Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you want people living on the streets with nothing?
Social Security is a safety net.
What do you expect people to do, kill themselves?
SS is a supplement. It is not a pension in and of itself; it's there to supplement your own retirement savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. This is the problem with strict capitalism or libertarianism.
A civilization should exist for the benefit of its people and not the other way around.
As well as some people do in life through their own merit and efforts, there is always an element of luck involved.

A person may have educated parents who encourage him, or go to schools with teachers who care or live near a college so all they have to pay for is tuition and not boarding or they may have a boss who thinks in similar patterns and so rewards them. Most good jobs are gotten through contacts and not 'normal' means.

Nobody gets ahead solely under their own power.
I agree.
Another important issue that people don't look at is the abilities people have to get along in the world.
The average IQ in the US is under 100.

Average IQ in US and 80 other nations

Not everyone has equal abilities to learn, earn and understand life.
Everyone is not equally abled.

There really are people that are as dumb as a box of rocks.

No, it is society's problem.
Many people did live within their means and are unable to make it in retirement.

Do you think everyone makes $100k/year or something?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
And if they default on SS like cities are doing with pensions?
Well, if the country wasn't so busy supporting every other country under the sun, and paying people not to work, and all the ridiculous things they are spending money on, and return back to the constitution, require a balanced budget amendment, and institute the fair tax, so even criminals and people getting paid under the table pay their fair share of taxes, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So the proper behavior is to fear the government and Trust in ENRON or Mortgage Backed Secutities?
The proper behavior is to trust in yourself and not others, least of all the Fed.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Why can't you sell it? It may not be peak value, but I assume it has some value.
Perhaps because renting would be more expensive?
That happens to many people as they age.
They become stuck in their houses or choose to live there because the alternative is more expensive.
It's paid for except for taxes.

No need for the condescending eyeroll.
Try thinking it through.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
SS is a supplement. It is not a pension in and of itself; it's there to supplement your own retirement savings.
Correct in intent, but the reality is that many have nothing other than Social Security income. Nothing.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Why can't you sell it? It may not be peak value, but I assume it has some value.
I live in a rural area that hasn't had a non-foreclosure sale in over 3 years. As I said before, my area has been hit very very hard by the real estate market. It not only dosen't have a "peak" value it has no value and since I do have it payed off, I at least have a roof over my head. I was in the real estate industry as a title examiner when the collapse came and I have a lawyer friend who does foreclosure work so I have a pretty solid knowledge of land values and sales in my area right now. On the local news our county and several others have been called the "dead zone" for real estate and won't recover for another 8-10 years. At one time it was valued at over $250,000. now I'd be lucky to get $20,000 for it if that. So I will continue to live here and try to survive until the market comes back, I at least have shelter. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is buying, unless it's a foreclosure deal for pennies on the dollar, lots in SD's once sold for $200,000 sell for $5-8,000 on the courthouse steps (foreclosure sale). Those who own property are stuck, unless they just walk away and I don't have the $ to walk away or move...so I'll just stay here as much as I hate it, having a roof over my head and a crappy job is better than homelessness and no job.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Yep, I can't begin to tell you the expensive 2000 tvs I see in people's homes, eventually kids will stay at home longer and some will never leave moms basement.
Exactly. They need their iPhones with the unlimited text messaging, the free internet the parents provide them, the expensive cars -- of course they can't move out. They might have to give something up in order to do that.

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Perhaps because renting would be more expensive?
That happens to many people as they age.
They become stuck in their houses or choose to live there because the alternative is more expensive.
It's paid for except for taxes.

No need for the condescending eyeroll.
Try thinking it through.
Thanks, yup that's about it.

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
100% correct. It was never meant to be the main stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies