Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
That is exactly what should have been addressed in the health care bill and not the pig swill we ended up with.
I agree 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand what you are saying, however why is that the government's problem?
Because government is the instrument a society uses to solve macro-level problems.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM

749 posts, read 838,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Thats crap. I remember trying to get Blue Cross Blue Shield when I was 19 years old. My bill was over 200 bucks a month and the only thing I had on my health record was some depression medications that I took when I was 12 or something. Try paying that when you are in college and don't have mom and dad helping you out.
$200 a month huh?

Trying envisioning Blue Cross' cash outlay if you ended up in the hospital....for that $200 a month. One hospital stay for ANY reason, and you'd likely NEVER pay off their bill with your monthly payment.

It is what it is. Everyone is a risk, even a college student with a spotless health record.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:05 PM

667 posts, read 515,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is a saying "Common sense isn't so common", and I agree. Having spent decades in health care, a lot of it as a public health nurse, I have heard just about every nutty practice you can think of justified as common sense. So no, I don't think that "common sense" says that one will use health care more if we have a UHC, which is NOT free in any event.
I applaud you for providing care to many people.

I too am in healthcare and see that human nature is to "buy" things more if you are not paying. While I learned in high school economics that "there is no such thing as a free lunch" it feels free if you do not have to pay for it when you receive it. Just consider the once rampant use of credit cards.

Again, in healthcare finance and operations, I traveled the country and saw a variety of healthcare finance options from a percentage of charges (providers loved that) to prepaid healthcare (scary for everyone involed except the insurance company). People do consume more healthcare when they do not have to pay for it directly.

On the contrary, and a personal experience, I switched from a typical healthcare plan to a high deductible ($5k) plan. I am much more of a cautious consumer when the money is coming straight from my pocket than when I meet my deductible.

Any UHC plan would have to come with heavy restrictions and regulations to be financially sustainable long term. That is not politics that is the economics of human nature. The politics is how you spin the econiomic truth of who pays and what strings are attached.

Last edited by TNEC_Dad; 07-30-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Who is Responsible for Paying Your Personal Medical Bills?

Quote:
Texas Governor Rick Perry says he won't expand Medicaid eligibility under the health reform law because he wants to spare taxpayers billions of dollars.
But many Texas taxpayers are already shouldering the burden of the state's uninsured through higher property taxes and heftier health insurance premiums.
Who covers health care for Texas' uninsured? Taxpayers

When insurance refuses to provide reasonable coverage, they continue to make huge profits at the tax payers expense.

Health Insurance Company CEOs Total Compensation in 2008

Haven't you people, who are against NHI, had enough yet?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Because government is the instrument a society uses to solve macro-level problems.
A person not being able to pay their medical bills is not a macro level problem.

An individual having the right to pursue health care is a macro level issue. An individual determining how to pay for that health care is a micro-level problem.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
If you mind some of your taxes going to help these people who were shot or others in similar conditions and all you have to say is "tough luck" to them then you just suck.

Think about this, even if they did have insurance they may now have a life long condition after this and all insurance companies will refuse to insure them or will demand a crazy priced premium.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
The way the system works now, people who have a horrible event happen like this or who come down with a debilitating disease and cannot afford the expensive treatment will have to file for bankruptcy.

Medical bills are the number one reason for bankruptcy in this country. A universal system IMO would be much better, but as it stands now, bankruptcy is what most of these victims will have to go through if enough donations are raised to cover their care.

I hate to think of regular people who get shot and survive in a similar fashion, yet don't get media coverage like this event. They don't get donations and are lucky to get hospital charity or qualify for medicaid if they become destitute due to their injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies