U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,835,319 times

Advertisements

According to a report from NASA, satellite observations of Greenlandís ice cap reveal that it has melted more this summer than at any time since satellite observations began about thirty years ago.
Read more: NASA: Greenland ice melt event is worst in 123 years | The Capitol Column

Glacier twice as big as Manhattan snaps off Greenland ice sheet | Fox News
Nothng to see here, move along.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,728,133 times
Good. We need more land to plant corn for ethanol to save the planet.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,507,136 times
But apparently, it has melted before -- perhaps the alarmists should take some time off from their parroted rhetoric to read the sory in full.

Guess we'll have to blame all that horse-flatulence back in 1889.

And speaking of horse-emissions, there is surely an abundance of that from certain very-dedicated advocacies within this forum

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-26-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 29 days ago)

58,182 posts, read 40,987,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And speacking of horse-emissions, there is surely an abundance of that from certain very-dedicated advocacies within this forum

The Flat Earth Society?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,230,142 times
Interesting how earth changes, and just think with out permission from Man.. Over a wide area a few inches of ice was lost, on a heap of ice in someplaces 2 miles thick. This is fascinating, but it is summer there and summer there means 24 hour sun, and on grayed snow from the recent volcano in iceland..

The way these reports are make it appear as if ALL the ICE has melted and that would be a problem if it did all at once. it has not.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,230,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Good. We need more land to plant corn for ethanol to save the planet.

great point! Would you suppose we will be making ethenol since corn crop has failed this year?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Interesting how earth changes, and just think with out permission from Man.. Over a wide area a few inches of ice was lost, on a heap of ice in someplaces 2 miles thick. This is fascinating, but it is summer there and summer there means 24 hour sun, and on grayed snow from the recent volcano in iceland..

The way these reports are make it appear as if ALL the ICE has melted and that would be a problem if it did all at once. it has not.
Every summer........or should I say warming period to the globals..........we hear the same ice melting nonsense being spewed by these folks. Broken record. They actually don't even realize how ridiculous they sound.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
According to a report from NASA, satellite observations of Greenlandís ice cap reveal that it has melted more this summer than at any time since satellite observations began about thirty years ago.
Read more: NASA: Greenland ice melt event is worst in 123 years | The Capitol Column

Glacier twice as big as Manhattan snaps off Greenland ice sheet | Fox News
Nothng to see here, move along.
1. Duplicate thread.
2. If you read the article it's a cyclical pattern that occurs there about every 150 years for millenium as noted by ice core samples of the area.

They need an emoticon for the look you would give someone if you were to catch them doing something like eating a booger. Something in-between horror and disgust.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
great point! Would you suppose we will be making ethenol since corn crop has failed this year?
One would think anyone with common sense would suspend or reduce ethanol production when something like this occurs. Of course there are none with this trait running the government so it won't happen.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM

10,582 posts, read 8,281,864 times
Since we're posting stuff that has already been posted earlier ( 97% of Greenland ice sheet melts in July ).....

I lived in northern Greenland for 2-1/2 years in 1985-1987, as System Engineer of the BMEWS radar station up there (at Thule, Greenland). I got to know Greenland pretty well, or at least that part of it. And soaked up a lot of Greenland info while I was there.

In places, the Greenland ice sheet is three MILES thick. You're not going to melt that with a few days of above-32F temperatures.

A few zillion years ago, Greenland might have been a bare land mass about the same size and shape as it looks on a map today, but way back before the ice started building up on it. But ice isn't lightweight. Today, the land surface of most of Greenland has been depressed down below sea level, with a shiiteload of ice on top of it. If all the ice were to vanish right now, and nothing else changed, Greenland would be a ring of land where the present rim of the country is now, surrounding a huge inland sea.

But something else would change, of course: Ice doesn't just go away. It would have to melt into water, as others have pointed out here. If all the ice on Greenland were to melt right now, sea levels around the world would rise about six feet. That's a LOT of ice. A number of low-lying areas around the various coasts of the world, would be under water, more at high tides.

BTW, temperatures in Greenland rise above 32F every year. I've never heard of an exception, ANY year, and I'm pretty sure that's true for ever square inch of the place. Happens more in the south than in the north, and often doesn't last long, obviously, especially in the north. Summer is the obvious time when this happens, of course, but it even happens occasionally in winter, and even in the north.

There's an odd weather phenomenon where, in the middle of winter with temperatures constantly below -20F (pretty common), temperature will suddenly and abruptly rise to +32F and even a fraction above it. And when it does, you'd better take cover, because then the wind starts to blow. And it gets up to hurricane strength, can exceed 100mph at times, and lasts for several days. At Thule we called these "phase storms", though I suppose a better name would be "arctic hurricane". Happens several times every winter, but not in summer. They die down after a few days usually, and temps drop back down to a more-normal -20F or -30F. Lowest temp I saw during my stay was -44F.

Keep in mind too, that north of the Arctic Circle, the sun stays up 24 hours a day in summer, and stays down 24 hrs/day in winter. In summer, it's not unusual for temperatures to rise above 32F and stay there continuously, 24/hrs/day, for weeks. And the ice cap starts to melt, FAST. Happens every summer. And then, of course, it re-ices up in winter, both from falling snow (thought Greenland is a virtual desert, gets only about 3" of precipitation every years on average) and from snow and ice that blows in from elsewhere (Canada, Roosia, and from much of the sea which freezes every winter in those parts).

The highest temperature I saw in the 2-1/2 years I was there, was +68F, for a few hours one day in July (I believe 1986). That's extremely unusual in that location, but it happens. Highest normal temperature for a summer is around +50F, give or take, and even that doesn't last long. But temps stay above +32F for days or weeks on end, all over Greenland, every summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies