Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
You're right...this has nothing to do with politics, gun control or education. This is simply a mentally ill subject with no morals and no code!
I think politics play a part. I think we have seen an uptick in violence in certain areas due to decreased funding for programs for the mentally ill. I also think that the lobbyists who successfully killed the institutions for the mentally ill and made it a HUGE no-no to commit people are responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
And what are parents teaching their kids?
Most parents don't have the time to teach their kids much: They both have jobs that require them to be away from their kids all day. I know people who leave the house at 7 am and come back home at 8 pm. Their kids are in school or with a baby sitter all day. When the parents come home, it's basically time for the kids to go to bed. What do you teach in the twenty minutes that you get to see your kids?

Alas, it must all be worth it - at least we all have a house that's bigger and nicer than we truly need, we have fancy cars that massage our butts while we drive, and every room has a giant flat screen TV. Since we need to pay for all these "necessities," we obviously need to work - and we need to work a lot.

Our kids are paying the price now, our society pays the price later.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
With Obama it is all about me me me...This exactly what he said when Zimmerman shot Martin...to para phrase..."If I had a son he would have looked like Martin" What a jerk....he personalizes things not for the sake of others but to direct attention too himself.

He must think that everyone is stupid....and that he looks so "human" and has a warm heart- This guy is cold.
Really?

One of the very first things I usually do upon reading news stories like this is put myself in the situation. "How would I feel?" or "How would I have dealt with this?"

I don't think it's odd at all for human beings to do this.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Do you think they actually believe what they post, or are they just starting arguments?
How could anyone say that Obama did this just to get a day off?
I think it's a mix of attention getting behavior and truly believing that Obama is an *******. What I don't understand is that most adults, even when they don't like someone, can acknowledge & appreciate that others are human beings to and respect them as such. Doesn't seem to be the case here for some, unfortunately.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
As a parent when you hear about some kid getting killed one of your first reactions is to cherish your kids

If someone doesn't understand that, they either are not parents, or are horrible parents.
Hell, even before I had kids I could appreciate the gravity of losing a child. It isn't that difficult to imagine the loss of a loved one, is it? (not directed at you savoir)

Old 07-21-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If he is sincere he would mention the daughters of the people who had just lost their daughter to the gunman- You don't start off the address with talking about YOUR daughters who are safe and sound living a life of luxury... There was no need to talk about himself at all...AND it sounded like a stock comment...This man is not sincere...If he was a man he would have thought only about those in distress and not about some fantasy about his daughters going to the movies...They would have a security team in tow with a man at every door...who is this Obama guy kidding?
Good thing he didn't then.

Here is the text of his address from yesterday:

WEEKLY ADDRESS: Remembering the Victims of the Aurora, Colorado Shooting | The White House

He doesn't mention his own children until the 5th paragraph, after he spoke about the victims.

Did you listen to the address or are you going off snippets on cable news?

Old 07-21-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
It's like flying. After a crash even people that fly often have it in the back of their minds. But sooner or later it wears off and things get back to normal.
Or even driving. I once saw a horrific car accident right after it happened. I saw the woman laying on the pavement, having been ejected from her car. I was scared of driving for weeks after that. I think when we are forced to see how fragile we are, how fast/indiscriminately life can be taken away it jolts us.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont see it being anything to do with the government or a political party just some nut job berszerker who for whatever reason felt the need to go out and kill a whole bunch of innocent people.
Very unfortunate.
Been reading thru a bunch of posts on the Colorado shooting and reallly don't know where to go with this one; it is so damn unnecessary. You are so right, this kid is a nut job berserker for sure. I think personally, alot of times these kids spend so much time on the internet playing these violent games that they get brainwashed or immersed in them. He obviously thought he was the Joker or inside a Batman Movie himself. My bigger concern is how he was able to purchase ammo via the internet. How is that possible..6,000 rounds?? Come on. Where did he get his money? Why didn't his friends, family, parents know he was having issues? How did he manage to slip thru the cracks and where will he end up after this? Why does Colorado have such issues with violence? How will those families EVER get over this whole mess and I'll bet money this berserk guy feels like a hero!! Hope they lock him up in maximum security with some REAL criminals who will work him over..he deserves it. Very sad stuff.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
As I'm looking through various news sources and watching various channels, a common theme has arisen amongst those sources that lean left. They want to blame 'something' and seem to not feel so strongly about blaming THE person responsible for this - the shooter. In this case, they want to blame gun control. With Gabby Gifford, they wanted to blame 'dangerous rhetoric'. Enough. The person who pulled the trigger killed these people, not some policy. He's to blame; he's the evil; he's the one that deserves your scorn.
I think some people, me included, want to examine why someone acts out in this way. I don't see what is wrong with trying to ascertain what drives people to kill.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It will be harder to prove mental illness versus premeditated murder once he buys the gas mask, the guns, the kevlar armor, the gas bomb, parks his car in the back, kicks the door in.....I don't think the mentally ill go to all that trouble...time will tell....

True, he was likely emotionally disturbed and likely could not seperate DOOM from WOW but they will have to test him to see if he is insane or just evil...
This is a common misconception. Being mentally ill does not preclude the ability to plan. A mentally ill person may feel threatened, paranoid and begin planning how to rectify a situation. In their own mind, they are perfectly sane and their plans/actions all seem like the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies