Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose the death penalty?
I'm an American and I oppose the death penalty 100% 35 40.70%
I'm an American and I support the death penalty for mass murder 5 5.81%
I'm an American and I support the death penalty for murder 16 18.60%
I'm an American and I support the death penalty for murder and sex crimes 22 25.58%
I'm an American and I think the death penalty should apply even for minor crimes 0 0%
I'm not American and I'm 100% against the death penalty 4 4.65%
I'm not American and I support the DP for mass murder 1 1.16%
I'm not American and I support the DP for murder 1 1.16%
I'm not American and I support the DP for murder and sex crimes 2 2.33%
I'm not American and I think the death penalty should be used even for minor crimes 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:02 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
The problem with the DP is that there are times that innocent people are given this penalty and once given it can not be reversed ever. So like the guy who Rick Perry put to death in Texas and it is now almost positive he did not set a fire that killed his kids, he is dead at the hands of the state and there is no way to fix it.

I am for the death penalty in cases where there is absolutely no doubt that a crime of murder has taken place with absolutely no mitigating circumstances. This makes it almost never that it can be applied. Rarely are things cut and dry. Even the tea baggers are running around like here in Florida on AM 1580 lovejoy [tin foil hat show] saying that the Colorado shooter was brain washed by the AG and Hillary, so why should he be put to death if you believe that he is just a pawn in a huge conspiracy? But I don't think Tea baggers think that far ahead.
No, I don't think "tea baggers" think that far ahead. But the Tea Party may.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
The problem with choosing mercy over justice is that it victimizes the victims.
Who's to say all victims want blood for blood?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
That's an intriguing question that I've never considered. I hope I have time to research some opinions to help develop my own in the near future.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I've researched and have thought about it.

If the victims have not been active in opposing the current expression of justice, then they have subordinated their desires to the current power; therefore, their wants are reflected in current law, and "not wanting blood for blood" would be irrational since it would be a contradiction and must be disregarded. However, if the victims have been active in opposing contemporary standards of justice, then their wants should be taken into consideration for sentencing.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
A murderer has deprived their victim of the rest of that victim's life. Likewise depriving the murderer of the rest of their own is not inherently malicious. I think being locked up for life with no chance of ever getting out would much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies