Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Yeah, we've already learned, the problem being in this together with the Thief in Chief is that 'he who controls the gold is not your friend.'
Great glad you finally get what Obama was saying. Now you can continue to hate the messenger.

Last edited by dv1033; 07-18-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 01:44 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Mitt Romney: "I enjoy firing people".

I heard it with my own ears. Romney likes to fire people.
Gee, that's not wildly out of context:
Quote:
"I want individuals to have their own insurance. That means the insurance company will have an incentive to keep you healthy. It also means if you don't like what they do, you can fire them. I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. You know, if someone doesn't give me a good service that I need, I want to say I'm going to go get someone else to provide that service to me."
Sounds a little different than "I enjoy firing people."
I'll give you credit for ignorance rather than accuse you of deception.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Did this style of public speaking start in Germany?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Could be that other people feel the same as Obama. Let's say, summer is here, no school. A 12 year old kid wants to be an evil capitalist and test an entepreneural endeavor and sell lemonade. The kid goes to the local grocery store and buys lemons and paper cups, comes home and gets a pitcher from the kitchen, some sugar, ice cubes. Goes to the garage and drags out a table to the side walk. Sets up everthing and starts selling to his friends for .25 a cup.
the kids father, a devouted Obamabot comes home from work. The kid is excited and tells his father, 'look Dad, I made $10 today selling lemonade. Are you proud of me?'
Father says 'You didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. You didn't build the table or grow the lemons. In fact, if it wasn't for our government, there wouldn't be a sidewalk for your friends to get to our house'. Kids response- Jaw dropped in stunned amazement with what he heared.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:56 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Sununu then introduced four small business people, all of whom did a great job of pushing back against Obama’s casual dismissal of their hard work. Kyle Kahler and his brothers and sisters own a tool and die company in Ohio. He pointed out that if all it took to have a successful business is a road in front of your building, as Obama seems to believe, then everyone would have one. Instead, building a small business requires, more than anything else, sacrifice. Kahler and his family went without new cars, vacations and so on so that they could reinvest money in their business. In the end, the business succeeded and has paid millions of dollars in taxes as well as millions in payrolls. Obama, he said, is ignorant. The government is getting a free ride on the backs of businesses, not the other way around.
powerlineblog

Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Not only is Obama right; he's stating the obvious!

People are born with God-given talents and abilities, their physical traits, their culture, language, etc. We are not self-made. (But we can convince ourselves that we are.)

Peace!
brian

Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yes, corporations are paying more in raw dollar terms, unadjusted for inflation and population growth. That really isn't news. A candy bar used to cost a nickel. Now they cost a buck.

Yes, and another surprise, GDP grew too:

And when you divide corporate tax revenue by GDP one gets the first graph.
Oh my gosh, it's math!
You do realize, of course, that corporate income taxes are only a way to get more money from people without them knowing it. All corporate costs including taxes are covered by the customers.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:19 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Paul Ryan's response:

"The President recently suggested that a central government — not individuals — deserves the credit for building successful businesses. This sentiment makes for terrible economics, but also reveals a confused morality. In a free community, everyone co-operates by voluntarily offering unique gifts: some invent, some invest, others labor, or sell while customers reward the best producers and providers by buying their products and services. . . . A free economy and strong communities are the best means to reward effort with justice, to promote upward mobility, and to build solidarity among citizens. The President’s vision of a government-centered society — reflected in both his troubling rhetoric and his failed policies — belittles fair rewards for labor and enterprise. "

Obama lets the cat out of the bag - Right Turn - The Washington Post

Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey
Yeah, we've already learned, the problem being in this together with the Thief in Chief is that 'he who controls the gold is not your friend.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Great glad you finally get what Obama was saying. Now you can continue to hate the messenger.
Sorry, I've had his message since 2008. You will NOT, under any condition, find any where near me a breath of support for Obama. He can brush his shiny teeth in front of me and tell me he brushed his shiny teeth. All I will see or hear is FRAUD. The same message he delivered in 2008.

But I hadn't really intended for you to bring that up.

And if I say I'm sorry, then sorry, it's not really an apology... just a polite figure of speech.

Last edited by Willsson; 07-18-2012 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies