Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Sorry, but the country is not going back to the intolerance you seek. I know that must be hard for you to accept, but it is the truth.
Sorry, but intolerable behavior will not be tolerated ... and the signs of patience wearing thin are appearing everywhere. You can only expect to push society so far before society pushes back. In a shoving contest, you will lose big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:45 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Sorry, but intolerable behavior will not be tolerated ... and the signs of patience wearing thin are appearing everywhere. You can only expect to push society so far before society pushes back. In a shoving contest, you will lose big time.
So in order to not be "intolerable", homosexuals must tolerate discrimination, lies, and wrongful propaganda?

Sounds like a pretty crappy way to have a country run.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Clue: You do not represent society and your POV is not the majority POV, so any time you ubber conservatives want to try and start shoving, please do, it is past due your form of intolerance if finally dealt with in a permanent way.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
the owner most likely believes in a one man and one woman marriage. It is his right to refuse to make the cake.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
the owner most likely believes in a one man and one woman marriage. It is his right to refuse to make the cake.
As others have the right to voice theirs on his public statement

Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Let's use another example ... hypothetically speaking, a gay couple own a printing business ... and some conservative Christians come in and want signs an flyers made up denouncing gay marriage. Should they be forced to print those signs and flyers? Or should they have a right to decline participating in actions that they disagree with? And if they decline, should it be acceptable for the entire community to join together, spurred on by the local TV news, to drive them out of business, under the guise of religious discrimination?
Since you brought it up...

A family member of mine and his partner happen to own a printing business in a southern state. Outside of their family and friends, it is not widely known that they are domestic partners, although they do not try to hide it from the public. They were faced with this situation last year. What did they do? They held their noses, printed the materials, and collected their fee.

I happen to live in the front range. I have never been a customer of this cake shop, but I won't be going out of my way to give them any business. It is what it is.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Masterpiece Cake Shop Faces Boycott Call After Refusal to Make Gay Wedding Cakes | Video | TheBlaze.com

Wow...these people hate anything that doesn't accept their lifestyle...amazing.
I don't see the problem here. He doesn't want gay customers and they wont be doing business with him. I think its a pretty clear win for everyone, no?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I don't see the problem here. He doesn't want gay customers and they wont be doing business with him. I think its a pretty clear win for everyone, no?
Except for the law that prevent discrimination based upon sexual orientation (thus the baker technically breaking said law), yeah.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Except for the law that prevent discrimination based upon sexual orientation (thus the baker technically breaking said law), yeah.
For a court to decide?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
For a court to decide?
As stated previously, just because an illegal action is not taken to court doesn't mean that a violation didn't occur.

The law states that businesses cannot discriminate based upon sexual orientation. That is exactly what the baker did and stands by. If the baker is in the business of making wedding cakes (which he is), he cannot refuse said service just because he doesn't like their sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies