Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,402,962 times

Advertisements

The Republicans are saying how America is broke. The Democrats are saying how we need to raise taxes to help the government spend more of our money. Yet the Republicans want us to play less taxes while the Democrats are wanting to tax the rich more. Even with the the Bush cuts, it seems to me that his tax cuts have hurt the economy in the sense that the government has received less tax revenue while our deficit continued to grow at an astronomical rate. Remember the 1.2 trillion Afghan war that was basically financed on money we didn't have?

So what is the solution? Spend less? Spend less on what? Cut programs? Whose programs do we cut? No one seems to agree, and yet we continue to raise our debt ceiling each and every year. When does this insanity end?

I have a solution, and I am 100% sure that no Democrat or Republican would agree with me.

Lets just have no more tax breaks or corporate tax loopholes for anyone anymore. Every tax payer and business/corporation just pay a flat tax regardless of what we make, with no write-offs. Yes no write offs, we can't write off interest on homes, charitable contributions, write off kids, pets, and or relatives who are not even US citizens lol. Americans give more than they can write off in charitable contributions anyway. So how about 10% flat tax on all wage earners? Lets just make the tax code simple. We all give the feds 10% of our earnings and each state about 5%. Take away social security and make every wage earner save 10% of his income in a safe IRA/Private retirement investment account. Herman Cain was making a little sense to me about flat taxes on everyone. But again, maybe he didn't understand how the tax code works. But does anyone these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,185,781 times
Well, you're misrepresenting Republican and Democrat positions on the issue. Democrats say that they'll compromise, cut programs as long as some taxes are raised. It would extremely difficult to cut enough to balance the budget. Those cuts will mostly impact the poor and middle class. Republicans have mostly signed no tax pledges, so they've agreed to do nothing rather than compromise.

In terms of your solution, haven't shown any data showing that it is valid. A purely flat tax would raise the taxes on most people and that would be the lowest income earners. The more wealthy would see a tax cut. Taxpayers who depend on things like mortgage deductions and student loan interest deductions would be greatly hurt.

Good luck getting anyone to make your social security changes. Bush tried with a Republican congress and senate and that idea died quick. You also can't tell someone who is 60 that they won't get social security and they have to start saving.

Nice ideas, but try to think they through next time and look at the latent vs manifest consequences.

By the way, the solution is to do something sensible. Cut some programs and raise taxes to balance the books. It won't happen as long as those tea bagger morons and the social conservatives dominate the Republican Party.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,979,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The Republicans are saying how America is broke. The Democrats are saying how we need to raise taxes to help the government spend more of our money. Yet the Republicans want us to play less taxes while the Democrats are wanting to tax the rich more. Even with the the Bush cuts, it seems to me that his tax cuts have hurt the economy in the sense that the government has received less tax revenue while our deficit continued to grow at an astronomical rate. Remember the 1.2 trillion Afghan war that was basically financed on money we didn't have?
The problem was not that not enough was raised. It was that too much was spent. That includes all the money spent on the wars.

Quote:
So what is the solution? Spend less? Spend less on what? Cut programs? Whose programs do we cut? No one seems to agree, and yet we continue to raise our debt ceiling each and every year. When does this insanity end?
Just because the two sides can't agree doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Quote:
I have a solution, and I am 100% sure that no Democrat or Republican would agree with me.

Lets just have no more tax breaks or corporate tax loopholes for anyone anymore. Every tax payer and business/corporation just pay a flat tax regardless of what we make, with no write-offs. Yes no write offs, we can't write off interest on homes, charitable contributions, write off kids, pets, and or relatives who are not even US citizens lol. Americans give more than they can write off in charitable contributions anyway. So how about 10% flat tax on all wage earners? Lets just make the tax code simple. We all give the feds 10% of our earnings and each state about 5%. Take away social security and make every wage earner save 10% of his income in a safe IRA/Private retirement investment account. Herman Cain was making a little sense to me about flat taxes on everyone. But again, maybe he didn't understand how the tax code works. But does anyone these days?
Something similiar to this has been suggested by many people. It won't happen because appx 50% of the population will argue that they shouldn't pay anything in taxes. Just to note though, not that I wouldn't agree to something to get a simplification. Any corporate tax is just a tax on individuals as it simply passes through as costs.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:41 AM

26,918 posts, read 15,136,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
........and make every wage earner save 10% of his income in a safe IRA/Private retirement investment account. .
There's that government control and dictate to the individual again. Remember SS was promised to be safe as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Well, you're misrepresenting Republican and Democrat positions on the issue. Democrats say that they'll compromise, cut programs as long as some taxes are raised. It would extremely difficult to cut enough to balance the budget. Those cuts will mostly impact the poor and middle class. Republicans have mostly signed no tax pledges, so they've agreed to do nothing rather than compromise.
The Dems say they will agree to cuts later. Cuts that will never come. We've been there which is why that argument will never work.

Quote:
In terms of your solution, haven't shown any data showing that it is valid. A purely flat tax would raise the taxes on most people and that would be the lowest income earners. The more wealthy would see a tax cut. Taxpayers who depend on things like mortgage deductions and student loan interest deductions would be greatly hurt.
This is of course why it will never happen in such a simplistic form. I've long advocated a little more complex flat tax. Now I'm just making these numbers up for an example. I do not know what they would be exactly.

0-20K 2%
20k-50k 5%
50k-100k 10%
100k-500k 15%
500K Plus 20%

No deductions. We would have a one page tax form.

Income __________
Tax __________
Amt Paid _________
Amt owed or due _________

We could then make the IRS much smaller. This will of course never happen either as it doesn't allow politicians give away tax cuts for votes.

Quote:
Good luck getting anyone to make your social security changes. Bush tried with a Republican congress and senate and that idea died quick. You also can't tell someone who is 60 that they won't get social security and they have to start saving.
What we should do is a mixture. Now this would have to start with younger workers. Those who are 60 are already too invested in the old ponzi scheme.

A percent would go into a pool like now and a percent would go into personal accounts that can't be touched until a certain age.

Quote:
By the way, the solution is to do something sensible. Cut some programs and raise taxes to balance the books. It won't happen as long as those tea bagger morons and the social conservatives dominate the Republican Party.
Or as long as people like you only want to demonize others and not see that the problem lies in many areas.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 AM

37,759 posts, read 40,861,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

This is of course why it will never happen in such a simplistic form. I've long advocated a little more complex flat tax. Now I'm just making these numbers up for an example. I do not know what they would be exactly.

0-20K 2%
20k-50k 5%
50k-100k 10%
100k-500k 15%
500K Plus 20%

No deductions. We would have a one page tax form.

This doesn't look like a flat tax to me.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This doesn't look like a flat tax to me.
Try looking beyond a simplistic view of what a flat tax is. But in the end, call it whatever you like.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,038,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
0-20K 2%
20k-50k 5%
50k-100k 10%
100k-500k 15%
500K Plus 20%
This is still progressive. Simplify it more.

0-10K 0%
10k-500k 20%
500K Plus 25%

Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is still progressive. Simplify it more.

0-10K 0%
10k-500k 20%
500K Plus 25%
I'm not real concerned over what the exact numbers are at this point. It's not worth the effort as there is nobody with any say proposing this.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,038,668 times
OP, you have it backwards with how much the state and the fed should take. Right now, the fed takes in a large chunk of cash and redistribute to states. This gives the feds quite a bit of control over how states spend money. It also creates the problem of where productive states like California, New Jersey and New York are providing welfare to unproductive states like New Mexico and West Virginia.

Let the states collect 10% and the fed collect 5% and disable the redistribution (I'm just using your numbers, backwards... they should probably be higher). Give the governors the power and responsibility to make their state a success without the help of welfare from other states.

I mean, seriously, how sad is it that folks in the most productive states only see an ROI of 50% while the folks in the least productive states see an ROI of 200%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies