Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That is exactly what will happen too. The standards will be lowered to meet said quotas. Some aren't meant to be engineers. All because it's "NOT FAIR" in the eyes of some.
But you can't bluff your way as an Engineer or Scientist or in any other Technical Field like you can in some jobs. Unless they plan to put them all in management I just can't see it happening.

Heck, back in the 80's most girls stopped math after the required "College Algebra" class.
Now with quotas you're going to have girls taking 24 credits (6-8 levels) of Math (min requirement for engineering) ? Quotas will do that for us ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
I work in IT now and yep have seen many try and bluff it. It's fun to watch. Now I originally went into college majoring in elec engineering but couldn't hack it. Liked to party too much. I don't think these folks who want to implement this nonsense realize that it's not like getting an art degree.

You also have to factor in that girls don't like to hang out with the nerds. My daughter is getting to that stage but I already told her to tough it out with the nerds and she can thank me later. lol

Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I work in IT now and yep have seen many try and bluff it. It's fun to watch. Now I originally went into college majoring in elec engineering but couldn't hack it. Liked to party too much. I don't think these folks who want to implement this nonsense realize that it's not like getting an art degree.

You also have to factor in that girls don't like to hang out with the nerds. My daughter is getting to that stage but I already told her to tough it out with the nerds and she can thank me later. lol
Yeah..I don't care much for the nerds myself. They are way too serious and no fun at all.

Tell her the geeks are better and fun and she should consider herself a geek which is a "cool nerd".

When there's downtime the nerds go off studying theories and the geeks get out the nerf guns and miniature golf sets

Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
We need to get more jobs for STEM graduates. If a young women goes into nursing because there are better prospects in nursing than engineering, who can blame her?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
We need to get more jobs for STEM graduates. If a young women goes into nursing because there are better prospects in nursing than engineering, who can blame her?
Have you not been paying attention ? We have plenty of jobs but no skill. That's what the CEO's are crying to DC when they ask for more H1-B visas. FWIW they've already used up most of their 2013 allotment and want more.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:41 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
don't worry y'all -- i just wrote Obama a letter. this will be taken care of.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Have you not been paying attention ? We have plenty of jobs but no skill. That's what the CEO's are crying to DC when they ask for more H1-B visas. FWIW they've already used up most of their 2013 allotment and want more.
This is a pure Bureaucratically Suitable (BS) statement, as you probably know. There are thousands of unemployed US engineers, if only we could get US companies to hire them.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
don't worry y'all -- i just wrote Obama a letter. this will be taken care of.
Thanks le roi. I knew we could count on you to fix thing up

Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
not exactly..

U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren't there - The Washington Post

Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Yeah..I don't care much for the nerds myself. They are way too serious and no fun at all.

Tell her the geeks are better and fun and she should consider herself a geek which is a "cool nerd".

When there's downtime the nerds go off studying theories and the geeks get out the nerf guns and miniature golf sets
I told her to do what I say and maybe when she turns 35 she can go out on a date. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies