Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
First, I think you are ignoring that these are marginal rates. If your income is $250,001/year, you pay the same rates as someone who makes $50,000 on your first $50,000. The additional tax is only on that income above $250,000. In this case, you would pay a higher rate on $1.

Why this is fair is because the burden is not linear. While $1,000 is 10% to someone earning $10,000 and $1,000,000 s 10% to someone earning $10,000,000, $1,000 is more significant to the first person than a million to the second -- the first would be hardshipped to loss that $1,000 while the second would not feel it at all. That's the basis for the progressive tax system that you apparently reject.

Second, we should tax the rich more because that's where the money is.
Ha, ha, funny.

My incremental income is not $1, so not much relevence.

Again, use of services have a cost. How is difficulty in paying relevent, we are paying for services...and services have a defined value. The Govt services i recieve are not worth more to me than the other person. Hence, I should not pay more.

With you example, If I go to a restaurant I should be prepared to pay $30 for my steak dinner, so my neighbor who makes less can pay $10. That way we both get the same service, but in your example, simply becasue I can pay more I should do it to minimize the impact on my neighbor and maintain revenues for the restaurant (Govt.).

Point 2 - Well, sounds like envy to me. If someone else has the money, you want to take it from them....proves my point. I don't want to take money from anyone, but some people can't accept the fact that others simply have more. Nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
No not really. I consider investment income (taxed at 15%) income gained from taking a risk, and willing to loose money. This can provide capital to businesses, and in turn help create jobs. I am fine with investments being taxed at 15%. If someone is living off investments, than their is a good chance their total tax contribution to services recieved is pretty high.

I have more of a problem in excess use of services and not paying anything for them. I would be open to exhempting those is dire financial situations, but when almost half of wage earners pay no income tax, their is a problem.
Lets use Waltons for example. Most of their income is derived from capital gains from the Walmart Stock, which of course they did nothing to get. There is a risk that it will go down, but they could take all of their money out of the stock and put it in govt. bonds at no risk and still pay the same 15% tax rate.

You have the consumed the trickle down theory of economics that it is in the best interest of the U.S. for the rich to keep their money and the poor should have to pay more money. Basically if it benefits the rich then it benefits everyone. This is pure class warfare and total garbage.

I have to admit that the Republican propaganda machine is working really well, when they have convinced people that the rich should have to pay less as a percentage than working professionals. I mean really what a machine that would make people go against their own common sense.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Yeah...a blog....yawn. RW love their esoteric blogs.
The blogger:
"Tino Sanandaji is a 31 year old Post-Doc at the University of Chicago and a Research Fellow at the Institute of Industrial Economics. He has a M.A in Economics and a Ph.D. in Public Policy from the University of Chicago."

No slouch, there...

The sources:
Maxwell School of Syracuse University
http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2011/12/poll/topline.pdf

Yawn all you want, but you won't be able to dispute the fact that 60-80% of welfare recipients are Democrats. Thus, even in the red states, blue states are supporting deadbeat Democrats.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Lets use Waltons for example. Most of their income is derived from capital gains from the Walmart Stock, which of course they did nothing to get. There is a risk that it will go down, but they could take all of their money out of the stock and put it in govt. bonds at no risk and still pay the same 15% tax rate.

You have the consumed the trickle down theory of economics that it is in the best interest of the U.S. for the rich to keep their money and the poor should have to pay more money. Basically if it benefits the rich then it benefits everyone. This is pure class warfare and total garbage.
No it is not. I am for equal opportunity, not equal outcome. What gives you the right to take from one and give to another? If one works hard, takes risk, becomes more educated, generally succeeeds. Those unwilling to do that, have big challenges. I am fine with everyone benefitting, but it means everyone contributing, and not simply being envious, and redistributing. There is ample of opportunity, but gone are the times of showing up for work, punching a clock, and making a strong salary. There is completition, and those who thrive in this global environment will do well, those who can't will have it tough.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The blogger:
"Tino Sanandaji is a 31 year old Post-Doc at the University of Chicago and a Research Fellow at the Institute of Industrial Economics. He has a M.A in Economics and a Ph.D. in Public Policy from the University of Chicago."

No slouch, there...

The sources:
Maxwell School of Syracuse University
http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2011/12/poll/topline.pdf

Yawn all you want, but you won't be able to dispute the fact that 60-80% of welfare recipients are Democrats. Thus, even in the red states, blue states are supporting deadbeat Democrats.
All the more reason for me to throw a parade and support your secession, especially from the Chicago School Economics.

Bye, bye...

Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
No it is not. I am for equal opportunity, not equal outcome. What gives you the right to take from one and give to another? If one works hard, takes risk, becomes more educated, generally succeeeds. Those unwilling to do that, have big challenges. I am fine with everyone benefitting, but it means everyone contributing, and not simply being envious, and redistributing. There is ample of opportunity, but gone are the times of showing up for work, punching a clock, and making a strong salary. There is completition, and those who thrive in this global environment will do well, those who can't will have it tough.
The constitution gives the govt. the right to tax. People do not pay taxes for the benefit of themselves. If that were the case, there would not be any need for taxes. Taxes are paid for which the community, country etc. benefit. Those who pay the most should be the ones who have benefitted the most from living in this country.
I still don't understand how you could think it perfectly acceptable that one of the Waltons who have excelled at nothing other than winning the birth lottery should pay less percentage of taxes than you. Do you believe this is some divine right they God has bestowed on them? Do you feel that they are better than you and therefor should pay less? I am sorry I just don't understand it.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I think it is and it's a war the GOP started.

Ever since they won control of the House of Representatives and several states in 2010, they have launched an unprecedented assault on working American's and the poor. They've attacked union bargaining in several states, cut or eliminated promised retirement benefits, laid off thousands of government workers, failed to offer a jobs program of their own beyond cutting taxes for the wealthy, tried to eliminate health and safety regulations, defunded education and turned some states into virtual corporate fiefdoms by parking corporate bureaucrats right alongside the state agencies which regulate them (see: Oklahoma). Along the way, they've promised to eliminate health care options, cut off aid to the poor, "privatize" Social Security and defund various regulatory bodies. They're promising "you people" little more than scraps from the tables of the elites.

In August, they will nominate a candidate who represents the worst excesses of the modern day Era of the Robber Barons which has been responsible for the virtual annihilation of the middle class and the outsourcing or off-shoring of our jobs. He's a man with a history of slashing and burning American jobs in the name of corporate profitability.

And then, they have the audacity to try and make us believe that what's good for the elite is good for us.
You are so right. The Republicans have been conducting class warfare for many years. FDR had some choice words for them. Their naked greed and lust for power are quite remarkable. I do think Obama will be re-elected though and I am working for, and contributing financially to the campaigns of, Democratic candidates.

The Republicans are really best at starting wars for their wealthy business friends to profit from, playing on peoples' prejudices about gays and Hispanics, creating poverty, exacerbating poverty, voter suppression, and advancing evil in general. They should change their name to Satan's Servants. Base, amoral people.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
All the more reason for me to throw a parade and support your secession, especially from the Chicago School Economics.
I thought lefties LOVED the Swedes. Tino Sanandaji is a Research Fellow at the Institute of Industrial Economics in Sweden.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The constitution gives the govt. the right to tax. People do not pay taxes for the benefit of themselves. If that were the case, there would not be any need for taxes. Taxes are paid for which the community, country etc. benefit. Those who pay the most should be the ones who have benefitted the most from living in this country.
I still don't understand how you could think it perfectly acceptable that one of the Waltons who have excelled at nothing other than winning the birth lottery should pay less percentage of taxes than you. Do you believe this is some divine right they God has bestowed on them? Do you feel that they are better than you and therefor should pay less? I am sorry I just don't understand it.
Again, I want everyone to pay less in taxes. Why is it my business, if the Walton's can legally pay less than me % wise? If they pay 15% on a $100 million in investment income, that is $15 million. I am pretty sure they have paid their fair share. Why do I need them to pay 30% or $30 million unless I coveted their money in a GOvt. program? I see earned income and investment income seperately. I have a problem with those who contribute nothing, but use the same amount of services as I do, or someone who pays nothing and states that those of us who are already paying hefty amounts that we should pay more for more Govt programs or to pay down the debt.

SOmeone in the Waltons' family earned that money originally, through work, investment, etc. We should be clapping our hands for people like this instead of worrying about what they do or don't do.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
You are so right. The Republicans have been conducting class warfare for many years. FDR had some choice words for them. Their naked greed and lust for power are quite remarkable. I do think Obama will be re-elected though and I am working for, and contributing financially to the campaigns of, Democratic candidates.

The Republicans are really best at starting wars for their wealthy business friends to profit from, playing on peoples' prejudices about gays and Hispanics, creating poverty, exacerbating poverty, voter suppression, and advancing evil in general. They should change their name to Satan's Servants. Base, amoral people.
ha, you must be waving your hands in the air and spewing spittle when you made this comment....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies