Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
through a friend or relative. some senior homes provide transportation.some will take the bus, some will walk, otherwise, they don't go.
Right - so the transportation argument is moot - the same methods could be used to travel to the DMV or county registrar's office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
To renew my FL driver license, I had to produce my birth certificate, my SS card and a current utility bill with my name and current address. When I appear at a polling place, I am asked to show my drivers license. Why? Because it proves that I am a U.S. citizen and I live in the district where I am voting.
Isn't it odd that all the 'I can't find my birth certificate' people can now find their birth certificate or get one to get a drivers license. But for some odd reason, they can't find their birth certicate to get a voter ID card.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
To renew my FL driver license, I had to produce my birth certificate, my SS card and a current utility bill with my name and current address. When I appear at a polling place, I am asked to show my drivers license. Why? Because it proves that I am a U.S. citizen and I live in the district where I am voting.
Isn't it odd that all the 'I can't find my birth certificate' people can now find their birth certificate or get one to get a drivers license. But for some odd reason, they can't find their birth certicate to get a voter ID card.
Do you need a voter ID card in Fla? Here in NH your driver's lic does it all...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Right - so the transportation argument is moot
Actually it isn't.

If there are no relatives or friends - no transportation

If the person is unable to walk or its too far - unable to get there.

If the person can't take the bus or there is no bus route that he/she can take or is near where she/he lives - unable to get there.

If the person is unable to get a cab or can't pay for one - unable to get there.

if the person works 10am - 8 pm at night, because they need to, and the DMV is only open from 8 am to 3pm - and many DMV's are no longer open M-F (having furlough schedules) or the weekends....what is a person to do?

That's why i said "some". cause "some" people just simply can't make the trip due to reasons that are to numerous to list.

The requirement puts an Undue burden on people.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't know your community, but in my community, both the democratic and republican party locals will come by and pick you up to go vote and will assist you with registration, to include helping you obtain a valid ID.
I would guess that a lot of volunteer organizations and others would also, like the Jaycees and VFW etc...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM

In NH for those people who are registered and home bound for any reason they can have a ballot sent to them for filling. You don't need to go vote in person if it is a hardship in NH, but you gotta have a ID.

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I could live with that, but rental folks would have to pay for public school and a host of other things taxes pay for as legit....
Property taxes are figured into rent.

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Actually it isn't.

If there are no relatives or friends - no transportation

If the person is unable to walk or its too far - unable to get there.

If the person can't take the bus or there is no bus route that he/she can take or is near where she/he lives - unable to get there.

If the person is unable to get a cab or can't pay for one - unable to get there.

if the person works 10am - 8 pm at night, because they need to, and the DMV is only open from 8 am to 3pm - and many DMV's are no longer open M-F (having furlough schedules) or the weekends....what is a person to do?

That's why i said "some". cause "some" people just simply can't make the trip due to reasons that are to numerous to list.

The requirement puts an Undue burden on people.
Your scenarios are starting to get down to .0001% of the population, but even then, a lot of local charitable and religious organizations would assist. You can't always depend solely on government, or you may wait a while.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Property taxes are figured into rent.
yes I know, but once only land owners could vote... A little off shoot from the main discussion..

Wapasa, 'we' might get some benifit if some of these dreamers would send us what ever they are smokin'!

No ID No Vote.... just that simple...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
So when is the GOP crackdown coming in regards to absentee ballots. You know those things that you can just send in without having to produce an ID on the spot.

It would seem to be a lot easier to tamper with those things than to try to fraudulently cast a vote in person.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies