Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Definatly the law saying folks need to buy Health ins even if they dont want to. What the hell kind of commie came up with that joke.

Actually it was Romney and the Heritage Foundation. Do you remember Romneycare in Massachusetts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
actualy qualudes was mentioned in the show and thats why they thought it would work with meth. It didnt .
It's never been tried with meth. To much industry push back (Sudafed is profitable).

Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Pseudoephedrine can be manufactured directly from the ephedra plant itself if necessary. The pseudoephedrine factories in India and Indonesia use a process involving yams and yeast instead because it is faster, but even if they were shut down, it would not be impossible for clandestine labs to take their place. It's not the simplest manufacturing process, but a few well-paid chemists with the right strain of yeast could start right back up where the other factories left off. Failing that, direct extraction from ephedra would probably become more popular. It's also an area that hasn't seen a lot of research; skilled chemists working with ephedra could almost certainly find more efficient extraction and processing methods than the ones which were developed back in the 1930's.
I'd imagine the costs would be way too prohibitive.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:35 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Actually it was Romney and the Heritage Foundation. Do you remember Romneycare in Massachusetts?

Read about it a little. You will find that the only reason Romney didnt veto it is because it passed the legislature with a veto proof majority. The insurance industry owns massachusetts. They are the ones who got gay marriage passed.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Definatly the law saying folks need to buy Health ins even if they dont want to. What the hell kind of commie came up with that joke.
Here's the short list of the co-sponsors who originally supported and introduced the Individual Mandate to congress:

Newt Gingrich, Tom DeLay, Orrin Hatch, Jesse Helms, Bob Dole, Strom Thurmond, Trent Lott, Larry Craig, Ted Stevens, Charles Grassley, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Henry Hyde, Jim Talent, Dick Armey, Porter Goss, Duncan Hunter, David Hobson, Dennis Hastert, Daniel Coats, Thad Cochran, Richard Lugar, Frank Murkowski, Alan Simpson, Bob Bennett, Hank Brown, Lauch Faircloth, Paul Coverdell, Conrad Burns, Judd Gregg, Dirk Kempthorne, Connie Mack, Bob Smith, Malcolm Wallop.......

Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
Quote:
I'd imagine the costs would be way too prohibitive.
It depends on who is buying, I guess. The Indian factories use a molasses yeast fermentation method to create a slurry that can be turned into the R-enantiomer of phenylacetylcarbinol with the addition of benzaldehyde, which is then put through a hydroamination reaction using hydrogen gas and transition metal powder, as I recall (this is all public information; I'm not revealing anything new).

As a bulk process, that probably takes a few million dollars worth of large vats and mixing/monitoring devices. But that's the yeast process; it is far more chemically complex than direct extraction from the plant.

If cartels are willing to spend millions of dollars to build submersible vessels to transport drugs, I don't see why they'd let some mid-range organic chemistry stop them from producing meth.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Before any of these victimless crime laws can be repealed, first we would have to repeal any law that forces a to pay for the health care needs of b. If you wish to engage in behavior that harms only yourself, all well & good; it's none of my business. But if I have to pay for the health consequences, now it is my business.

If I'm going to have to clean up the mess, I'm going to demand a say in diaper selection. First and foremost, make it strong.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Personally, I think the US government should have a talk (probably involving a check book) with the small handful of chemical manufacturers and convince them to cease production (or at the very least cease shipment to certain Latin American buyers) of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. No more meth problem.
Why should innocent people have to walk around with stuffed up noses because of some GD meth head somewhere?

Find some other solution....don't punish the innocent to get to the guilty.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I know many will say the drug laws, prostitution, and I see your point, but those laws only affect me indirectly.

My vote would be for removal of speed limits on the interstate highways.
Most drugs. Consenting adult pay sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies