, marriages were arranged by communities/families based on economic advantage. It hasn't been until quite recently that romance played any role whatsoever in most marital relationships.
ok, people also didnt live till 80, hundreds of years ago. People didnt need love to last 50 years. Why would u marry someone u didnt love? Just cause they had money?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM

109 posts, read 160,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
*whistles*

Yeah, just look right over here. That's right, right here. Eleven SOLID years of NOTHING from women. Not good enough, apparently.
11 years? jesus jumping jehoshaphat rent a ho already

Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
ok, people also didnt live till 80, hundreds of years ago. People didnt need love to last 50 years. Why would u marry someone u didnt love? Just cause they had money?
Why would I marry someone I didn't love? I wouldn't have, and I didn't. Physical attraction and romance were a significant part of why I married my husband, but I would be lying to you if I said that was all that was needed. I would not have married him if he'd been a slacker, and that's the unvarnished truth. And I don't kid myself that my physical appearance wasn't a factor in his willingness to marry me and stay married to me, which is why I get up at 5:00 a.m. every single day to work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies