U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:46 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,500,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Sounds a lot like my son. Mother has claimed he is probably ADHD since I was supposedly ADHD when in reality they just didn't want to give me harder work or move me up in school so I was fed pills for 5 years and it did no good. My son is starting headstart this year and I got a feeling we are gonna be going through the same crap with him as I went through but I refuse to put him on medication when he doesn't need it. He has a very active imagination and loves all things trucks no matter what kind...most active kid I have ever seen he will be a handful but he isn't ADHD.
I'm averse to medicating children with psychotropics and the over use of them by physicians has more to do with big pharma tilting science against the best interests of patients. I don't blame you wanting to spit out those pills. But you diagnosing your frustrated mother doesn't solve your problems, does it? Neither does the presumption that corporeal punishments and rigid discipline routines resolve the underlying cause, because current studies cite that it has the opposite effect. Sad to break this news to you, but you are self medicating and bragging about it on the internet.

I've seen a few things that may be useful to you in understanding the root causes & alternative treatment plans of ADHD. There is evidence to suggest that genetic damage to spermatazoa inflicted by an addicted dad leaves a legacy of repressed brain development to his progeny. Not just nurture, but a man made genetic damage. Poor nurture exacerbates problems. Perfect nurture (as if any parent could be perfect) in many cases struggles to overcome that man made genetic damage.
Alternative Therapies for ADD: Biofeedback for Children | ADDitude - ADD & LD Adults and Children
Treatments for ADHD: EEG Biofeedback: A Promising New Therapy for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
Biofeedback Helps Kids with ADHD | Psych Central News

I find it peculiar that ADHD would present itself as if it were an epidemic in the 80's. It coincides with 70's & 80's drug use, addictions less confronted by society, and also massive changes in modern culture that have the net effect of divorcing human beigns from their salt of the earth roots. Kids don't have time to play, or be outside in fresh air to let their bodies and brains catch up with each other. They're herded into conformity with academics and too much outside noise bombarding them with sales pitches. Too much time with video games and not enough time socializing with human beings. How many kids in your generation, or in this generation can say they've ever built a fort together with their neighborhood playmates? Just a theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM

47,586 posts, read 34,645,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You may know more about guns and NASCAR, but you don't know squat about other laws or health care treatment. Don't believe me, ask some of the health care providers on this forum
Did you really watch that video and you then concluded that the mother was wrong and stupid appearing or looked like she was the kind who would neglect her child? This isn't a case where a starving child is found locked in a closet, this is a perfectly coherent mother who didn't want mind altering dangerous drugs for her child.

And the judge at the end was with us who think the mother was right.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM

1,407 posts, read 178,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'm averse to medicating children with psychotropics and the over use of them by physicians has more to do with big pharma tilting science against the best interests of patients. I don't blame you wanting to spit out those pills. But you diagnosing your frustrated mother doesn't solve your problems, does it? Neither does the presumption that corporeal punishments and rigid discipline routines resolve the underlying cause, because current studies cite that it has the opposite effect. Sad to break this news to you, but you are self medicating and bragging about it on the internet.

I've seen a few things that may be useful to you in understanding the root causes & alternative treatment plans of ADHD. There is evidence to suggest that genetic damage to spermatazoa inflicted by an addicted dad leaves a legacy of repressed brain development to his progeny. Not just nurture, but a man made genetic damage. Poor nurture exacerbates problems. Perfect nurture (as if any parent could be perfect) in many cases struggles to overcome that man made genetic damage.
Alternative Therapies for ADD: Biofeedback for Children | ADDitude - ADD & LD Adults and Children
Treatments for ADHD: EEG Biofeedback: A Promising New Therapy for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

I find it peculiar that ADHD would present itself as if it were an epidemic in the 80's. It coincides with 70's & 80's drug use, addictions less confronted by society, and also massive changes in modern culture that have the net effect of divorcing human beigns from their salt of the earth roots. Kids don't have time to play, or be outside in fresh air to let their bodies and brains catch up with each other. They're herded into conformity with academics and too much outside noise bombarding them with sales pitches. Too much time with video games and not enough time socializing with human beings. How many kids in your generation, or in this generation can say they've ever built a fort together with their neighborhood playmates? Just a theory.
How am I self medicating? My kids take no medicine and the medicine I take is prescribed by a doc.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You seem to have missed that part where the mother took her child to a doctor who weaned her off the drug over a six month period.
I didn't miss it. Please see point #6. Psychiatry and psychology are woefully crude and the general population in all civilizations are grievously ignorant about mental health as a general rule, not the exception. These are the tools we have at this point in human evolution. Truly, it sucketh. But like old school treatments for polio before a vaccine for polio came around, we've got to do what we've got to do even if it's counterintuitive or seemingly draconian. It sucks that people in the most trouble wind up being lab rats for humanity towards cures and optimal treatment plans. It is what it is for cancer treatments too. It's what we have. That's all.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

Not using medications and psychotropic drugs is NOT self-medicating.

My son for example acted a bit ADHD because his grades at one point were awful, he didn't do his homework or if he did he would forget to turn it in. I even took him to a psychologist because it seemed he wouldn't pass 6th grade yet he was getting almost perfect scores on state standarized tests. The psychologist said he was a classic ADD, and gave me the name of two physicians who would prescribe the drugs he needed.

I decided to just go instead to the pediatrician I had used all along and he was against those drugs and against that diagnosis. He pointed out that the inconsistency between grades and the scores on standardized test looked more like boredom to him. He said that what was likely was that he was learning a lot on his own, so didn't have a learning disability but in class he was talking to the kid in front of him, watching the fly on the wall, thinking about his plans for after school, his next moves in his video games, paying attention to the bird outside the window, and listening to the two kids chatting behind him so it didn't look like he was paying attention to the teacher.

Sure enough -- no drugs at all were given. He still didn't do too well in school until the 10th grade when he began to get mostly A's. He worked his way through college and now has a job he loves and is talking about going for his doctorate.

One thing about the opinions of experts -- you can always find an equally or more qualified expert who will be 180 degrees away in his opinion from the other.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM

29,011 posts, read 9,636,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm not going to click on any stupid black helicopter conspiracy youtube video, been burnt a few times.

I'll repeat you cannot give a kid psych meds without parental consent.

Ask some of our many doctors on this forum. Any health care professional that tells you otherwise is either a liar or incompetent.
You can't handle the truth?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
How am I self medicating? My kids take no medicine and the medicine I take is prescribed by a doc.
You aren't.

One of my cousins and her husband were concerned about their son in school so they yanked him out and did homeschooling. Neither parent had ever gone to college. Homeschooling according to them took only about 2 hours every morning -- for 3 kids. They would read with the kids and do some math problems.

Then they would all work together, the father ran a farm and the kids would help.

At the time I thought it looked like a bad idea -- and how could two people with no college prepare kids for college? Well the kids didn't go to college but they all turned out fine, can get jobs, keep jobs. One has his own business and is fairly successful. They learned enough and they also learned a work ethic. They won't turn out to be Salk's Institute neuro-scientists like the guy in Colorado, but they are doing alright all the same.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
So... this medication you're on as an adult is working? But the underlying cause of what you are currently medicating is irrelevant back in the day when it was manifesting itself in your early childhood and undermining your intellectual and emotional growth? And somehow, you got from point a to point z, all by your mavericky self?

It's great your kids take no medicine. They aren't manifesting troubles like your mother saw in you as a child? Or did you find a cure for ADHD? Please do share that information if you have found a way. ADHD is a tough nut for parents trying to cope with a disorder that has a very wide spectrum of manifestation.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:14 PM

10,115 posts, read 3,199,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
This will only get worse under Obamacare. Soon many parents will be locked up...but this time held indefinitely without charges while their child is sodomized by the state.

Mussolini....Hitler....Obama.
Speaking of psych drugs--YOU sound like the one who needs a nice long inpatient visit at a local psych hospital to sort out meds.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:14 PM

17,557 posts, read 6,955,687 times
Quote:

Refusing To Put A Normal Child On Psych Drugs Results In Swat Teams and a TANK. This is in America! - YouTube

Unbelievable. Welcome to Amerika where parents have no rights to their children.
Whatever happened to a mother's right to choose?

We win another case for the people, and the nanny state lost another case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies