Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times

Advertisements

Better dump some more iron into the ocean and save the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What would have happened if ALL of the Greenland Ice cap melted in June? That would be interesting.
I suppose that would allow the ground to breathe a little. How would you feel if you were buried under ice for 150 years?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:47 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quick; plant some trees!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I suppose that would allow the ground to breathe a little. How would you feel if you were buried under ice for 150 years?
the greenland ice sheet is tens of millions of years old

Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's never happened before. Even scientists are unsure of the reason and aren't necessarily attributing it to climate change, but it has happened.
Sorry to prove you wrong, but it has happened before.

When most of the glacier finally melts, we can send in archaeologists to dig for artifacts left by the people who colonized Greenland, and then abandoned that land when the glaciers ran them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Except it hasn't happened for at least 30 years, but hey, there is now some more sand in which to bury your head.
It has happened many, many, many times in the last 2,000 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
What will happen if the Gulf Stream collapses due to the change in salinity of the Northern Atlantic caused by the melting ice? What do the scientists say? What are the consequences? Have you done your research? Are you so sure in your beliefs in the face of scientific facts?
What will happen if Congress starts wearing white-powdered wigs again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Even if the Earth's crust starts to melt, all the oceans vaporize, humanity dies in droves, and flames engulf every inch of land... there will still be a Republican somewhere claiming that it's all a liberal hoax.
That was a rather ambient Straw Man Argument.

(ACM) Anthropogenic Crustal Melting, is that what you're driving at?

So, uh, what part of "Inter-Glacial Period" do you people not understand?

Laughing at the superior intellect.....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Scientists are unsure why ice melts?
I fall off my chair....

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
There hasn't been enough destruction from hurricanes (btw, Krugman has been sad about this). So now it's time to focus on a different variance in the weather.

Environment: Something Fishy About Acid Rain . - TIME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Honesty would be nice.

This has in fact happened before. it happens on average every 150 years or so and according to a Goddard glaciologist, this event is right on time.

Here is the link to the NASA news release (actual good information and not panic silliness provided in the OP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It took 19 posts for someone to finally start wondering about this. Kudoes, Mac_Muz.

The report doesn't say that all but 3% of the Greenland ice sheet melted.

It says that all but 3% of the SURFACE of the Greenland ice sheet melted.

See the difference?
Well, no one ever said *******s are intelligent.

Saluting those who got it right....

Mircea

Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
"This kind of comprehensive surface melting might happen about every 150 years or so in Greenland, which would make this year unusual but not unprecedented, Serreze said by telephone."

Greenland melts, open water in Arctic Ocean: scientists | Reuters

I mean, I'm not against cutting back on fossil fuels, I'm all for it in a business oriented way that doesn't hurt the economy.

But this just sounds like a one off weather anamoly.

Call me when its a 2 to 5 year event.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:15 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
It's cyclical

Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Thaks cruxan, these videos are exactly what I was after. I still doubtb this is caused by anything more than a hot spell, and sooner or later the ice will be back, and a littlen past that in time that same ice will be back here in NH, as it once was, and apx 2 miles high......

geeze in the last vid where climbers are on the ice, I think i saw a chouinard ice axe when fit with wooden grips.. Those are antique and collectable.

This is what glaciers do.....

Old 07-26-2012, 05:00 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,992 times
Where is Greenland?

Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Where is Greenland?
You can't be serious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies