Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
With the Bush tax cuts I see people who get a tax return check for more then they paid in, so it's worse then some folks not paying taxes, they are essentially getting a welfare check at the end of the year.
Yep. Already documented by the Chairman of the Economics Department at Harvard University, here:
Quote:
Because transfer payments are, in effect, the opposite of taxes, it makes sense to look not just at taxes paid, but at taxes paid minus transfers received. For 2009, the most recent year available, here are taxes less transfers as a percentage of market income (income that households earned from their work and savings):

Bottom quintile: -301 percent
Second quintile: -42 percent
Middle quintile: -5 percent
Fourth quintile: 10 percent
Highest quintile: 22 percent
Top one percent: 28 percent

The negative 301 percent means that a typical family in the bottom quintile receives about $3 in transfer payments for every dollar earned.

The most surprising fact to me was that the effective tax rate is negative for the middle quintile. According to the CBO data, this number was +14 percent in 1979 (when the data begin) and remained positive through 2007. It was negative 0.5 percent in 2008, and negative 5 percent in 2009. That is, the middle class, having long been a net contributor to the funding of government, is now a net recipient of government largess.
Greg Mankiw's Blog: The Progressivity of Taxes and Transfers

CBO report cited:
CBO | The Distribution of Household Income and Federal Taxes, 2008 and 2009

The current tax structure, in which the majority are now MAKING money off of government transfers, simply isn't sustainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Not to mention non-citizens getting huge checks for children that have never stepped foot in our country. Our tax policies in this country are FUBAR.
Indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How am I a hypocrite?
Yesterday, you start a thread in which you throw a tantrum that insurance companies are willing to foot the bill to hire private firefighters to protect the homes (which they insure) of rich people.

SIXTEEN HOURS LATER, you start this thread, in which you state that the GOP is fanning the flames of class warfare.

Sorry, pal, but that makes you a MAJOR FREAKING HYPOCRITE.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Being an outsider, I don't really know the difference between Republican and Democrat, which is probably a good thing. Through the ears of a laymen...what I hear is the cry of betrayal from a nation injured by those who achieved economic success and did not know where to go from there- other than continue to climb a ladder of greed without purpose- Perhaps classic capitalism has bloomed...stayed in full flower and now it wilts. Everything has a start and an end. There is a rush to plant seeds of a new order...and order that is like a departing plane with limited seating.

Instead of finding a way to achieve mutual co-operation and common survival.....it is every man for himself. Like men in a desert fighting over the last bottle of water..Instead of each taking sip and all walking out to safety- One wants to guzzle all the water and sacrifice the rest. There is no politically actuated eugenics....that would suggest someone is in control- This election has a flavor called panic.

They had better figure out quickly there will be no winners at this rate...Who ever wins will still sit at the head of a table where food will not be served....AMERICA will continue to decline. Competition was what drove AMERICA forward- it is now what will drag it to it's knees- Mutual co-operation is the only hope...Those how seek office for powers sake and nothing else will only add to decline.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Instead of finding a way to achieve mutual co-operation and common survival.....it is every man for himself.
That could just as appropriately describe the welfare-dependent class. They want benefits and services WITHOUT contributing to the cost of such.

An artists' depiction... specifically note her PSA alert...

Chapter - It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Clean) - YouTube

Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yesterday, you start a thread in which you throw a tantrum that insurance companies are willing to foot the bill to hire private firefighters to protect the homes (which they insure) of rich people.

SIXTEEN HOURS LATER, you start this thread, in which you state that the GOP is fanning the flames of class warfare.

As some cry fire in a theater - others set a fire...and others fan the flames - while cut throat opportunist set up outside the theater to sell bandages and pain killers to the burn victims.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There is no politically actuated eugenics....that would suggest someone is in control

There is somebody in control. People like the multi-billionaire Koch brothers, who not only pour money into elections in obscene amounts, but have the temerity to actually write legislation which benefits only the elites and pay their toadies to pass it. There is a whole cabal of wealthy industrialist's who have perverted the electoral process through a byzantine collection of inter-related think tanks, public interest organizations, political action committees, lobbyists, media outlets and law firms.

They fund and direct the most relentless assault on The People ever seen in this country.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

So, if I start a thread offering up an example of the special benefits the elites get, I'm a hypocrite? I'm the one practicing class warfare? That's a bit like calling me an arsonist because I reported someone starting a fire.

But, on second thought, I AM engaging in class warfare! It's not a war I sought, not a war I wanted and not a war I started, but by GOD I will NOT lay down and surrender to my would be masters without a fight.

As CPT John Parker said on Lexington green in 1775, "...if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Last edited by stillkit; 07-25-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Can a lefty explain why this isn't enough to end their support of Obama?

GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt, The Head Of Obama’s Jobs Council, Is Moving Jobs And Economic Infrastructure To China At A Blistering Pace

Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Do you have a credible source.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So, if I start a thread offering up an example of the special benefits the elites get, I'm a hypocrite?
What special benefits do they get that no one else can also get for paying the same price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies