Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I heard this on the radio and was flabbergasted. I mean he's pretty much reciting Das Kapital.
As Dan Henninger pointed out, nowhere in non-Marxist economics--not anywhere--is the notion that economic growth depends on a social class. Yet Obama's entire campaign is based on the idea that a vibrant middle class leads to a good economy. He has it exactly backward: growth and prosperity lead to a vibrant middle class. Skyrocketing utility bills, vast government waste of resources, and bureaucrats shutting down business facilities do not enter into it.

And yes, Obama's pronouncements bear an eerie resemblance to utterings of the stereotypical typecast villains in Atlas Shrugged.

Where do you put in your application for a business that 'somebody else made that happen?' I'd sure like those thirty years of struggling and juggling back.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM

1,187 posts, read 994,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I knew a guy who started a successful trucking company. He borrowed money to buy his first truck (banker helped him) and drove it himself (whoever taught him to drive helped him). He hauled chickens (thanks to Pilgrim's Pride in Mt. Vernon, TX) to Colorado and Utah (thanks to the roads somebody built and maintains). His backhaul was usually potatoes from the San Luis Valley (thanks to all those farmers, their workers, the buyers and brokers) to Dallas (thanks to the vegetable wholesalers, retailers and customers who bought the potatoes). He filled his truck up with fuel made by somebody somewhere (thanks to the thousands of oil company engineers, drillers, refiners and truckers). When he needed tires, he bought them (thanks to the retailers and Goodyear). When his truck needed servicing and repairs, somebody provided it for pay.

But, as you can see, he made it entirely on his own. Nobody else had anything to do with his success.
So you're saying, that HIS success was entirely on all these other poeple who were providing these products and services withOUT his business already?? No, HIS business survived or failed because of HIM and ONLY him! He provided something that was needed to someone else and did it for better, faster, cheaper, whatever than someone else who was doing it. Nobody gave him that business, he had to work for it and pay for it and strive for it! Those businesses provided him products and services for a price, so it wasn't "help" it was trade (he traded them his hard earned money for their product or service).

I just can't believe people actually believe this crap!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
Here's my question: What was the point of him saying this? I read the full transcript of that speech and these remarks seemed out of place. It did seem like he was building to something like, "Therefore, we are raising taxes on all businesses to 90%." But he just didn't build to anything.

It was as though Steve Jobs is teling his parents about his latest success and out of nowhere, they say, "You know, we supported you for 18 yrs....."

It just seems like he is saying to successful business owners "Hey, don't be TOO proud of yourselves." And yet these are the very people that actually do create jobs! AND HIS GOVT is the entity that is making it so difficult for them to succeed!!

I do business loans for a living, so I know. Yes I do consider myself an expert in this area. You know the SBA loan program he likes to tout so much? Did you know that under the SBA 7a program, you as a business owner have to pledge ALL AVAILABLE COLLATERAL??? So, if you want a loan of $400k, you have to pledge your house, your life insurance, any property you own, EVERYTHING. But hey, don't get too full of yourselves because, you know, we are doing you this huge favor by granting this loan.

Just remember that the next time you see a business owner. Almost always, they dedicate their entire LIVES to their businesses. Please please please do NOT minimize their efforts Mr President.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Another "this place is still better than other places" broken record.

You know what, unlike two decades ago, there are now a string of better places than here. Countires that strived to be more like the US, while the US strived to be like Europe.

You'll say: "good riddance let them leave" or "don't let the door hit you on the way out"

If you drive enough "job creators" out, you'll be left with one giant Detroit. But hey, at least Detroit isn't as bad as some places.
I could not have said it better. Those that love to make this argument don't understand that Obama is trying to lead us down the path these worse off places took in the first place.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Here's my question: What was the point of him saying this? I read the full transcript of that speech and these remarks seemed out of place. It did seem like he was building to something like, "Therefore, we are raising taxes on all businesses to 90%." But he just didn't build to anything.

It was as though Steve Jobs is teling his parents about his latest success and out of nowhere, they say, "You know, we supported you for 18 yrs....."

It just seems like he is saying to successful business owners "Hey, don't be TOO proud of yourselves." And yet these are the very people that actually do create jobs! AND HIS GOVT is the entity that is making it so difficult for them to succeed!!

I do business loans for a living, so I know. Yes I do consider myself an expert in this area. You know the SBA loan program he likes to tout so much? Did you know that under the SBA 7a program, you as a business owner have to pledge ALL AVAILABLE COLLATERAL??? So, if you want a loan of $400k, you have to pledge your house, your life insurance, any property you own, EVERYTHING. But hey, don't get too full of yourselves because, you know, we are doing you this huge favor by granting this loan.

Just remember that the next time you see a business owner. Almost always, they dedicate their entire LIVES to their businesses. Please please please do NOT minimize their efforts Mr President.
Too late, the words left the station. Success has been minimized beyond all recognition.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Another "this place is still better than other places" broken record.

You know what, unlike two decades ago, there are now a string of better places than here. Countires that strived to be more like the US, while the US strived to be like Europe.

You'll say: "good riddance let them leave" or "don't let the door hit you on the way out"

If you drive enough "job creators" out, you'll be left with one giant Detroit. But hey, at least Detroit isn't as bad as some places.
Actually, I'm fine with the so called job creators in this thread moving to somewhere without the burden of roads, public safety, a healthy and educated workforce, sanitation, and other public services. I will applaud their innate ability if they they can throw off the shackles of public goods that protect their investments and go to such a place and make a go at a successful small business.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

That's a great post. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
. Better yet, go get a real job. .
I hear that Baskin-Robbins is hiring.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Actually, I'm fine with the so called job creators in this thread moving to somewhere without the burden of roads, public safety, a healthy and educated workforce, sanitation, and other public services. I will applaud their innate ability if they they can throw off the shackles of public goods that protect their investments and go to such a place and make a go at a successful small business.
Yet another remark straight out of "Atlas Shrugged". Weird, isn't it?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
15 pages of everyone "Going Gault"
You know, there are places in this world where the oppressive government doesn't take what's yours and put it towards services and infrastructure that have nothing to do with your success as a business person. I suggest all of the self proclaimed job creators here go for a visit or even move to one of those places. Your hard work should be enough to make you a success.
Everyone pays income tax that goes towards infrastructure. But it sounds like Obama thinks business owners owe more.

Given the choice between a salary or profit sharing as a means of income, most Americans will choose salary. No risk involved, that's why.
You want to be part owner ? Then give up that salary and take the same risks the owner does as well as putting in the same work effort and hours.

There are employee owned businesses in the US but they are still a niche. The unions would be against them because..well there are no "employees" since everyone is an owner. But in an employee owned business you stand the risk of not making money, losing money and outright failure.

It is being done and can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies