Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
You have opened the can of worms. It won't take long until a lefty will come along and scream: America is racist!!!! The most racist country on earth !!!!
Well isn't it after all?

By the way, I'm far from a 'lefty'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 PM

344 posts, read 396,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x7x View Post
With all the talk on the news of immigration, Hispanics becoming the majority, California bankrupt, no jobs, economic collapse, 1 in 2 Americans poor, Obama, etc, how do you see the U.S. in the future?

I heard... there has been such an invasion from third world countries that all the wonderful things that L.A. has to offer have either been destroyed or are virtually impossible to get to. Many areas of L.A. have become mini-countries, you can't even read the signs on the buildings.

The truth is we are living in a dying nation that is falling apart. And it's already too late.

How do you see America in 20-50 years?
America is not on the verge of collapse but the country is slipping compared to other countries. I think the key words are "compared to other countries". The United States had a good, post WWII run. The country's infrastructure was not destroyed, as was the case in much of Europe and Japan, so the U.S. had about 20 or 30 years of clear sailing. But now that's pretty much over. We are being nickel-and-dimed to death by other countries who have cheaper labor. And the idea of retraining the American labor force into a high tech job labor pool is kind of a silly notion. Part of what made the U.S. so prosperous was that individuals with a relatively low scholastic aptitude could make a good living on an assembly line or in a steel mill. Now those same people are working in a Best Buy warehouse for 1/4 the pay.

Just focusing on the American economy, it would have been better to be born in 1940 when compared to 1990.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
followers of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Fox News beleive that once they remove black President, everything will be fine again.
Why do you have to bring race into the equation?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Unless we fire 90% of the public sector back to the real world of the private sector and mostly get rid of entitlements beyond caring for the elderly and disabled, we are not going to make it.
I think this is profoundly correct. I also know that this is not going happen.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Yes our economy can collapse if Obama gets re-elected.

Anyway, this is how obama is running the economy.
Obama is a joke. But if you think this started with Obama, you have not been paying attention.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, the U.S. will collapse. The parasites are taking so much that they're killing the host.

Only 49% pay any federal income tax whatsoever. The welfare class is growing exponentially. Those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times that of those who don't. It's simply NOT sustainable.
Why do Republicans harp on this fact? It was the Bush tax-cuts that created those rates.

Moreover, the top 1 percent of all income earners in the United States made 23.5 percent of all income, which is more than the entire bottom 50 percent and half of the top 1 percent's income is in the top 0.1 percent. That's a huge amount of income concentrated in a few hands. So, instead of advocating taxing the very wealthy, who have plenty, the GOP solution is to raise taxes on the bottom 50% who are just getting by and give more tax breaks to the very top.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Shhh. You know your can't ask Conservatives to...conserve. Carter spoke 100% truth in his Crisis of Confidence speech and he was crucified for it...
I was just a young teen when he was in office.

I watched this speech recently - and heard him frame so much that has actually happened.

I helped "vote him out" by casting my first ever Presidential vote for Ronald Reagan, what with his charm and charisma and all that.

Now I realize Carter refused to be a puppet for Wall Street. He had the knowledge - but he didn't have the stomach for the job.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 PM

156 posts, read 195,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I was just a young teen when he was in office.

I watched this speech recently - and heard him frame so much that has actually happened.

I helped "vote him out" by casting my first ever Presidential vote for Ronald Reagan, what with his charm and charisma and all that.

Now I realize Carter refused to be a puppet for Wall Street. He had the knowledge - but he didn't have the stomach for the job.
Yeah, exactly why he was put up for the job, considering Nixon/Ford.

Similiarities today? Hero worshipping the actors from -R & -D, Inc. must count for something?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Why do Republicans harp on this fact? It was the Bush tax-cuts that created those rates.
I'm not a Republican. And does it really matter? Artificially financially supporting those who can not or will not support themselves, yet reproduce at the rate of 3 times that of those who are self-supporting will destroy the country. The exponential growth of the welfare class is NOT sustainable, period.

Quote:
Moreover, the top 1 percent of all income earners in the United States made 23.5 percent of all income
False. The top 1% earned 16.9% of the income and paid 36.7% of the federal income tax revenue. That's over twice their fair share according to their share of the income. The top 5-10% ARE paying their fair share, but the bottom 90% are paying less than their fair share. In most cases MUCH, MUCH less than their fair share.

Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data | Tax Foundation

Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM

490 posts, read 650,470 times
There is some serious over-analyzing going on here. People need to calm down and realize we have survived some of the greatest challenges any nation has had to endure. Civil Wars, World Wars, The Cold War, indian Wars, a Space Race, Civil Rights, Assassinations, Weather, a major Depression, and lots of really bad TV. We are still here and still far and away the greatest country on earth! The 2012 election won't change any of the greatness. We are great because we have such elections. Duh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies