Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Awww! Has the media created, 'great orator' been misunderstood again?

guess being a great orator doesn't include being a good communicator.

Obama, 'the most misunderstood great orator'...

Pelosi's historic quote no longer stands alone as the most embarassing words ever spoken in American history!!

Who can stand with Obama and Pelosi and be proud?
It is easy to edit ones words to alter their meaning. You know you're doing so because you know the words in context. That my friend is a lie, you are actively pushing a lie.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I just don't agree with the argument that if you had an advantage somewhere you get no credit ever for anything you accomplish in life. I don't have to know someone personally to see that they are ambitious.

My timetable may or may not be right, but obviously you are missing the point. Perhaps it is clearer to you if say some would just live off their inheritance until it was gone. Don't be knit picky.
I don't know or care if he had help or advantage. Like all of us we are born into our circumstances, my circumstances was the same as the average American. I didn't cry or blame and stay in the same place. I used my brain, worked, took risk, lost sleep, and I made something of myself, I pay a lot of taxes, and no help from the Goverment. I also help others and mentor. Business people are always willing to help people who are trying and have half a brain. Thank you god for good ole fashion capitalistic America. Please don't change it for there are others who understand and are trying to reach the American dream. The others who's minds are closed, we can't help them other than to pay their way because they don't know any better.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Funny, y'all typically refer to government as "confiscating your money," not investing it.
Investing in what? Solyndra? Electric cars? Welfare?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The government doesn't build anything. They take money from the pool of taxes that WE PAY, my father paid, my grandfather paid.

He should have said "the citizens of this country invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- the government didn’t build that, YOU DID"

What don't you liberals understand about "of the people, by the people, for the people"?
That is right. People who pay taxes pay the people who build roads, and everyone including people who don't pay taxes use them.

The Goverment is supposed to do what's right for all people.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 AM

827 posts, read 1,089,395 times
Remember "The Life of Julia"? At 42, she started a web business. But according to Obama, she didn't build that.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Investing in what? Solyndra? Electric cars? Welfare?
No silly. "Green jobs and earth services"

Project Veritas: Legislators, Union Bosses Seek Funding for Digging Holes and Filling Them Back In - YouTube

Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
What Obama said, what he actually said, not the GOP spin, is much light the little offering prayer they say at my church...

We drink from wells we did not dig.
We have been warmed by fires we did not build.
We shelter ourselves under trees we did not plant.
We light this chalice in thanksgiving for those who passed their light to us.

Without the foundation laid by those that came before us, your achievements would not be possible.
We heard him clear enough:

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher (government employee) somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that (government) allowed you to thrive. Somebody (government) invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

All his examples of what "made it happen" were government, government, and government. Whether it was government's NASA space program, a government fire department, or government financed roads, bridges, dams, all of Obama's examples were government.

Not one of Obama's examples cited a private entrepreneur, which is no surprise, since in Obama's world, only government can help, only government is worthy of praise.

It's clear what he meant, we owe everything to government. When Obama says "somebody" he means "government". Only government "allowed you to thrive". So give back to government, pay more taxes.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
He wouldn't say something like that because he never believed that, given his background (what we know of it anyway given his fanaticism with secrecy) employment at secretive outfits (Business International Corporation, a clandestine outfit which provided cover to CIA employees in four different countries beyween 1955 & 1960 according to the NYT), and other things he's been trying to hide for three-plus decades.

That's just not his mindset; his mindset is that capitalism is a thing to be despised and destroyed as opposed to being something to praise and celebrate.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's clear what he meant, we owe everything to government. When Obama says "somebody" he means "government". Only government "allowed you to thrive". So give back to government, pay more taxes.
...and it's "ok" to be a small businessowner, so long as you don't mind being socially ostracized by the clock punchers and "knocked down a notch". Oh, by the way, the clock punchers outnumber the small businessowner.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Due to Obama's rather limited experience with doing anything by himself it is perfectly understandable that he believes that everyone else is a user like himself. Why else would he so closely relate to those who are dependent upon the government to survive? Why else would he seek to expand the numbers of people who need government assistance? He wants to be able to fit in. He never achieved a thing on his own and without a great deal of help. Thats why he wants us all to believe that no one else can either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies