Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree with him. Anything that's not rated G is adult content? Its a bit...crazy.

Because I'm a picture-holic I know we took my son to see 27 dresses...man I never thought about how watching adults talk about weddings and dresses could harm his two year old mind.
I am not saying it is or isnt, but, what he claimed the other person was doing, he was doing himself. This is the only point I was making. If she was being pathetically presumptuous for thinking it was wrong for a parent to allow a child to see an R rated movie, he was being the same for thinking it was wrong for a parent to allow a child to see an X Rated movie.

They may both have differences of opinions on what is moral or not moral, but to say one persons morals are right and tell the other person their morals are wrong, and reprimand them for it, is being hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I AM protesting the actual presence of a baby or toddler in an ADULT movie. This is neither the time nor place for children.
Disney movies and other movies made for children are a totally different thing. I still don't think babies belong in movie theaters AT ALL.
I applaud parents who remove fussy children right away.
Honestly, I have never had a baby or child disrupt me at the movies. It has been 30 years since I have been in a theater. (I mentioned that the noise hurts my ears and that is why I stopped going.)
Really, I love children. I was a preschool teacher for over 20 years. There is nothing children do that surprises me.

Excuse me for thinking people actually go to movies or ballgames to enjoy them. I left my son home when I went to venues where he did not belong. I paid good money for my entertainment and taking care of my child was never a part of that entertainment.
Why does it bother me so much? It is so disruptive to everyone when parents are constantly coming and going.
So you don't go to movies and watch your ballgames on the television, but it still bothers you when parents get up and down?

My point is that they ARE enjoying themselves. You're judging their level of enjoyment by your standards and than making the claim they shouldn't be there because you don't think they're enjoying themselves enough to justify it. That's just odd. Again, would you say a person who frequently needs to use the restroom doesn't belong at a ballpark?

To a parent who is perhaps stressed and feeling overwhelmed, a day at the park may be far more enjoyable than it is to you...even if they have to get up and down.

Quote:
Sorry, posts must be blending together.

I'm glad you were able to take your son everywhere when he was little. I'm glad he was well behaved. However, these are YOUR memories and not his.
Now, at 6 he is making his own memories and should be included in child friendly activities.
It's still annoying when parents jump up and down, but at least the child is getting something out of the outing.

Babies and children do not belong in movie theaters where the movie contains adult content. Not only is the sound too loud for their ears, but their brains WILL absorb some of what they see. I would not take a 2 or 3 year old to an adult movie and let them stare at the screen. Those little minds are like sponges.
You seem to be saying that young children shouldn't be taken to events because they won't understand and won't remember...and they shouldn't be taken to events because they WILL remember and later be affected.

It would actually be interested to see if children's stress levels rises when exposed to sounds like screaming from a movie or show. I can actually support the idea that violent media and young children aren't a good mix and exposing children to it very young could possibly have influence (though again I'd like to look into any research that has been done on that.) I'm having more trouble with the idea that children don't belong at ANY cultural 'adult' event...or the idea that a ballgame is for adults.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
No, I mean ANY movie that is not rated "G". I am talking about babies and young children here, not school kids.
to repeat the poster you replied to:

" it's pathetically presumptuous for you to dare to tell someone else what their children ought to watch."

I was watching rated R movies with my parents since I was 3 years old. I turned out fine.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
As a father of two I would never bring a small child to an adult movie...its called bad parenting. Might as well bring them to the bar with you after the movie for some drinks. Not only is it inconsiderate to others at the movies but a small child should not be exposed to adult themes, whether it be violence, sex, violence. You introduce that to them at a young age and they will be the ones in 20 years with a gun in the theater.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
As a father of two I would never bring a small child to an adult movie...
Yes, any parent who tries to force their children to attend a Rated NC17, X or Rated XXX movie is a bad parent. It's also illegal.

Any movie under that designation of rating, is free for all.

As I stated, I've been watching Rated R movies since I was 3, based on what my parents felt. I turned out fine.

Last edited by Arus; 07-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: forgot about the NC17

Old 07-23-2012, 10:28 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
As a father of two I would never bring a small child to an adult movie...its called bad parenting. Might as well bring them to the bar with you after the movie for some drinks. Not only is it inconsiderate to others at the movies but a small child should not be exposed to adult themes, whether it be violence, sex, violence. You introduce that to them at a young age and they will be the ones in 20 years with a gun in the theater.
Oh please.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Yes, any parent who tries to force their children to attend a Rated NC17, X or Rated XXX movie is a bad parent. It's also illegal.

Any movie under that designation of rating, is free for all.

As I stated, I've been watching Rated R movies since I was 3, based on what my parents felt. I turned out fine.

Interestingly enough though, the difference between an R-rated movie and an X-rated is often the presence of sex and nudity. It does amuse me that we're far more horrified in most cases by the idea of a young child seeing sexual acts, but fine with them seeing people murdered in various interesting ways.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Interestingly enough though, the difference between an R-rated movie and an X-rated is often the presence of sex and nudity. It does amuse me that we're far more horrified in most cases by the idea of a young child seeing sexual acts, but fine with them seeing people murdered in various interesting ways.
Which is why parents bringing 1,2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 year olds to a PG13 movie is a sign of bad parenting.. absolutely.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The problem is often those parents, who bring children to public places where they didn't traditionally go, seem to have a tolerance for noise that far exceeds mine; I guess they are used to it. Their night out destroyed mine. We did get a pass to another showing from a movie theater once.
sure, it's like the neighbor whose dog is constantly barking, they don't hear it....

Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Seems to me that many NON PARENTS are experts on BAD PARENTING..
go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies