Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times

Advertisements

Americans should be very proud of their political process and should want to protect it. Photo ID would help stop such insults as presented by the ACORN organization and others. See Anita Moncrief. Whatever the USA becomes, it should always be a representation of the people therein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:30 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Americans should be very proud of their political process and should want to protect it. Photo ID would help stop such insults as presented by the ACORN organization and others. See Anita Moncrief. Whatever the USA becomes, it should always be a representation of the people therein.
The ACORN incident you reference is total republican fantasy. You reference that, you better be able to provide unbiased indisputeable links to the fraud you are speaking of. Not some right wing reference. The American voting process has been working just fine for many, many years.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I dont want to get too far off topic but if I were black here is one thing that would bother me... I saw a video of a fluffy wimpy white band playing a wimpy tune and eventually they were being followed by hordes of black youth in a dreamy neverland that makes you puke. Dont you guys get sick of being used to make wimpy white people "feel good"?

You are not black therefore statements like "If I were black" have absolutely zero validity.

It would be the same if posted "If I was white".

The premise of such "If I were black" assertions posits that you actually know, understand, or even care about how black people think, feel, or what they experience living in America on a day to day basis. The fact used such a premise was used clearly indicates that you don't.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Typical idiot liberal logic.
Funny it was Conservatives that originally professed: "America, love it or leave it".

Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You are not black therefore statements like "If I were black" have absolutely zero validity.

It would be the same if posted "If I was white".

The premise of such "If I were black" assertions posits that you actually know, understand, or even care about how black people think, feel, or what they experience living in America on a day to day basis. The fact used such a premise was used clearly indicates that you don't.
Well perhaps youre black, can you answer my question?

Old 07-18-2012, 03:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Can you provide evidence of the black community who were upset about Cosby's statements? You say black community as if all black people were against what Bill Cosby said. Perhaps you meant to say that the Black underclass had a problem with it?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I do remember many articles from black pundits calling for BC's head for being an Uncle Tom, etc. Hopefully, your computer is up to date enough that you have google installed.
Just wanted to note that in response to her question, you did not provide evidence that black Americans have a distaste for Bill Cosby for the things he said.

We are both black. I can verify, being that after his 2004 comments (nearly 10 years ago I might add) that I went to an event where he spoke and it was standing room only and 98% black people in the audience and he received rounds and rounds of applause and lots of support. The majority of black people agreed with what he said. The media would have you believe we didn't, and a few black figures - Michael Eric Dyson is one I remember being critical, and some entertainers like Russell Simmons, but they are not reflective of all black Americans in this country. What you stated - that black people shunned Cosby due to his comments - is incorrect. Cosby is still popular and beloved amongst black people and is a frequent guest on black media outlets and I don't know one black person who was upset at him for what he said. I do know some who think he shouldn't have said it out in public like that, basically "airing dirty laundry" but even they agree with his actual comments.

I did google it to see what would pop up and there were just a bunch of articles saying "was Bill Cosby Right?" written by main stream media outlets who are generally not reflective of black American opinions. There was an article, opinion piece actually, written in TIME by a black person that states the following:

Quote:
After Cosby's speech, a number of my friends and relatives, some of whom were in attendance some of whom heard about the furor afterwards, expressed dismay at the statements — but several were more horrified that he had gone public, not at the opinions themselves. Cosby's comments did not contain any new arguments.
(TIME article)

Basically the same thing I said. And his views are not new views, black people talk like he did all the time.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to note that in response to her question, you did not provide evidence that black Americans have a distaste for Bill Cosby for the things he said.

We are both black. I can verify, being that after his 2004 comments (nearly 10 years ago I might add) that I went to an event where he spoke and it was standing room only and 98% black people in the audience and he received rounds and rounds of applause and lots of support. The majority of black people agreed with what he said. The media would have you believe we didn't, and a few black figures - Michael Eric Dyson is one I remember being critical, and some entertainers like Russell Simmons, but they are not reflective of all black Americans in this country. What you stated - that black people shunned Cosby due to his comments - is incorrect. Cosby is still popular and beloved amongst black people and is a frequent guest on black media outlets and I don't know one black person who was upset at him for what he said. I do know some who think he shouldn't have said it out in public like that, basically "airing dirty laundry" but even they agree with his actual comments.

I did google it to see what would pop up and there were just a bunch of articles saying "was Bill Cosby Right?" written by main stream media outlets who are generally not reflective of black American opinions. There was an article, opinion piece actually, written in TIME by a black person that states the following:

(TIME article)

Basically the same thing I said. And his views are not new views, black people talk like he did all the time.
Thanks fore clearing that up.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I do remember many articles from black pundits calling for BC's head for being an Uncle Tom, etc. Hopefully, your computer is up to date enough that you have google installed.

Look, I'm not in disagreement with any of the main points of the OP's or yours or anybody's post's in this thread with the exception of the usual racist suspects. My only point is that the failings of the black community's underclass is not related in any way to the Republican agenda of requiring photo ID to vote. These are really two seperate and distinct issues. You want to discuss the failings of the black underclass then start another of the many hundreds of threads on this issue that have already run their course on CD. You want to discuss the pros and cons of the Photo ID laws being passed by individual states then a thread dedicated to that issue will have my willing participation. Neither one is even remotely related, IMO.
No arguements here and I don't want to offend or get in a pi$$ing match with anyone.
Bill Cosby's name is evoked on this forum more than any other as some sort of symbol of "how Blacks should think". I want the people who constantly post about Bill Cosby to take a step back and just really absorb what I am about to write:

We (as in MANY, if not the majority of Black Americans) already agree with much of what Bill Cosby says so there really is no need to constantly throw him out there as some sort of guidepost. I have noticed that the people who tend to constantly evoke the name of Bill Cosby obviously do not have Black people as friends in their personal lives because if they did they would be aware of this fact already.

Also, I wish that some White people would stop making the presumption that the opinion of random pundits represent ALL or even most Black Americans. And even further, I wish that White people would recognize that Black Americans are NOT a monolithic group with one mindset. There is a great deal of diversity of values, opinions, etc amongst Black Americans

Old 07-19-2012, 11:11 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Bill Cosby's name is evoked on this forum more than any other as some sort of symbol of "how Blacks should think". I want the people who constantly post about Bill Cosby to take a step back and just really absorb what I am about to write:

We (as in MANY, if not the majority of Black Americans) already agree with much of what Bill Cosby says so there really is no need to constantly throw him out there as some sort of guidepost. I have noticed that the people who tend to constantly evoke the name of Bill Cosby obviously do not have Black people as friends in their personal lives because if they did they would be aware of this fact already.

Also, I wish that some White people would stop making the presumption that the opinion of random pundits represent ALL or even most Black Americans. And even further, I wish that White people would recognize that Black Americans are NOT a monolithic group with one mindset. There is a great deal of diversity of values, opinions, etc amongst Black Americans
Thanks. This needed to be said.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Too bad it will be promptly ignored by 5:00pm today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies