Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times

Advertisements

Somebody said CA has lots of big bugs, I don't know where. Biggest things I see are butterfly's, bumblebees, and june bugs. Lots of dragon flies. We usually get a lot of deer ticks, but not this season, don't know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
All the bugs in Arizona are huge. With no exageration, ther are wasps that get to be 2.5"-3" long. They are called tarantula wasps. Theres a black bug that comes out in late summer that's the size of a golf ball. there's a toad that comes out of the desert when the monsoon comes that if your dog licks it, it will go grazy and foam at the mouth.
When you ride a motorcycle, the bugs are so big it's like getting hit in the face with a tomato when you're cruising down the freeway. Sometimes you'll hit a swarm of bugs and your widshield looks like you ran into an egg delivery van.
Oh boy.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is not surprising that Nevada and Arizona have the highest foreclosure rates in the U.S. It seemed that many residents failed the stupid test when they decided to buy a cheap home in the desert.
They had the highest run up in prices first, along with California and Florida.

Quote:
At least with Nevada, they had Las Vegas. For the life of me, I can't understand why people would move to the Arizona Desert.
Hey if your career prospects and job skills are best suited for relying on the tourism industry then I'd agree, you should be in Nevada since they have Las Vegas. My career is better in Phoenix right near Intel, Orbital Sciences, Microchip, American Express, etc.

Quote:
I guess a lot of people are now agreeing with me and are just walking...no running away from their homes there.
I guess you aren't very good at reading census statistics, depending on measure Arizona is still ranked about 8th for population growth despite housing crisis.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Obviously there is more at play than just the desert, but the fact that Arizona and Nevada are number 1 and 2 in foreclosures is interesting. Why are there foreclosure rates the highest?
Because their home prices went up so fast, then fell so hard. People who either took money out and ended up upside down or realize the house they bought for 300k is now worth 150k tend to walk away or get foreclosed on.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
They had the highest run up in prices first, along with California and Florida.

Hey if your career prospects and job skills are best suited for relying on the tourism industry then I'd agree, you should be in Nevada since they have Las Vegas. My career is better in Phoenix right near Intel, Orbital Sciences, Microchip, American Express, etc.

I guess you aren't very good at reading census statistics, depending on measure Arizona is still ranked about 8th for population growth despite housing crisis.
I am very good at reading recent articles, which state that Arizona population growth has grown stagnant.

Arizona hurt by stagnant, declining population

Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I am very good at reading recent articles, which state that Arizona population growth has grown stagnant.
I'd counter that you aren't. From your article of April 2011:

Vest cautioned that his new forecast is just a "preliminary, exploratory kind of look at what if the population actually declined."

Try here: List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh they are fleeing from Arizona, leaving it #7 in growth rate on that list for period ending July 2011.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
The thing that is funny is you have probably never set foot in the state. If you did you would know that Arizona has more forest than Maine and some parts of the state hundreds of miles of creeks and hundreds of lakes.
Yup, that is one of the more common misconceptions about Arizona by people who have never been there, that the state is some sandy desert like the Sahara. Granted most just wonder and don't come off looking like the blowhard in this thread.

Southern Arizona is Sonoran desert, it can be quite lush for a desert environment

Much of Northern and parts of Easter Arizona are covered in beautiful pine forests

Because of the dynamic altitude changes there is much rivers/streams/lakes, tubing is very popular in Phx

Old 07-26-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'd counter that you aren't. From your article of April 2011:

Vest cautioned that his new forecast is just a "preliminary, exploratory kind of look at what if the population actually declined."

Try here: List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh they are fleeing from Arizona, leaving it #7 in growth rate on that list for period ending July 2011.
My goodness, reading comprehension does not seem to be your forte. "If Arizona has lost people in recent years, as some evidence indicates"

Read more: Arizona hurt by stagnant, declining population

The forecast was for future losses and not prior losses or conditions of today. That is why they call it a forecast.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
My goodness, reading comprehension does not seem to be your forte. "If Arizona has lost people in recent years, as some evidence indicates"

Read more: Arizona hurt by stagnant, declining population

The forecast was for future losses and not prior losses or conditions of today. That is why they call it a forecast.
Arizona has lost population over the last few years due to various reasons not the least of which is the down turn in the economy nation wide.

We have seen 1000's of illegals leave - back across the border and to other states.

But as the economy is turning around, so will the population growth turn around.

Arizona has gone through these types of cycles before - I have personally lived thru them. Each time we get stronger.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Arizona has lost population over the last few years due to various reasons not the least of which is the down turn in the economy nation wide.

We have seen 1000's of illegals leave - back across the border and to other states.

But as the economy is turning around, so will the population growth turn around.

Arizona has gone through these types of cycles before - I have personally lived thru them. Each time we get stronger.
It will be interesting to see. I don't see the loss of illegals hurting the economy since it is primarily a service based economy. It has hurt states such as Georgia and Alabama who were using them for agriculture.

Thanks for being intellectually honest about the decline in population. I have no idea as to whether it will rebound or not. That is me being intellectually honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies