Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The old adage says, "Pay yourself first". If you don't like what the employer is offering, nothing is stopping you from having an IRA.

Minimum wage / poverty level income / student loan payments stop a lot of people from having an IRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Often it has nothing to do with discipline.

Even then it would take far more than just discipline.

Too bad society doesn't feel the same as you claim to.

I haven't said anything about how much I work. I'm irrelevant.

Again, I'm irrelevant. Regardless, spending money to study at night to find a better job is no longer guaranteed to be a good investment. I wouldn't be surprised if some research looking back at the 2010s reveals that a college education was a bad financial investment.

Yet again, I'm irrelevant. But expecting other people to up and leave where they have roots, where they may have people they can lean on for at least moral support in tough times, is offensive. Your idea would seem to create a permanent underclass of Americans, migrants, scraping by from place to place to try to find a little bit of work, a few scraps falling from the table of their "betters". It's offensive to suggest that society should regress back to how it was after the Great Depression.

For the last time, I'm irrelevant. I've never said anything about my own situation. I'm advocating for others, not for myself. Geez, get a grip!

Wake up. Things have changed.
"Even then it would take far more than just discipline.'

This just 1 reason some will always be losers and have NOTHING but excuses.

If you don't have 1 already, open a bank account and have the bank do AUTOMATIC withdraws from the checking to a savings account.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea, this is what conservatives have been saying but of course to liberals since Obama didn't say it then it must not be true.
Horse sh*t.

Money printing is done primarily by private banks, in conjunction with the fed.

Conservatives want to further deregulate private banks and allow them to LEND EVEN MORE of the Fed's money, causing EVEN MORE MONEY PRINTING.

Conservatives are obsessed with stamping out public deficits, even though they are only a minority portion of outstanding dollar-denominated debt, and currently exert little influence on price inflation.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? WTF? I applied for the jobs, I was hired...there was never any discussion of benefits either wiith management or with other employees. Was there some pension/retirement plan we didn't know about?
ok YOU applied for a job,,,didnt you REASAERCH what the job entailed/ or what the PAY and bennies were??

YOU were hired, I am SURE they talked about your compensation (pay and bennies)

to say otherwise... I question your integrity

Old 04-26-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Minimum wage / poverty level income / student loan payments stop a lot of people from having an IRA.
no it doesnt

Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
In 2010 the SSA started paying OUT MORE then they take in. The fed is redeeming the special, they are NOT U.S. Saving Bonds. special issues of the Treasury.

"Every penny of the $2.7 trillion in surplus revenue, generated by the 1983 payroll tax hike, was spent on wars and other government programs, as it came in. The government took the money and replaced it with non-marketable government IOUs. These IOUs, called “special issues of the Treasury,” are held only by the trust funds, and they have no marketable value. They could not be sold to anyone, even for a penny on the dollar. "

Social Security Money Is Not Like T-bills | Dissident Voice

"Being forced to save is the key". Which is exactly what I said.
I think we are in agreement.
Reagan /Greenspan jacked up Payroll Taxes to ensure that there would be money available for future payouts. This was promptly spent. Bush 1, Clinton and Bush 2 did the same. The number of Seniors grew by 15% between 2000-2010. Beginning in 2011, 10,000 people a day turn 65. This will persist for the next 20 years. The can stopped with Obama.

Medicare was never self sustaining. It began with a 25% subsidy from general revenue ( deficit spending). It now requires a 40+% subsidy. The subsidy is projected to be about 50% by the end of this decade.

The temporary reduction in Payroll Taxes was stupid. When it expired, so many viewed it as a new tax and blamed Obama. Something about the term " temporary" seems to have eluded a heck of a lot of people.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hnsg and his cohort expect everyone to arrange their life around making ever more money. He cannot understand why many of us chose not to live that way. Not all of us worship Mammon.

Where does a disciplined risk adverse person save his money at a higher rate than inflation? Just putting your money in an insured savings account does not yield any effective compound interest gains due to the devaluation due to inflation. What about the people that invested their 401 savings into the stock market as they were supposed to and lost much of the gain in the inevitable collapse? How are they compensated for being good little savers?

The lack of individual savings in this country is the result of economic policy not lack of disciplined savers.
"What about the people that invested their 401 savings into the stock market"

I have stated my own experience before but, will do so again.

When I retired in 2007 I saw a 1/3 drop in value in just a few months.

Since then my IRA has regained ALL of its value before counting my withdrawls. I withdraw what I need every month and the value is STILL almost to where I started before the downfall.

Over time the vast majority of people will come out ahead.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

If you don't have 1 already, open a bank account and have the bank do AUTOMATIC withdraws from the checking to a savings account.

I've done that, it works short-term, then those financial speed bumps of life (car repair, medical bill, etc) wipe it out.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

exactly...you can have an allotment going anywhere DIRECTLY from your pay check (just like somepople HAVE TO with child support)

you feel you can save $20, 30, 40, 50 (how much you can do) a week...set up an allotment directly from your check to a seperate account...then it is done for you and you barely miss it

Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no it doesnt

Oh really? Got a source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies