Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because the US is not a barbaric country. And, when did the CO shooter smirk? I don't think he's even aware of his surroundings at the moment.
His studies were in neuroscience. I am betting he believes feigning insanity is his best option.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
He was sentenced swiftly and executed swiftly (the shootings happened in 2002, he was executed in 2009, that's Virginia justice for ya). If it has to be done, that's how it should be done.
Leon Czolgosz shot President McKinley on September 6, 1901 and was executed on October 29, 1901.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 AM

256 posts, read 479,560 times
This domestic terrorist should be sent to Gitmo and tortured

Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I know how the op feels which is why I am glad that justice is administered by the state and not individuals.

The desire to inflict punishment equal to our anger is perfectly in line with the baser aspects of human nature; few other species have the capacity for bloodlust approaching that of humans. So feeding sadism, isn't good for any of us which is why we entrust the administration of punishment, our collective retribution, to institutions which can objectify that which we cannot.
Yes, but the problem is the government is so ineffective at what it does most of the time. In the case of capital punishment, look how long it takes for the actual punishment to take place ... often 15 or 20 years AFTER the crime was committed! By that time, the criminal has already spent enough time on death row sponging off our tax money with meals, health care, TV, internet access, and a better life than what many impoverished people have.

That's why I favor a certain amount of vigilante justice in the most serious cases such as the mass murder in Colorado. There is absolutely no reason why the victims (specifically the victims' families) should have to wait around for justice to be served. I say let the punishment fit the crime, and the punishment should be administered shortly after the fact ... not decades later! When a murder is committed, the victim's families should be allowed the opportunity to take down the convicted killer. It's harsh, it's vengeful, and it's mean ... but hey, so what??? What the killer did was also harsh, vengeful, and mean. An eye for an eye & a tooth for a tooth! We coddle criminals too much, and it's about time we send a message that justice needs to be quick, swift, and harsh.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I don't think it is hate on my part, but anger and frustration. And also a belief the punishment should fit the crime and for crimes this severe, what is the punishment?

One of the points of punishment is to deter others from doing the same. When I woke up this morning and turned on my computer, his ugly face and orange hair was the first thing I saw. Denying people like this the media and attention they seek might reduce copycats.
Wishing someone dead pretty much equals hating them. But I agree, I don't think they should show his face. Bad move.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
You're right, we should be more forgiving. I'd like to see a poll of those that are wheelchair bound and those that are dead, and their loved ones, how many are willing to be forgiving.

I'd like to see everyone here that has lost a loved one in a tragic instance like this, murdered, raped, and see what its like first hand and then preach forgiveness.

I'll never understand liberals when it comes down to forgiveness and lack of punishment. When you plan to kill as many people as possible and go on a shooting rampage, you VOLUNTARILY waive all human rights you had. The shooter made the choice, and there should be negative consequences.
I'm just a naturally forgiving person I guess. If someone I loved was hurt, I'd be extremely sad and distraught, but I wouldn't want revenge. I've never been hurt to that degree but I've been hurt to lesser degrees and I know how I would feel.

One of the red flags that a society is becoming fascist is when it's obsessed with crime and punishment.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:46 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
A lot of people don't see the beauty of the justice system as it is today. No, torture is not legal... But considering the common occurrences of prison rape, beatings, stabbings, and all sorts of other traumatizing incidents, one could argue there is a very "backdoor" system of torture that is allowed to exist.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:04 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
I think when sentenced to the death penalty a trap door should open under their feet and they should fall into a big meat grinder. One less POS using our tax dollars and breathing our air. There is no use for them. Yes it would be nice to see them suffer but wouldnt it be even better to think that person is no longer on the face of the earth and can do no more harm.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
In the past, capital punishment used to be a bit more gruesome and take longer. The point was not just, this person has lost the right to live in society. They also thought the person should suffer, because of the suffering they caused others. Crucifixion was certainly a deterent to other potential criminals. It seems only the worst of murderers actually get the death penalty anymore. Maybe a more severe form of punishment should be instituted, not something so clean and medical and pain free.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
The death penalty is wrong because it is a statement from society that revenge is better than forgiveness. I couldn't care much about the people on death row since they're messed up in the head and pretty much dead on the inside anyways, but I feel like injustice towards one is injustice towards all. By having a death penalty we make everyone a little bit less human.

I am aware my view is the unpopular one.
Well said. It also sounds like the OP wants to torture crazy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies