Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 02:39 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Is there any proof that at least some people inside the theater weren't armed? It seems likely that some were; concealed carry is very common across Colorado.
Aurora is a gun free zone.

Quote:

But in a situation like that, most people are going to be in a state of confusion, and the natural reaction will not be to stand up in the line of fire to try and figure out:
They say that in every situation, yet a CCWer often seems to prevail in many scenarios with few if any bystanders shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:39 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Aren't you the same person who was getting on people pages back for speculating that he was crazy or mentally ill?

Now all of a sudden you can predict what would happen if he was shot, if there was a CCW in the crowd, that he was making tactical errors etc.

No one here knows what would have happened. It's all guesswork and speculation. The same guesswork and speculation you were railing against pages back.
I think he just decided to participate in the debate from a valid point of view. You or I may not agree but his points have merit depending on where one stands on the right to bear arms issue. Admittedly, he started off in the thread with a political agenda but changed it midway to rational arguements.
Now it appears that the anti-gunners have picked up the political agenda and are going to milk this for all the mileage they can get. I would expect many anti-gun threads on various sites and the media calling for somebody to DO SOMETHING!!!! Most likely ban this, ban that and curtail the purchase of firearms by law abiding citizens. I find the misinformation and total ignorance about the subject from my usual allies in this thread to be quite disheartening.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yeah but the local cops are allowed to carry firearms - this bit of hypocrisy from the gun control nuts never fails to amuse me.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That's nice. Like the Dirty Harry reference too. Not really relevant, but it's cute.

We'll just agree to disagree on the feasibility of several CCWers simultaneously plugging the untrained military type wannabe who's openly displaying himself front and center in the theater.
Yes I can picture the scene, maybe it's something better suited for a Hollywood movie.

It goes something like this:

Enter Psycho

Psycho wearing all black ballistic uniform, helmet and gas mask enters through the back door of a pitch black movie theatre into a full house, drops tear gas canisters. Walking in a slow deliberate manner facing the audience he sprays them with bullets when all of the sudden, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Sylvester Stallone strategically placed around the audience, all stand up at once, aim and fire their 450 Magnums at the same time on the psycho killer.

End scene.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Now it appears that the anti-gunners have picked up the political agenda and are going to milk this for all the mileage they can get. I would expect many anti-gun threads on various sites and the media calling for somebody to DO SOMETHING!!!! Most likely ban this, ban that and curtail the purchase of firearms by law abiding citizens. I find the misinformation and total ignorance about the subject from my usual allies in this thread to be quite disheartening.
Yup. That's why I was hoping and praying that the Brady campaign wouldn't update their site, and if they did, not attach a new petition to the story.

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I guarantee you that nobody had a chance in that theatre EVEN if someone had a concealed carry weapon.

When you listen to the surviving victims describe the scene inside the cinema during the shooting, nobody had a chance to do anything but duck and cover.

Are you doing to stand up while bullets are coming toward your face, to aim and fire a weapon?

Dirty Harry is a Clint Eastwood character.
Most people under fire generally take cover and hug the ground. Ask me how I know. Guns work perfectly well in the prone position. I can't help feeling that if the shooter knew someone was shooting back at him it would have disrupted his attack and saved lives.

4,112 posts, read 4,472,568 times
Ok, guys. Honest question: Is there anybody in here that actually has experience in Law Enforcement or has actual combat experience?

I would like to hear thier take on the situation and how regular ccw holders would most likely react to this situation.

Oh, and before anyone goes on to accuse me, I am not anti-gun at all. I just think that this was one of those situations that extra guns wouldn't have helped much. The panicking people wouldn't have helped

Last edited by btsilver; 07-20-2012 at 02:51 PM..

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
Quote:
That doesn't appear to be the case. Colorado state law regarding CCW weapons does not have a municipal "carve-out." Cities can pass whichever ordinances they want, but they cannot supersede state law in this field. In fact, Colorado even has reciprocity with Utah concealed carry permits, which are popular nationwide due to the nonresidency factor (Utah does not require residency to issue a permit).

Of the people I know in Colorado who practice concealed-carry and live in the Denver area, I've never heard of them regarding Denver or any of its suburbs as "gun-free zones."

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes I can picture the scene, maybe it's something better suited for a Hollywood movie.

It goes something like this:

Enter Psycho

Psycho wearing all black ballistic uniform, helmet and gas mask enters through the back door of a movie theatre into a full house, drops tear gas canisters. Walking in a slow deliberate manner facing the audience he sprays them with bullets when all of the sudden, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Sylvester Stallone strategically placed around the audience, all stand up at once, aim and fire their 450 Magnums at the same time on the psycho killer.

End scene.
Nah, the real-life version would've sucked and certainly not be worthy of an academy award, but it might've had a similar happy ending.

Got any more non sequitur movie references?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have not heard a rational explanation why anyone other than the authorities has a need. To me, arming a bunch of wanna be cowboys, is not rational.
'wanna-be cowboys' are the ones with six-shooter revolvers. haven't you ever seen a western before?

can you show us where in the bill of rights that 'need' is a factor? TIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies