Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,223,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Actually they don't allow guns in Aurora, or the theater.
Correct. Aurora is a gun free zone, so this shooting didn't actually happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM

They had to wait to not appear insensitive, but not too long as to lose the political momentum. Got to strike now, while emotions still overwhelm reason.

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence : Home

Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
There's something really, truly wrong with you people
Don't worry, the Brady Bunch are on the case and have just updated their site with another petition in response to the shooting.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,994,581 times
There are a lot of altercations here in NYC. You see it all the time. If two dudes are walking down the street, and one of them takes offense to being stared at, he's going to be like "Yo homie waz really good"? Instead of this being a regular felony assault, since firearms are legal, they are going to act on impulse and shoot at each other. Just look at the countless subway altercations on Youtube,

Fight on NYC 6 Train - YouTube

New York City Train Fight. - YouTube

FIGHT- Guy on subway flipping out (MUST SEE) - YouTube

crazy lady attacks! nyc subway - YouTube

And on and on...

I shiver to think if all these people had access to guns. What kind of education do they teach you all in redneck county? Simple logic. If guns are easier to attain, then there is going to be MORE gun violence. A lot of people would love to own guns, but don't know anyone to hook them up illegally.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,174,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Don't worry, the Brady Bunch are on the case and have just updated their site with another petition in response to the shooting.
You really do have something wrong with you, and the scariest part is that you don't have a clue why.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,772,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
I'm sick and tired to discuss with a gun-nut who lives in a alternative reality.
Brush your gun and bring it to church, to the mall and/or whereever you want.
Bye.
In the mean time this might not be a bad idea till you resolve the problem. To bad that it has come to this...Even if there was a responsible gun owner in the theater and guns were permitted- It's pretty hard to fend off someone in body armor blasting away with an assault rifle..Still it would take quite the hero to have rid the theater of the threat...Someone making the miracle shot could have stopped the crazed young man...Who was not some under privileged black banger...but a person from a wealthy family who was going to medical school.

Imagine had he continued in medical school and became a doctor- He could have murdered thousands undetected...It's really so evil that it makes me sick thinking of how far we have let the enemy advance.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,972,264 times
I believe in CCWs. That being said, your average CCW holder would not have the necessary training to deal with this type of situation. You have a dark and crowded theater. Add in tear gas that caused your eyes to tear, your nose to run, and a choking feeling. On top of this you have panicked people. Even if someone with a CCW was there, you run into the issue of that person unable to deal with the excessive stimuli. They become myopic on the target only and disregard the potential other victims that may be also harmed.

This is the training I received in the military; they try to simulate these extreme circumstances. I'm sure LEO gets something similar but the average CCW holder would not have this training.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:05 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,051,601 times
Jesus. I've seen dozens of movies in that theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You really do have something wrong with you, and the scariest part is that you don't have a clue why.
Gonna blame me for the Brady Bunch capitalizing on this in less than 12 hours? That's nice.

4,112 posts, read 4,459,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Hyperbole shtick aside...

If the CCW holder is an ex-LEO, ex-mil or a very well trained civilian with the ability to act calmly in a panicked situation, walks up behind them, presses the gun to their head and pulls the trigger, it does the job pretty well. Plus, the front of the helmet will prevent the exiting bullet from maintaining velocity. It might even ricochet back into the shooter's head. Win-win. Also, hollow points often do not maintain velocity after entering the recipient of the bullet.

Jared was tackled by bystanders who remained calm in the chaos. If they can tackle a crazed maniac unarmed in utter chaos, I don't see why the situation I described couldn't work.

I'm also interested how you rationalize the math on one or two innocent bystanders being injured or killed in a self-defense outcome versus the 12 dead/50 injured that actually occurred.
You have a lot of IF scenarios. Now if "walking calmly" up to him to put a bullet in the back of his head is the solution then lol I don't know what to tell you. Lots of people would still be dead or injured. Do you have a background in firearm safety? I'm pretty sure it says not to shoot in panicked crowded closed rooms when you can't clearly identify your target. You know, because of darkness and the Tear gas cloud and all, plus the other 5-10 super soldiers firing away as well. But you know, I've never had the pleasure of being stuck in a movie theater in which I had to shoot an assailant that was firing into a panicked crowd who was prepared to die. Maybe you have and your expertise is more valid than objective and logical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies