Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Post #17 gave you a necessary reason. The reliability of the firearms require the OEM for which they were designed and manufactured. Yet, you completely ignored that factual post.
The fact that some people own a firearm that uses 30 round clips is not a compelling reason to allow them. I didn't ignore the post, I simply didn't find it compelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The fact that some people own a firearm that uses 30 round clips is not a compelling reason to allow them. I didn't ignore the post, I simply didn't find it compelling.
So design and reliability of function isn't compelling to you? I guess you think you can just ignore the physics of the forces which make the slide or bolt cycle, the casing extract and eject as well as the next round loading into the chamber, is that correct?

Do you understand that in the hands of LEOs and law abiding citizens that the failure of a firearm to function as designed due to the mandated use of reduced capacity magazines instead of OEM by bureaucrats and people like yourselves who have no actual knowledge of a functioning firearm costs lives? Or, is the loss of innocent life not compelling to you and CONTROL more important?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Do you understand that in the hands of LEOs and law abiding citizens that the failure of a firearm to function as designed due to the mandated use of reduced capacity magazines instead of OEM by bureaucrats and people like yourselves who have no actual knowledge of a functioning firearm costs lives?

As many lives as shooting up a theater in Aurora?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:12 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
As many lives as shooting up a theater in Aurora?
There's millions of other gun owners in this country who did nothing bad with their weapons. You can't put tens of millions at the mercy of criminals because of what one person did.

In case you didn't notice, the guy also had no problem making bombs from readily available meterials, and those could have killed more than he did with his guns.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
OEM = Original Equipment made by the Manufacturer

The firearm capacities of which Schumer, Feinstien, Boxer, Gillibrand and the other gun-brabbing control freaks of the elitist far left are not OEM.

OEM standard capacity magazines for a M4 platform AR-15 and similar semi-automatic (not assault weapon) is 30 rounds. When placing decreased/reduced capacity non-OEM magazines in same firearm they no longer reliably function thus placing in danger the lives of the operator due to probable malfunctions, be they LEO or civilian.
This is actually a very good point and unlike 99% of the posts about gun control, one that I've never seen or thought of before.

The magazine is definitely the weak link of any semi-auto as far as reliability. If you have a semi-auto rifle and have any inkling of ever using it for self defense, you want the most tested, most tried and true mag. For the AR that is the 20 or 30 round mag, for the Mini-14 the 20 round Ruger mag, etc.

IIRC when the 10 round mags started coming out in 1994 after the original "assault weapon" ban, several makers had problems with them. I want a mag that has been subject to years, if not decades, of manufacturing refinement.

You can be damn well sure that the secret service, and DiFi's, Schumer's, Lautenberg's security people are not carrying ten round mags. Why is their life more important than mine?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's millions of other gun owners in this country who did nothing bad with their weapons. You can't put tens of millions at the mercy of criminals because of what one person did.

In case you didn't notice, the guy also had no problem making bombs from readily available meterials, and those could have killed more than he did with his guns.
This is a fair point. I want a safe community. Knowing that guns do -- either legally or illegally-- fall in to the hands of the mentally ill and criminals, has to be balanced against the rights and desires of lawful gun owners.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,714,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Don't know, but with 300 million firearms out there and the all the shoulda, coulda, woulda, foam frothing by the gun nuts, you all, by your own admission aren't scaring the criminals either.

Except that's not true at all.

Places that used to have strict guns laws which have been overturned (see Washington DC) saw an immediate reduction in crime.

How well are those strict gun control laws working out in Chicago?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Life long gun owner and former competition shooter..
Why is 10 round mags not enough if the purpose is for plinking?
My 1911 has up to 8 and I have never felt it wasn't enough.
Now common sense.
10 round mags will still lay a hurting on a crowd of people. 20 rounds less hurting than a 30 round mag would do.
If its for home defence.
blazing 30 rounds in your house??????????
I dont see what the big deal is. But then I had no issue with the waiting period either.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
10 rounds? Are these people nuts?
They eventually want us all using musket front loaders, and then regulate sales of flint.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
I have to assume that Republicans believe that gun massacres are just part of American culture, and should be accepted as normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies