Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The question really should be: Why does any woman consent to have sex with a man who has no intention of marrying them? Aside from the obvious rapes, NO is a word that, I believe, *all* women have in their vocabulary.

20yrsinBranson
The obvious reason for this behavior in most industrialized countries on the planet is that having sex with somebody no longer constitutes that they parties involved intend to get married.

That is strictly a personal decision who a person decides to have sex with and why.

A woman consents to have sex because she wants to have sex.

It's not that complicated.

The issue isn't about women making the decision to have sex. The issues is why don't more women use contraceptives if they really don't want to have an unplanned pregnancy.

There are plenty of women having sex without having any intention of getting married to their partners who have figure out how to use contraceptives to avoid unplanned pregnancies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM

160 posts, read 264,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's not a political issue; it's a personal and cultural issue.

What would be the purpose of politicizing who somebody has sex with and whether either partner decided to use birth control?

What legislation could possibly be passed to address the issue? NONE!

That's why it's not a political issue.

It's not that complicated, in most cases a woman decides who she wants to have sex with.

In most cases a woman has a choice in terms if decides to use contraceptives and what contraceptive to use. She also has the choice in deciding whether to have sex with a man that isn't using a contraceptive.

These are all personal decisions that are in some part influenced by culture.

The real issue here is how do you address this issue on a cultural basis?

As long as there are women that are willing to have sex without using contraceptives, there is going to be the chance for pregnancy.

I can't imagine why you deem this to be a political issue.

There are many times where people criticize Black Americans for not exercising personal responsibility. This is one area that can be address by people simply making more responsible choices in their lives.
It's political because far too many black girls are reared in predatory environments. They will not be able to make the right decisions concerning sex and partnerships, because their communities and families are morally bankrupt and have little to offer. For this reason, positive/intelligent people have to mobilize around this issue, and present an alternate "pro-marriage/family" voice. "Baby-mamas & Baby-daddies" have become far too pervasive.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Here is my problem with this whole concept, is that it is also teaching that a person's skin color makes a difference in life. I would much rather see Americans stand up and proclaim to other Americans that single parenthood is not something to be glorified.
Again it's a personal choice. Who are you to tell somebody how they should conduct their personal affairs. ?

The only way a campaign works in terms of changing the prevalence of single mothers is to somehow demonstrate it's not the most desirable circumstance to raise a child.

Criticizing people for their personal choices' isn't going to work.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
we never had a history in white corporate america.
The is simply not true and shows a profound lack of knowledge of how Black Americans have progressed in the last 30 years. There are Black American CEOs of Fortune 500 companies and simply too many Black Americans at the executive level to even count.

If you don't think this is true it probably speaks to your limited knowledge on the subject.

It also points to the fact that you see limited possibilities for yourself.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
It's political because far too many black girls are reared in predatory environments. They will not be able to make the right decisions concerning sex and partnerships, because their communities and families are morally bankrupt and have little to offer. For this reason, positive/intelligent people have to mobilize around this issue, and present an alternate "pro-marriage/family" voice. "Baby-mamas & Baby-daddies" have become far too pervasive.
Again that's not a political issue.

It's a cultural.

There isn't a damn thing the political process can do to change HOW PEOPLE BEHAVE.

And you moralizing the issue is bound to fail.

Now I agree with the fact there needs to changes in terms of people making better decisions in terms of using contraceptives to prevent unplanned pregnancy.

But telling people who to live their lives isn't going to work.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
She is simply following in the foot-steps of a long list of hypocritical "entertainers." The same can be said about the rappers, who espouse violence, drugs and crime.

A prime example is 50 cent. He's made millions off of glorifying criminality, yet he lives in the suburbs (far removed from inner city ghettos), and spends much of his time vacationing throughout Europe. Even more startling, apparently, he abhors drugs. It's too bad most youth do not understand that many of these so-called 'artists' promote one thing, but live by a completely different set of rules.
He even removed all of his tattoos. Which were probably just there to gain cred as a thug. Now he doesn't want a thug image which is nice. Too bad so many young people are attracted to and reward bad guys (or have the image of being bad). When young women copy what they see in popular culture and pick a thug over a decent man it certianly contributes to the single motherhood epidemic.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:19 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The question really should be: Why does any woman consent to have sex with a man who has no intention of marrying them? Aside from the obvious rapes, NO is a word that, I believe, *all* women have in their vocabulary.

20yrsinBranson
The problem is female hypergamy which is increasing. Basically women all agree on a relatively small % of men they consider attractive (and they never consider moral character when judging a man). So these men that are in high demand for female attention expect sex ASAP. If a woman tells these playas no they have hundreds of other options that will say yes.

I think this is an unintended consequence. Women didn't think about this when they became more picky. I also believe hypergamy has led to more single mothers. A lot of "baby daddies" have gotten multiple women pregnant. I saw a young murderer on "The First 48" who had kids with 8 different mothers.

Last edited by Jay F; 07-22-2012 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is the million dollar question. Also, I don't understand why so many women settle for men who have nothing to offer. I'm so thankful that my family raised me well. I simply wish the same for others...
The fact "I don't understand why so many women settle for men who have nothing to offer" in an itself makes you ill-equipped to really offer effective solution to resolve the issue.

If you don't understand the dynamics of the problem, how you can solve it?

This issue will be dealt with at the grass-roots level by people who live and know the full scope and dimension of the problem. Not be a middle class suburbanite that wants to pontificate to people and tell them how to solve their problems.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
I simply do not understand why there hasn't been a political platform set up to address the pervasive issue of single motherhood amongst black women. Black women should not wait for the government to save them. Surely, if that were going to happen, it would have already taken place. More, simply need to organize around this platform and reach out to the masses of young black women who are being socially conditioned to accept the notion that raising children alone, without a father's involvement is fine.

When in fact:

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health - NBCNews.com

I just do not forsee any changes occuring, until black women collectively organize, to address this issue. I can't however understand why so many of us continue to sing the praises of black single motherhood, when it's a well known fact that black children (as an aggregate group) are not thriving under these circumstances.
Uh; I think the Black ladies are starting to do what you are talking about. Like bettering themselves so they DON'T "need" a fool of a dude to be happy. What I'm saying those ladies are looking at guys who'll treat them right and if they ain't Black, oh well. Word is that good Black men don't stay single long so that leaves the hood rats.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Rough but you're right and I'm not that "conservative".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies