Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 PM

38,610 posts, read 26,243,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Como???

The only one (possibly) threatening violence was Yooperkat, FYI... I'm quite sure my cross-dressing friend would handle the situation with dignity, and would only resort to violence in self-defense.

This guy could learn some finer points from you...

Football Training - How to Back Pedal - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM

29,663 posts, read 24,695,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
Why are men and women excpected to dress differently? Why is it that if a person defies this norm (man wearing a dress , women in a men's suit and tie) do some people get up in arms about it? Why can't a person just dress the way the want (using good hygiene and judgement, no risque in church) and be left alone?

I just don't understand this fixation with the way others dress. So what if a man wants to walk down the street in a miniskirt with a purse, or a woman in baggy jeans and a t-shirt.
Is this the same Jesse that lives in Logan Square with his mother, brags about collecting SSDI, and can't find a job while blaming everything except his felony criminal charges??? Just curious. He's a regular on this forum and has lots to talk about regarding cross dressing..

Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM

67 posts, read 164,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Is this the same Jesse that lives in Logan Square with his mother, brags about collecting SSDI, and can't find a job while blaming everything except his felony criminal charges??? Just curious. He's a regular on this forum and has lots to talk about regarding cross dressing..
I'm female and live in TX.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,422,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The point to a man dressing as a woman is to deceive people into thinking he is a female.

Since waitstaff don't have the option of addressing guests as "hey you", they are forced to participate in the sicko's fantasy by addressing him as "Ma'am".

If they say "Sir" they risk having a big confrontation on their hands.

I can see why the liberal enemies of all that is decent would advocate innocent WWs being forced participate in a drag queen's sexual roll-playing game.

The poor slobs working like pigs waiting tables are powerless to object.

Working class stiffs are forced to toe the perverted liberal line even though it makes them feel dirty and used.

Bonus liberals!
Not necessarily. A man could be dressing en femme for any number of reasons.

I can only speak for myself, but I am sure I'm not alone in my thinking. I dress like a man because I like to dress like a man. I'm not trying to fool anyone. If they mistake me for a man and call me "sir", great. If they realize I'm female and call me "ma'am," awesome. I don't care either way. If I had my way, I'd rather not be called anything, but I don't get all bent out of shape over being called "sir" or "ma'am".

I hardly ever use "ma'am" or "sir" and I've worked in customer service. There are plenty of other ways to get someone's attention. I've managed to get people's attention blind--I don't even know if they're a "sir" or "ma'am" unless they speak first, or they're wearing massive amounts of perfume or some stilettos--imagine that! I'm sure you and all the other sighted customer service workers out there could handle the situation of getting a gender-ambiguous person's attention.

You can establish eye contact with the person. You can say "excuse me" without attaching a "ma'am" or "sir" to it. You can simply jump in and ask a polite question like "How may I help you?" It's really not as difficult as you're making it out to be. In other words, if you feel "dirty" and "used" from calling someone "ma'am", and you really can't think of any way around it, then I think you have bigger issues to deal with.

Anyway, what makes you think it's a roleplaying game? It's just who some people are. I wear the clothes I wear cause that's who I am, not cause I'm trying to participate in some role-play. Believe it or not, some people actually lead their lives in a different way than you do, and that for them is just as genuine and real as the way you live your life is for you.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,422,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
On a whim.. the girl was devastated from her mother dying suddenly and then had to cope with her father on Joan Rivers show..looking like a total joke... must have been hard on her in school.

I happened to catch the show and watched it when I heard the name. I bet many people who knew him and knew the daughter had watched it too. You think it is a whim.. you don't realize there are the innocents out there are are living in a normal world. Then pow, it is all upside down ..

So you say you look like a man. I saw women who looked like a man.so what... not like this guy did in a wig and dress. Totally bizarre.

He turned himself into a woman and still drove a truck.. the men who knew him could not believe how ridiculous he looked with breasts and a face that looked like a bull dog. Of course the guy was a real loony toon to boot.
I said the exact opposite. I said that people don't get hospitalized on a whim, so there must have been more to it than the father cross-dressing...as you've proven in your post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky
People don't get institutionalized on a whim
Now that we've clarified that...why is me, a woman, dressing like a man, any different than a man dressing like a woman? What's with the double standard here?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,768,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
This guy could learn some finer points from you...
Nice try, but no back-peddling was necessary in this case. If you can find where I mentioned violence (in that original comment), I will concede... but until then, you're just trying to divert attention from my ACTUAL point. Care to comment on that?

To clarify: I was only responding to Yooperkat's comment of "stay out of my neighborhood," and challenging the fact that he'd even DARE to say such a thing to my large & military-trained friend. He was the one being threatening - but you're ignoring his violent/hateful comment and ragging on me, for saying it wouldn't happen? People like him talk all tough, until they're actually face-to-face with somebody (especially someone who looks like my friend). That is all I meant, so please move on and address the issue instead.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-14-2012 at 11:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,928,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I know a 6'4"ish ex-Navy officer who cross-dresses... I'd love to see you tell him where he can & cannot go, LOL.
You talkin about Quagmire's dad on Family Guy??

Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not necessarily. A man could be dressing en femme for any number of reasons.
Interesting thing is, a good percentage of cross-dressers are actually heterosexual... but some people still think it's a gay issue, when it's usually men with wives/girlfriends who enjoy this thing. Regardless, why do we even care? It would be one thing if they were dressed inappropriately for either gender, but if they're properly covered I see nothing "dirty" about it. What would the haters say if they went to Scotland, Samoa, Tonga, Hawaii, India, etc, and saw men in skirts? Does their whole perception of gender-appropriate attire suddenly change based on cultural differences? That's just weird and completely random, IMO.

Another question, why are these rules for dressing only (for the most part) applied to men? Even as a woman, I have to call inequality on that one! Within the last century they included women too, so it seems unfair that men are still held to these standards while we're not. I think all men should revolt, like we did by burning our bras in the '60s. C'mon gentleman, wear those skirts and burn your ties with pride!!

Quote:
I hardly ever use "ma'am" or "sir" and I've worked in customer service. There are plenty of other ways to get someone's attention. I've managed to get people's attention blind--I don't even know if they're a "sir" or "ma'am" unless they speak first, or they're wearing massive amounts of perfume or some stilettos--imagine that! I'm sure you and all the other sighted customer service workers out there could handle the situation of getting a gender-ambiguous person's attention.

You can establish eye contact with the person. You can say "excuse me" without attaching a "ma'am" or "sir" to it. You can simply jump in and ask a polite question like "How may I help you?" It's really not as difficult as you're making it out to be. In other words, if you feel "dirty" and "used" from calling someone "ma'am", and you really can't think of any way around it, then I think you have bigger issues to deal with.
Yeah, that comment (to which you're replying) was a bit of a desperate stretch. I work in a customer-based field, and can't remember the last time I used "sir" or "ma'am." Maybe it's just a southern vs northern/western kind of thing, but I usually skip those formalities altogether... typically when a patron approaches the reference desk, I simply say "hello, how can I help you?" The only time I can think of using formal titles is when somebody is acting up, or not paying attention - then I might shoot an "excuse me, sir/ma'am" at them.

I do recall a few patrons over the years who were fairly androgynous, whether on purpose or naturally, and in those cases I just avoid using ANY gender terms (until I know for sure). Big whoop, it literally happens like once a year if that... and I live in the Bay Area, so it's doubtful some waitress in Kansas will be dealing with this on a regular basis.

Quote:
Anyway, what makes you think it's a roleplaying game? It's just who some people are. I wear the clothes I wear cause that's who I am, not cause I'm trying to participate in some role-play. Believe it or not, some people actually lead their lives in a different way than you do, and that for them is just as genuine and real as the way you live your life is for you.
This might seem like an obvious statement, but sadly it's not when you're speaking with certain types of people. Funny thing is, conservatives always claim to be the party of "live & let live" - but it seems all they DO is tell other people how to live, where to live, how to dress, who to love/marry, when or whether to have children, how to spend their money, etc, etc. Then we have the Democrats telling us what to eat and drink, and charging us for freakin' paper bags (in my city) like some forced environmental awareness. And this is why I'm an independent, LOL.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You talkin about Quagmire's dad on Family Guy??
Haha... I actually thought of him when I saw that episode! Totally.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,928,296 times
Gigggity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies