Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Ummmm, maybe it's because Iran has threatened to shut off the straight of Hormuz again?
You dont suppose our sanctions have anything to do with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
Jews are banned in Iran. Practicing Judaism in Iran results in a death sentence.
Things aren't always easy for Jews in Iran, but Iran does have the largest Jewish population in the region outside of Israel itself (about 25,000 people).

Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Americans also love to imitate Italians in their cooking, fashion, cars...
Get over yourself. Americans don't "imitate" any country. We are a nation of immigrants. What has happened is that the cultures that came with immigration became part of our life. Lucky for us because what we have are choices.

If we eat plain white rice, are we imitating the Chinese/Japanese? If I add some curry powder to my rice am I imitating Pakistan/India? If I add cumin to my rice am I imitating Arab culture? Let me add some sugar and cut up a mango so I can imitate Thai desert.

We are one of the fashion centers of the world.

Now back on topic.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
As an American, and as much as I'm not proud to say this, the more I live in Europe, and interact with Europeans, the more American culture seems very barbaric. I didn't see it so clearly while I still lived in the US, but now that I'm out, it's just amazing..

Peace,
brian
Europe? LOL. Look at the conquests of your european non barbarians. LOL.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Rules of engangement after the Cole.......

2. After this incident, the navies of many countries undertook an exercise to revise and update the rules of engagement when confronted with a possible maritime terrorism situation. Two possible scenarios received special attention:
  • SCENARIO NO 1: An unidentified boat approaches a naval ship in or near a harbor. The revised rules of engagement reportedly provide for immediate neutralisation of such a boat before it could come within ramming or boarding distance of the ship without waiting to verify the intention of the boat. Action can be initiated even at the risk of casualties of innocent civilians.
  • SCENARIO NO.2: A naval ship moving or patrolling in high seas encounters an unidentified ship or boat moving around in suspicious circumstances or which seems to be coming towards the naval ship. This scenario gives some window for verification. The revised rules of engagement provide for opening fire if the suspicious ship or boat resists attempts at verification or opens fire or seems to be planning to open dire on the naval ship. Appropriately judging the situation and acting is left to the discretion of the naval personnel depending on the circumstances of the case.
3. These revised rules of engagement, which were designed mainly to deal with maritime terrorism situations, also apply to situations involving armed pirates, irrespective of whether they are acting on their own or in association with a terrorist organisation. These revised rules of engagement are now being brough into action by naval ships on anti-piracy patrol in the Gulf of Aden and other areas to counter the activities of Somali pirates. The French naval ships operating in these waters were the first to start using more robust methods to deal with suspected pirate boats and ships. .

Rules Of Engagement In Maritime Counter-Terrorism & Counter-Piracy - International Terrorism Monitor--- Paper No. 469

Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Barbaric American thinking brought you personal computers, Internet, the telephone, the television, the air conditioner, etc.

The most innovative group of people ever. Ever.

Huh? Telephone? Better check that one out dude. How many other innovations are you laying claim to that were actually invented by other countries citizens.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Brian could you please help me so that I may understand where you are coming from? Has not the U.S. military, and US administration been talking with Iran for years about letting the nuclear scientists come and inspect Iran's nuclear plants?
From all the interviews and news articles that I have seen, my understanding is that Iran has always abided by international nuclear inspections. (This is something that Israel fails to do, however.)

A bit of equality across the board would be a good start, no?

Peace,
brian

Old 07-17-2012, 02:03 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Get over yourself. Americans don't "imitate" any country. We are a nation of immigrants. What has happened is that the cultures that came with immigration became part of our life. Lucky for us because what we have are choices.

If we eat plain white rice, are we imitating the Chinese/Japanese? If I add some curry powder to my rice am I imitating Pakistan/India? If I add cumin to my rice am I imitating Arab culture? Let me add some sugar and cut up a mango so I can imitate Thai desert.

We are one of the fashion centers of the world.

Now back on topic.
You can't be serious..

Peace,
brian

Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
From all the interviews and news articles that I have seen, my understanding is that Iran has always abided by international nuclear inspections. (This is something that Israel fails to do, however.)

A bit of equality across the board would be a good start, no?

Peace,
brian
From what I gather Iran has not abided by the inspections and have been very resistant to inspectors.
That said I agree with you in regards to Israel. The USA needs to stop acting like Israels wet nurse and let them answer up equally.
This is really a case of Iranian government v.s the US government. The average citizen bears no ill will towards the other. I have been posting for years that until the US Gov steps back or treats israel with an equally critical eye there can be no peace.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
You can't be serious..

Peace,
brian
How many people want to immigrate to Italy v.s the USA?
who wants to move to Iran?
That says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies