Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:30 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,591,050 times

Advertisements

I personally think it is sad. Have a hard time believing this would be considered ok 25 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I personally think it is sad. Have a hard time believing this would be considered ok 25 years ago.
It's America's eroding standard of living. Most never even noticed it happening because "credit" was so easily available that they just "charged" everything.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 PM

884 posts, read 715,055 times
Quick story. A 24 yr old just left the hospital after being in an MVA drunk. I remember him because I had to be trach him and I had assured the family it wouldn't be like that forever. They just down to the ER and gave us all big thanks and pizza!!

Ok, now I don't want to pull heart strings all day making decisions based on emotions. That 24 yr old was lucky, to be alive first, and that he was covered by parents, because the bill was atrocious.

Now, what happens say when another 24yr gets hit in car accident. This person's parents have no insurance. The 24yr old is going to college. Of course we will take care of that patient just like the one in the story above. NEVER will we compromise any human beings life with no insurance. So the student now has a bill of hunreds of thousands. The hospital has people who's job it is to get the 24yr old medicare or medicaid.

I do see a lot of posters here who don't want to pay for that patients medical bills and the other side that says obamacare will help with that.
Do keep in mind we taxpayers do pay for Medicare / Medical.

So, if you were in charge what would you do for this patients bill?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 PM

884 posts, read 715,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The opportunity to get it is there, but it is not free and you pay for it from what I know.
That is correct. They will be paying for it.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,818,978 times
Quote:
A girl from my high school got skin cancer while she was in college... she had to take classes and keep up her courseload while she was being treated with chemotherapy just so that she could continue to be insured, because she could no longer be on her parents' plan. It was the most miserable experience for her.

But being 26 and still on your parents' insurance? WAYYY SADDER.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,494,148 times
Families should be the first line of help when it comes to the economy. Not uncle sam.
My kids having helluva time finding a job. Get and associate, then they want BA, then a Masters. For my kid at 22 it is 180 a month,, full coverage. Cheap to keep her healthy and happy while she tries to get herself out on her own.
In Hawaii, 84% of people 35 and below still live with their parents. Economy sucks.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
A girl from my high school got skin cancer while she was in college... she had to take classes and keep up her courseload while she was being treated with chemotherapy just so that she could continue to be insured, because she could no longer be on her parents' plan. It was the most miserable experience for her.

But being 26 and still on your parents' insurance? WAYYY SADDER.
Let make sure what I'm reading.

Student has cancer, has to take full course load while undergoing treatment for cancer so that she can maintain insurance but that being carried on your parents health insurance at 26 is sadder?

If, and I say if, I read that correctly, you have one strange scale of what is sad and what isn't.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,320,367 times
There are not enough jobs these days for young Americans. And even fewer jobs for young Americans that provide health insurance. And for those jobs employers would rather just recruit someone from Asia to work it because they won't have to provide them with insurance!

What exactly should young Americans do? They are not immune to sickness and need healthcare coverage. There should be no shame in getting it however they can.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:55 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,119,658 times
Quote:
Isn't that kind of embarrassing for a 26 year old adult to be on their parents plan?
Is it not sad that even Republicans think it is ok?
Why would that be embarrassing? What is embarrassing though is being middle class and below and voting Republican.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,818,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let make sure what I'm reading.

Student has cancer, has to take full course load while undergoing treatment for cancer so that she can maintain insurance but that being carried on your parents health insurance at 26 is sadder?

If, and I say if, I read that correctly, you have one strange scale of what is sad and what isn't.
I was being sarcastic lol!! Geez louise!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies