Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 AM

256 posts, read 479,471 times

Advertisements

I have never understood why conservatives try to push their beliefs on other people. If y'all don't like abortions, well then don't get an abortion. If you don't like homosexuality, don't be a homosexual. Why do you have to pretend to be little crussader knights for your social causes, attacking everyone who isn't like you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 12:58 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,711 times
They don't. You're describing leftists.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:00 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
Seattle - You're aware that it's not just Conservatives who do that, right? I'm not an American, nor do I live in the United States, but I can see both the left and right going on their crusade. You have confirmation bias, which is why it appears as if Conservatives do it more than Liberals.

In fact, the inflammatory wording you've specifically chosen for this very thread suggests that you're on a crusade of your own.

Do you see how that sort of mentality prevents bridges being built and exacerbates the very behavior you're ostensibly trying to stop?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
I have never understood why conservatives try to push their beliefs on other people. If y'all don't like abortions, well then don't get an abortion. If you don't like homosexuality, don't be a homosexual. Why do you have to pretend to be little crussader knights for your social causes, attacking everyone who isn't like you??
Both sides do that. In fact, social crusades are more historically and ideologically typical of liberals than they are of conservatives. Sometimes they are good crusades, such as for integration and voting rights. Sometimes they are stupid crusades, such as to ban spanking or smoking or to call almost anything sexual harassment. But they are social crusades either way.

Most modern conservatives are dolts and don't understand that conservatism began as an essentially "live and let live" philosophy, which is why they have outpaced the liberals in the sort of social crusading you mention. It's always puzzled me that a philosophy that started with Burke and Hamilton, a belief in incremental change, and a distrust of extreme solutions, has degenerated to Michael Savage and Mark Levin, and now proclaims that no solution to any problem is ever extreme enough. It explains why Al Franken perceptively said a few years back that the Democratic Party is now both the more liberal and the more conservative party in the United States, and it explains why I've voted the way I have for the past 10 years.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 AM

256 posts, read 479,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Seattle - You're aware that it's not just Conservatives who do that, right? I'm not an American, nor do I live in the United States, but I can see both the left and right going on their crusade. You have confirmation bias, which is why it appears as if Conservatives do it more than Liberals.

In fact, the inflammatory wording you've specifically chosen for this very thread suggests that you're on a crusade of your own.

Do you see how that sort of mentality prevents bridges being built and exacerbates the very behavior you're ostensibly trying to stop?
When we liberals "crusade" for a cause it's something decent like civil rights, women's rights, etc.
When conservatives do it, it's out of ignorance and a backward mentality

Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
Quote:
When we liberals "crusade" for a cause it's something decent like civil rights, women's rights, etc.
Such as when Ronald Reagan shocked the world by calling the Soviet Union "The Evil Empire" in the early 80s, which drew battle lines and ended up collapsing a regime that had starved tens of millions of people to death and had purged tens of millions more?

Or when President Eisenhower crusaded to expand the Interstate highway system, which resulted in a post-war America gaining unprecedented mobility and economic gain?

There have been great crusades by both the Liberal and Conservative sides of the fence. Don't believe the hype.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Or like 16 ounce limits on soda, or gun control... Hey, if you don't want a 16 ounce soda, don't buy one. If you don't want a gun, don't buy one, but don't infringe on what I want either....You see, the door swings both ways....The only person your bias is not clearly apparent to, is you.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Lightbulb It's a personality disorder

Quote:

It's explained very well here:

Right-wing authoritarians are people who have a high degree of willingness to submit to authorities they perceive as established and legitimate, who adhere to societal conventions and norms, and who are hostile and punitive in their attitudes towards people who don't adhere to them. They value uniformity and are in favour of using group authority, including coercion, to achieve it.

Right-wing authoritarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
It's explained very well here:

Right-wing authoritarians are people who have a high degree of willingness to submit to authorities they perceive as established and legitimate, who adhere to societal conventions and norms, and who are hostile and punitive in their attitudes towards people who don't adhere to them. They value uniformity and are in favour of using group authority, including coercion, to achieve it.

Right-wing authoritarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OH Wikipedia.. What a great source. The source that anyone can change. Yep, that's definetly a source to utilize to dispairage a group of people.....

Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:

With a handle of SeattleWA surely you must be familiar with all the sex raids and sex stings run by police in the Seattle area:
Local News | 14 arrested in raid at Rick's strip club | Seattle Times Newspaper
The Blotter | Cops take over massage parlor, arrest six customers | Seattle Times Newspaper
Local News | Police raid 3 "temples" in prostitution sting | Seattle Times Newspaper
Ad on Craigslist really a sex sting - seattlepi.com

I could list more, but you get the gist.

Seattle's political powers that be are of course 100% left-liberal, generally the further left the more readily elected. Why do left-liberals force their beliefs on others? Don't like strip clubs or prostitutes, don't go to one, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies