Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

D.C. students being paid for summer school

The District is paying 305 students with poor academic and behavioral records to attend summer school, The Washington Examiner has learned.

The rising ninth-graders are earning $5.25 an hour to participate in the "Summer Bridge" program, which targets students identified by D.C. Public Schools as less likely than their peers to graduate high school within four years.

The 95 students who voluntarily signed up for the summer school program will receive half of an elective credit. But to fill the 400-student session with at-risk students, DCPS reached out to the Department of Employment Services. More than 300 students flagged by DCPS and who had signed up for the Summer Youth Employment Program were told that school would be their jobs this summer.

Do you believe this? Are they going to ask for minimum wages next? So many problems with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:26 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
I actually have zero problem with this. If it causes one, just ONE student to make something of themselves instead of being a 40 year drain on my taxes as they whine endlessly about how they were disadvantaged and the dastardly 1% are stealing their money and it's not their fault that they make so little that they contribute NOTHING to the system via taxes but still claim that the most successful of us don't pay enough, it'll be a success in my eyes.

As the Documentary "Freakonomics" showed, however, the results don't really equal the ideal.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Liberals rewarding mediocrity, terrible message to send to the kids who are doing the right thing.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM

29,819 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Of all the ways the government wastes money, this is not the worst. In fact, if they had some sort of incentive based reward (gee, kinda like the private sector?) I would fully support such a measure. Even better... Take it outta the worst performing teachers paycheck

Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Liberals rewarding mediocrity, terrible message to send to the kids who are doing the right thing.
I'm sure kids in Greenwich, CT are going to underachieve because some kids in Washington DC, who are likely poor-as-dirt, are getting five bucks an hour to go to summer school.

Give me a break.

Why do Conservatives insist on constantly punishing the poor-- and don't care a lick about incetivizing poor children.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
The parents should be paying $ 5.25 an hour to the school district to send the kids to summer school. Or maybe make it sweat equity. The kids go to school three hours, get paid, and then spend three hours picking up trash or doing cleaning to earn the money.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Well I agree with one parent comment in that article..will the kids expect to be paid for attending school during the school year.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:54 PM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Of all the ways the government wastes money, this is not the worst. In fact, if they had some sort of incentive based reward (gee, kinda like the private sector?) I would fully support such a measure. Even better... Take it outta the worst performing teachers paycheck
According to the article, they tried that a few years back and grades overall did not improve significantly.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm sure kids in Greenwich, CT are going to underachieve because some kids in Washington DC, who are likely poor-as-dirt, are getting five bucks an hour to go to summer school.

Give me a break.

Why do Conservatives insist on constantly punishing the poor-- and don't care a lick about incetivizing poor children.
Wow so you only think good kids exist in Greenwich? I actually had in mind the classmates of these "at risk" kids who are doing the right thing and aren't getting paid.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
D.C. students being paid for summer school

The District is paying 305 students with poor academic and behavioral records to attend summer school, The Washington Examiner has learned.

The rising ninth-graders are earning $5.25 an hour to participate in the "Summer Bridge" program, which targets students identified by D.C. Public Schools as less likely than their peers to graduate high school within four years.

The 95 students who voluntarily signed up for the summer school program will receive half of an elective credit. But to fill the 400-student session with at-risk students, DCPS reached out to the Department of Employment Services. More than 300 students flagged by DCPS and who had signed up for the Summer Youth Employment Program were told that school would be their jobs this summer.

Do you believe this? Are they going to ask for minimum wages next? So many problems with this.
Paying students to go to summer school is not a new idea. My district tried it in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies