Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Where exactly did you read that I stated that I randomly witnessed people hitting each other? Dont worry about where I grew up.
You said that YOU NOTICE that it's common for men to hit women back. You said men would intervene in the violence even while you were growing up and now they're apparently not. I'm asking how you happen to notice this crap. I spend a great deal of time outside and don't see anybody hitting anyone. And c'mon, I'm not worried about where you grew up or where you live now. I'm sure you belong there. I'm just curious about which trashy neighborhood you're referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You said that YOU NOTICE that it's common for men to hit women back. You said men would intervene in the violence even while you were growing up and now they're apparently not. I'm asking how you happen to notice this crap. I spend a great deal of time outside and don't see anybody hitting anyone. And c'mon, I'm not worried about where you grew up or where you live now. I'm sure you belong there. I'm just curious about which trashy neighborhood you're referring to.
The one right outside your trailer..lol.."c'mon" -- nothing..like I said, dont worry about where I grew up, worry about dodging those heroin needles on your doorstep.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The one right outside your trailer..lol.."c'mon" -- nothing..like I said, dont worry about where I grew up, worry about dodging those heroin needles on your doorstep.
That's exactly my point. It's going to be either a ghetto, trailer park, or similar. You know it. And I know a number of people on this board assume their ghetto/park et al is pervasive across the states, but it's simply not. And this is especially the case for the small enclave of effed up men and women that bang their fists online to their gods of internet hyperbole. They (you perhaps) do not represent the population at large.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
That's exactly my point. It's going to be either a ghetto, trailer park, or similar. You know it. And I know a number of people on this board assume their ghetto/park et al is pervasive across the states, but it's simply not. And this is especially the case for the small enclave of effed up men and women that bang their fists online to their gods of internet hyperbole. They (you perhaps) do not represent the population at large.
Gods of internet hyperbole?...does such a god even exist?...anyway, if you dont know what Im talking about keep it moving...all this jibber jabber about violence between men and women being confined to ghettos and trailer parks doesnt negate the fact that it exists in both impoverished areas AND suburbia. Thats like saying that just because Scott Peterson didnt live in the ghetto, then people who murder pregnant women dont exist in the ghetto...

Now, if you have decided to bury your head in the sand, or if you havent witnessed it then just say so...I have no grudge with that either way, but dont sit there and try to make it seem like some rare isolated incident nowdays just because you havent seen it or heard about it. If you disagree with my take on this issue, take it up with the experts. Be sure to tell them not to "pound their fists in internet hyperbole bah bah bah bah" or whatever.

Suburbs not immune to violence | SouthCoastToday.com

"Domestic violence may be more visible in the city, but it occurs as frequently in the green-trimmed lawns and quiet neighborhoods in the suburbs, experts say. "

Last edited by soletaire; 07-19-2012 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Gods of internet hyperbole?...does such a god even exist?...anyway, if you dont know what Im talking about keep it moving...all this jibber jabber about violence between men and women being confined to ghettos and trailer parks doesnt negate the fact that it exists in both impoverished areas AND suburbia. Thats like saying that just because Scott Peterson didnt live in the ghetto, then people who murder pregnant women dont exist in the ghetto...
Sorry, but people are not walking around and smacking each other on the streets of the burbs. That's not to say violence never happens, but certainly not to a degree where you would see it to get involved with it in the first place. That's not a complicated point to grasp.

Quote:
Now, if you have decided to bury your head in the sand, or if you havent witnessed it then just say so...I have no grudge with that either way, but dont sit there and try to make it seem like some rare isolated incident nowdays just because you havent seen it or heard about it. If you disagree with my take on this issue, take it up with the experts. Be sure to tell them not to "pound their fists in internet hyperbole bah bah bah bah" or whatever.

"Domestic violence may be more visible in the city, but it occurs as frequently in the green-trimmed lawns and quiet neighborhoods in the suburbs, experts say. "
See above. Same point.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Getting out of the trailer park and back to Zimbardo.

He may be on to something as far as societal disconnect goes. As a high school teacher I deal with adolescents on a daily basis (obviously) and I can anecdotally tell you that the ability to interact verbally, pick up non-verbal cues and interact socially has deteriorated over the 28 years I've been teaching. As a side note I can also tell which kids have a father in the house by the way they act when I give them the "Dad Look".

As long as 15 years ago I started to notice this, kids would tell me about their dates. They would invariably include going to someone's house and playing video games.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but people are not walking around and smacking each other on the streets of the burbs. That's not to say violence never happens, but certainly not to a degree where you would see it to get involved with it in the first place. That's not a complicated point to grasp.
Believe what you want...Im just the messenger..tell it to the experts.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Quote:

DV is a lot more hidden in the burbs, just like many of the other bad things that happen their. Many posters on this board, both liberal and conservative, turn a blind eye to it. They are so obsessed with minority ghetto youths they are blinded what is happening in their own backyards. Just like their are way more kids than people realize in the burbs who are druggies, having sex like their is no tomorrow and have been arrested. Their are many people who keep it hush because they are afraid their nice and easy way of life will end with a DV call and arrest. They are also afraid of the shame from their family and friends as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
DV is a lot more hidden in the burbs, just like many of the other bad things that happen their. Many posters on this board, both liberal and conservative, turn a blind eye to it. They are so obsessed with minority ghetto youths they are blinded what is happening in their own backyards. Just like their are way more kids than people realize in the burbs who are druggies, having sex like their is no tomorrow and have been arrested. Their are many people who keep it hush because they are afraid their nice and easy way of life will end with a DV call and arrest. They are also afraid of the shame from their family and friends as well.
Very true. Well said. My intent wasnt to derail the thread with talk about violence in suburbs vs. ghetto violence. But it seems that the mere mention of it caused a very unnecessary backlash. What you stated is exactly why I was trying to make clear that: my point wasnt even to say that it merely "exists" in the suburbs, as if to minimalize its prevalence there. Rather, domestic violence which is the most common form of violence between men and women, is EVERY BIT as common in suburbia, and has nothing to do with what neighborhood I or anyone else "grew up" in, trashy or otherwise. And for anyone to deflect that reality in efforts to project onto and preserve some clean and pure fantasy image that suburbia holds is disingenuous, particularly even the people who research these trends for a living state that their experience doesnt support that image.

Last edited by soletaire; 07-19-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
You are asserting that many are aware of it yet turn a blind eye, but the problem is as important and reaches the heights as the inner cities? If that's the case you should easily be able to compare burb ER rooms with inner city ER rooms; burb police reports with inner city police reports; etc. I challenge you and soletaire to make the case in scale if you can. Regarding drugs in the burbs- it no doubt reaches these kids. There is one difference, tho. Most of the time their parents give a shyte, so they do, or try to, deal with it. If that were the case in impoverished neighborhoods it wouldn't be a problem. Frankly, I find it ludicrous that any of you think the priviledged require such attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies