U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM

1,851 posts, read 534,041 times

Advertisements

To be clear, I would be mad if either party did this, but this happens to be the GOP....

Nevada has had that option on their ballot since 1978 (not a presidential election year). Now the GOP wants it removed because they are afraid it will cost Romney votes.

I wish we had that option on our ballots in So Dak. And, if we did, I would be mad if outsiders told us we had to remove it. There may be other issues on the ballot that I want to vote on, and maybe, if I'm unhappy with both candidates, choose the None of the Above option as a protest.

No matter what the reason, I think the people of Nevada should be able to decide for themselves if they want that option on their ballot......

Republicans suing to remove none of the above from the ballot | IGN Boards

'None' is not a wasted vote - Sunday, June 24, 2012 | 2:03 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

(If a thread has already been done on this I apologize. I could not find one.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM

33,629 posts, read 28,890,140 times
I wondered if any State had this option besides making a write-in line.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM

640 posts, read 301,000 times
Looking at independent voters Romney stands much more to lose than the President. Frankly, many independent voters are more likely to be put off by Romney's religious and social doctrine than would be put off by President Obama's incompetence.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM

6,484 posts, read 2,693,944 times
Oh no, this independent is very put off by Obama's incompetence. I will vote for anyone but him - anyone. Last thing I want is for him to think he has the voters' mandate. I had such hope for him and he could not have dissappointed me more. Crap, I wish Hilliary was running again.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,815,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
To be clear, I would be mad if either party did this, but this happens to be the GOP....

Nevada has had that option on their ballot since 1978 (not a presidential election year). Now the GOP wants it removed because they are afraid it will cost Romney votes.

I wish we had that option on our ballots in So Dak. And, if we did, I would be mad if outsiders told us we had to remove it. There may be other issues on the ballot that I want to vote on, and maybe, if I'm unhappy with both candidates, choose the None of the Above option as a protest.

No matter what the reason, I think the people of Nevada should be able to decide for themselves if they want that option on their ballot......

Republicans suing to remove none of the above from the ballot | IGN Boards

'None' is not a wasted vote - Sunday, June 24, 2012 | 2:03 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

(If a thread has already been done on this I apologize. I could not find one.)

Why? Because we can't have The People registering their disgust with the political process, can we? Why...just think where THAT might lead!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 AM

9,001 posts, read 3,804,686 times
If None Of The Above was on every ballot everywhere, it would be a good indicator of just how many voters are willing to show up to the polls to register their discontent. I think it's a very good idea, and should be used in all 50 states and the territories.
This would possibly be the best way to shake up both parties, and could be a foundation for a 3rd party to be built on.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM

23,052 posts, read 6,279,895 times
First off, I will note that I appreciate the OP making an effort to make sure there wasn't already 10 threads on this.

That said, I wish all states had this option but the reasoning is flawed. If someone does not like either candidate they aren't going to vote for one or the other if the choice for none of the above is taken away.

I do not know what the options will be this year on our ballot but if it's just the two, I still will not vote for either.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM

9,001 posts, read 3,804,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
First off, I will note that I appreciate the OP making an effort to make sure there wasn't already 10 threads on this.

That said, I wish all states had this option but the reasoning is flawed. If someone does not like either candidate they aren't going to vote for one or the other if the choice for none of the above is taken away.

I do not know what the options will be this year on our ballot but if it's just the two, I still will not vote for either.
I'm sure a lot of voters will do the same. It's hard to count a void; not voting for either candidate could be seen as a legitimate voting error as much as a deliberate choice. If None Of The Above was a box by itself on the ballots, it would be both much easier to count and would be seen as an intentional and deliberate action on the voter's part.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 AM

1,851 posts, read 534,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Thanks! I did try to find one...

Obviously Nevada chose, for whatever reason, to add this to their ballot. Whether the reasoning is flawed or not, I don't see how removing it will necessarily help Romney. At least by marking the 'none of the above' option it doesn't look like they 'forgot' to vote for one of the candidates....

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM

4,734 posts, read 2,191,465 times
All we need to do is make Mr None-of-the-Above a person so he can take the oath of Office. All hail the Peoples Choice!
A man who can't be bribed, and can satisfy all of the people all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies