U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2007, 04:49 PM
 
11,128 posts, read 12,376,744 times
Reputation: 3668

Advertisements

It seems of late there have been quite a few over flights by Russian bombers and surveillance aircraft. Places like Alaska, Northern Europe, The Marshall Islands, as well as a growing number of ships in the arctic.

Also today, Vladimir Putin announced he would seek the office of Prime Minister since he is no longer eligible to remain President. He stated he wished to remain active and prominent in Russian politics and to help shape Russia’s future.

That being said, I have to wonder if this somehow ties into our growing pressure to confront Iran militarily. The ties between Russia, China and Iran have grown over the past five years and grown greatly in the past 18 months.

Are we taking our eye off the global ball when we remain so focused on Iran and will this come back to bite us? Russia and particularly Putin is a very shrewd character that is the former head of the KGB as well as a strategist. He is no idiot and his quiet nature belies a great deal of his ambitions.

I can only hope that the next 14 months fly bye, for everyones sake.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 10-01-2007 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: context
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM
 
Location: South Central PA
1,562 posts, read 3,832,534 times
Reputation: 356
You can't claim yourself to be a winner in a war, not until the other side capitulates. Fact is that just like WWI and WWII, the cold war will just have a pause between, and then it will start again, with only minor changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Status: "Bountiful pine needle harvest" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Near Manito
19,279 posts, read 20,160,099 times
Reputation: 13369
Da -- Russian slaves have new Tsar.
Go to war is near.
Don't have house, or food, or car
Must die for Vladimir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
Reputation: 3826
I believe I brought up Russia and perhaps Putin in one of our dialogues (all pleasurable) and yes, they are revving up for something, and the signs were not so apparent. If you read all the left-wing stuff I do, you might have seen it coming when the PM was (a) accused of murdering an ex-KGB officer in Britain, and (b) having a reputable journalist murdered on her doorstep. The Nation, as far to the left as you can get (no funds from foundations, just subscriptions) has been reporting irregularly on Russia especially when the journalist was killed. She was apparently very respected, perhaps revered for her stance, and the editor of The Nation considered the Russian journalist a personal friend....Long story short, it ain't good!

These two incidence alone carried a "red flag" for me of a growing intolerance of discourse in the new Russia, not so unlike the old USSR. Limited discourse, anywhere, is always a bad sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It seems of late there have been quite a few over flights by Russian bombers and surveillance aircraft. Places like Alaska, Northern Europe, The Marshall Islands, as well as a growing number of ships in the arctic.

Also today, Vladimir Putin announced he would seek the office of Prime Minister since he is no longer eligible to remain President. He stated he wished to remain active and prominent in Russian politics and to help shape Russia’s future.

That being said, I have to wonder if this somehow ties into our growing pressure to confront Iran militarily. The ties between Russia, China and Iran have grown over the past five years and grown greatly in the past 18 months.

Are we taking our eye off the global ball when we remain so focused on Iran and will this come back to bite us? Russia and particularly Putin is a very shrewd character that is the former head of the KGB as well as a strategist. He is no idiot and his quiet nature belies a great deal of his ambitions.

I can only hope that the next 14 months fly bye, for everyones sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 05:14 PM
 
7,367 posts, read 6,528,719 times
Reputation: 1248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It seems of late there have been quite a few over flights by Russian bombers and surveillance aircraft. Places like Alaska, Northern Europe, The Marshall Islands, as well as a growing number of ships in the arctic.

Also today, Vladimir Putin announced he would seek the office of Prime Minister since he is no longer eligible to remain President. He stated he wished to remain active and prominent in Russian politics and to help shape Russia’s future.

That being said, I have to wonder if this somehow ties into our growing pressure to confront Iran militarily. The ties between Russia, China and Iran have grown over the past five years and grown greatly in the past 18 months.

Are we taking our eye off the global ball when we remain so focused on Iran and will this come back to bite us? Russia and particularly Putin is a very shrewd character that is the former head of the KGB as well as a strategist. He is no idiot and his quiet nature belies a great deal of his ambitions.

I can only hope that the next 14 months fly bye, for everyones sake.
What are you expecting to happen after 14 months that will address your concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 05:16 PM
 
8,581 posts, read 8,926,553 times
Reputation: 2382
Funny I brought up the fact that we were going to have to deal with Putin, several months back and was called a war monger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
Reputation: 3826
You know it wasn't me, Silas777, I am on your side whenever we agree and I agree we will have to deal with many from the Cold and Warm War!

It is for that very reason I am agin going after Iran or any other country.

We can not take out the whole world, and if we think we can, we will go down with it...and going down fighting in a nuclear war ain't perty.


Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Funny I brought up the fact that we were going to have to deal with Putin, several months back and was called a war monger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 05:30 PM
 
8,581 posts, read 8,926,553 times
Reputation: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
You know it wasn't me, Silas777, I am on your side whenever we agree and I agree we will have to deal with many from the Cold and Warm War!

It is for that very reason I am agin going after Iran or any other country.

We can not take out the whole world, and if we think we can, we will go down with it...and going down fighting in a nuclear war ain't perty.
This is why I believe that the whole anti war, (anti-military) movement, the pacification of America is insanity,no matter what one thinks about Iraq, there will be more conflicts and trouble and if we dont maintain our military might and super power status, we will be very sorry, wether it be Iran, Russia,Putin has been struttin his stuff and flexing his muscles every chance he gets.! Peace through Strength!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
Reputation: 3826
Power is what power does.

Having the might doesn't imply using the might, but maintaining the appearance of military supremacy.

A war with another Middle East country, and Iran in particular, would not provide us with the leverage you might expect. We have lost too many friends, and enemies of our friends, to play a lone hand and expect to come out the winner. Those days are over.

I am not against fighting when it is appropriate, and I'll be the first to take up arms (although they'll disqualify me based on age) if need be, but this is not that kind of situation.

Iran is not alone in its attempt to both discredit and set itself apart from the US and its power-base. To some degree the more rhetoric about a military strike against Iran, the more we lose face.

If I remember correctly the President of Iran met with some of our other friends in South America very recently.

Together, if clever and with the assistance of just one other major world player, the little guys can get us...and get us good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This is why I believe that the whole anti war, (anti-military) movement, the pacification of America is insanity,no matter what one thinks about Iraq, there will be more conflicts and trouble and if we dont maintain our military might and super power status, we will be very sorry, wether it be Iran, Russia,Putin has been struttin his stuff and flexing his muscles every chance he gets.! Peace through Strength!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 05:39 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 4,158,994 times
Reputation: 570
It was inevitable that this would occur. The US used Afghanistan as a pawn in the war against Russia and provided aid and military training to the islamic rebels (most likely included Bin Laden), because of Americas quest to be/remain #1. There was an fear of Russia during that time.

The result of the war with Afghanistan was that Russia was defeated, their country fell, hence the "fall of the soviet union". Why wouldn't that country seek out revenge since it was because of the aid provided by the super-power USA that they had to pull out. I know I would seek revenge.
They've been cool and cavalier, almost like a sly fox just waiting in the wings. As someone else pointed out, Putin isn't dumb (too bad we can't say the same for "duh bush".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top