Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 05:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times

Advertisements

Well then read the post right after the "oh stop" post. It's for everyone.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Thus far, I have traveled to 61 different countries, including France. " Where do you work/What do you do for a living/what is your profession" are common questions - an ice breaker, occasionally seeking common ground or confirmation of ( often negative) opinions of Americans.

I am originally from the Chicago area. When I mention Chicago, half the people mimick machine guns with their arms.

The political discussions, regardless of who is in office or what's going on, are often the most challenging to dodge.

My choice to take offence or not. I remind myself I am a guest and turn the conversation back to the wonderful things we have experienced while visiting their country and the appreciation for our hosts.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Again, it depends upon WHAT they do for living. I'm sure many people are not ashamed of their profession, however just don't want to get into with people. What is a rocket scientist going to say?

What do you do?
I'm a rocket scientist.

After about 100 times of answering this and having MOST people look at them with a puzzled, ""Uh. What does that mean. Do. I mean, I can't ask him what he does, I can't even add 2+2 together and would have no clue what it is they are talking about. What do I do now." Look on their face, the person has probably given up answering truthfully.

As I said, I'm a police officer. I don't tell people what I do. Most run to the bathroom and dump their stash. The rest look at the drink they are holding and say, "Oh ****. I'm drinking and driving. Now I am going to be arrested." I could go on and on about stupid questions I get and statements. So now? I don't tell them what I do for a living. My next door neighbors don't even know what I do for a living.

Has nothing to do with being ashamed, et al. It has to do with saving me from the most stupid, inane, and inappropriate questions known to mankind.
I know a few rocket scientists (technically I have a degree that would enable me to get a job as one, and I did work as part of a team that engineered brackets used on one of the Mars rovers) and believe me, they're more than happy to bore everyone around them with their job descriptions

My life goal is to work for the NASA JPL and you bet your balls I'll be telling everyone in great detail what I do whether they like it or not

Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Yeah its a great conversation starter. Usually that conversation leads to other things and its a great way to get to know somebody.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I know a few rocket scientists (technically I have a degree that would enable me to get a job as one, and I did work as part of a team that engineered brackets used on one of the Mars rovers) and believe me, they're more than happy to bore everyone around them with their job descriptions

My life goal is to work for the NASA JPL and you bet your balls I'll be telling everyone in great detail what I do whether they like it or not
I would kill to work for JPL, but that does not mean I want to share that experience with others. Polite company does not discuss money, politics, religion, or sex.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM

7,500 posts, read 5,749,500 times
We spend way to much time worrying about feelings. If you don't like a question don't associate with that individual anymore. Pretty simple isn't it. Let people be who they are and be concerned about yourself. I'm sure there are a lot if people out there like you to associate with.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yeah, well you would be surprised how many times the question " so do you get paid well playing?" has been asked to me in conversation. The funny thing is those people might even make more money than me per year but I am probably better off than a lot of them, paid off house, paid off car, little credit card debt. Of course I ran away from ever being married or having kids , a trade off.

I love to listen to someone talk about their career if they have a passion for it, but people specially women who size you up by your title aka salary I have no use for.

My surgeon who recently removed a skin cancer from me, she has passion for her work I could tell even though she might make a good salary given her career. She also was very interested in guitar and stuff when I mentioned it. On the flip side I once worked at a high dollar prestigious auto line and many women that came in there for the most part were the gold digger types that marry a doctor and executive and such that wouldn't give you the time of day except they have to given they need the car fixed.
Yeah, I would be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Maybe she's trying to change American culture. More power to her. We could use a change or two.
Oh, gag me! For starts, when I read these threads that start, "In country X, this is how it's done", implying that country X has the holy grail, I usually tune out. It's all culture.

Quote:
What's funny is sometimes I'll open up to someone who _doesn't_ ask "the question" as a reward (if I sense a curiosity) (sorry, I'd like to insert a better word instead of 'reward', but I can't think of one now) for sensing my vibe/preference and because obviously they're classy to withhold the question til later or not ask it at all... So to the flame baiter (forgot his name already.p something) who insinuated I make money illegally or ashamed and other nonsense, stick that in your pipe and smoke it
OOOh, tell me, tell me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Again, it depends upon WHAT they do for living. I'm sure many people are not ashamed of their profession, however just don't want to get into with people. What is a rocket scientist going to say?

What do you do?
I'm a rocket scientist.

After about 100 times of answering this and having MOST people look at them with a puzzled, ""Uh. What does that mean. Do. I mean, I can't ask him what he does, I can't even add 2+2 together and would have no clue what it is they are talking about. What do I do now." Look on their face, the person has probably given up answering truthfully.

As I said, I'm a police officer. I don't tell people what I do. Most run to the bathroom and dump their stash. The rest look at the drink they are holding and say, "Oh ****. I'm drinking and driving. Now I am going to be arrested." I could go on and on about stupid questions I get and statements. So now? I don't tell them what I do for a living. My next door neighbors don't even know what I do for a living.

Has nothing to do with being ashamed, et al. It has to do with saving me from the most stupid, inane, and inappropriate questions known to mankind.
You may be a special case. However, in the case of the rocket scientists, I agree with Jet. My husband has a degree that would allow him to be a rocket scientist if he so chose, and he and his physics friends love to talk about what they do!

Quote:
Recent sports games questions if the person's male.

If female, then ... trickier.

I love talking about the taste of foods and anything related to food.
How sexist! I have found that men, especially, ask the question "what do you do?" as an ice breaker with other men. Women might be more likely to ask, "do you work outside the home?", or "do you have any kids?" with other women. "How do you know the host?" is always an appropriate question IMO, however, knowing some of these people on CD, they might be offended with that, too.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Have you ever been out at a gathering with people you meet for the first time and everyone is getting along well and then someone asks "hey what do you do for a living??"

I find that to be rude. I read that in France you could go to a dinner party every other night with several couples for a year and NO ONE would dare ask what you do for a living. They would ask questions like what book did you read last, Or have you visited the Louve museum or some sort of museum or discuss the arts.

It's not rude; it's perfectly socially acceptable and normal in the USA. This is not France. I've lived in France before and yes, it's not a question many people there ask because the culture there is very different. People in the US tend to define and value themselves by their profession whereas the French tend to define and value themselves by accomplishments or hobbies.

But again...this isn't France. Get used to people here asking you what you do for a living. It's just one of the ways Americans make small talk.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

OOOh, tell me, tell me!
how sad. in the past you were so mature Katiana. did you grandkid hijack your password? or perhaps you've spent one too many hours in the politics and other controversies forum

Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Get used to people here asking you what you do for a living. It's just one of the ways Americans make small talk.
Get used to people like me exercising his freedom of speech -which includes the freedom to give a rude answer if I deem the asker is sinister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies