Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,459,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I've been against the death penalty in the past because it historically was not applied fairly. But I always thought there were crimes that deserved the ultimate penalty. But for some crimes is the death penalty enough? Let's use the recent Aurora shooting as an example. Forgetting "innocent until proven guilty" for the moment, if we had a quick trial and took him out the next day and hung him, it seems he is getting off too easy. There might be punishment in the afterlife or he could just be dead like everyone else.

Assuming he gets the death penalty and assuming it takes, say five years to the execution, it seems the time in a cell facing the consequences and knowing his fate is worst than the quick execution. But the purpose of the death penalty is both punishment and to deter others from committing the same crimes. Short of torture everyday for five years is there any other punishment that would punish and deter?

The media tends to make these types of criminals in to media figures, I've already seen his name, orange hair and ugly smirk more than I ever want to. For this type of crime there should be no media that could make him into some cult figure. His name should be legally changed to something like "the coward that disgraced his family" and his real name and photo should never be shown. Seems he wants to be known as the "Joker", so that term should never be used in discussing him or the crime. The fame and attention that some people seek should be not allowed.

And how can we make his time awaiting execution as miserable as possible? He should be in a cell with nothing but a toilet and a hard bed. No TV, no books, no paper and pen and no contact with anyone. He has been described as "book smart" and to be denied all intellectual stimulation and left only with his thoughts might be true punishment. He has also been described as a loner, so maybe he would like solitary confinement. Maybe surrounded 24/7 by low life criminals would be more punishment? Everyday when he wakes up he should be reminded off what death by lethal injection does to the body.
Let him think about nothing but his consequences for years.

Your thoughts?
My thought is that it is barbaric and uncivilized to hold the position that you do. My thought is that a civilized government is not in the punishment business. The point of making things against the law to reduce their occurance, not to torture people who break those laws.

I am against the death penalty at all times in all cases. I think it is especially ill considered since the possibility exists of wrongful conviction. But even in cases where someone is guilty beyond any doubt whatsoever, I am against executing that person. Everyone has the possibility of redemption. It is not for a civilized society to take the possibily away. That's not justice. That's just revenge.

I am for life imprisonment and even for hard labor. But not for death.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,807,545 times
I wrote an essay once for college (ok so it was the college with the bad reputation but I felt it was a good experience). I have no stance. it's a catch 22

an eye for a eye is ok in some cases (if a person is malicious towards me or whoever I felt I should defend, I can be a b. even though I don't really care what others think of me, I do not tolerate rudeness. killing with kindness does not work. it's how you get to be a sponge. plus a little drama is good for the soul. I promote peace but at the same time I do not like the idea of a utopia) HOWEVER it is never ok in cases like murder/rape. you are no better than them because it's just too extreme.

also like poster above me said, considering if they're guilty, I believe in second chances. whether it was done out of insanity or not, the person might have learned from it being put in jail. of course it is hard enough to imagine why people would commit suicide let alone murder but we are all wired different so like others here have said we need the people alive to analyze and prevent this behavior. regardless of what the prisoners have, tv, internet what have you, it is still a punishment. you get those things but they become meaningless. you don't get to experience life. I'm saying this as a homebody who uses the net a lot, as the only reason I am inside all the time is a) trying to get some cash since I can't get a real job b) town is boring. even then I go out to take my boy to go potty. you can't just be enclosed all your life you'd get cabin fever. that alone should be enough. then again there are people that exist that don't like any form of music and that baffles me so I guess anything's possible but it has to be unlikely that they can enjoy a lifetime of being in an enclosed space.

on the other hand, they can escape jail. if we kill them they will be removed from society so they can't do it again but where would it end? it's a never ending cycle, you're basically a butcher. tons of people are born everyday and as we all know there's a bad apple in every pile. there are so many (straight) men and women and so often they are terrible people. plus they could have friends who could avenge their death, but of course they could avenge their jail time...I just feel like it's more likely that they would be avenged for death.