Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
China has a lot of people that don't speak English either and they are doing just fine. Just sayin' . . .
The Chinese do not agree with you:

China Pushes English Language - ABC News

Unfortunately the Mexicans (who make up the vast majority of illegals) are often far too lazy and arrogant to follow suit! The entire rest of the world is learning English. Meanwhile the hispanic lobby whines that Americans don't speak Spanish to cater to illegals who live here and can't be bothered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 PM

327 posts, read 320,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Example: I went to McDonalds in Queens NYC yesterday and the man behind the counter spoke very little English and could not understand my order, which was very simple. It took us too long to get him to understand. He had the same problem with the rest of the customers behind us and the line grew longer and longer but no one else came out to help. Finally, we noticed that the people in line got frustrated and started to leave. A loss to productivity and revenue and frustration for everyone else. In NYC I see so many examples of people with very little understanding of English being put in customer service jobs and everyone getting frustrated and less getting done in a timely manner. This rarely happens in my hometown of Erie PA.
I just had a similar experience here in Massachusetts. I told the cashier what I wanted but she barely spoke English. I started getting frustrated. I also could barely understand her. To top it off not one English speaking. American worked there.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 PM

327 posts, read 320,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
What I find of interest is how history repeats itself.

How so? Many posters are of the same opinion that Hispanics or <fill in the blank current immigrant group> are not assimilating or assimilating too slowly as evident by the lack of English skills.

Putting aside the question of those who are here illegally or legally since it appears some don't necessarily distinguish between the two when it comes to Hispanics...

Lets do some research that is easily available on the internet.

1) Which immigrant group from the past had over 700 < guess the immigrant group> language newspapers at the start of WWI?

2) When did immigration for this immigrant group peak? <1820,1870, 1914>

Ready to guess?

Polish?

French?

Italian?

German?

Irish?

See below for the answer:

10 Myths About Immigration | Teaching Tolerance

Here's another source independent of the first (for those that dislike the Teaching Tolerance website):

http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/germ-ww1.ht

Whats the point? Think of it...although immigration from that country had peaked decades earlier there were still more than 700 newspapers in that language published at the beginning of 1914. Notice this group held on closely to its national identity. However, eventually they assimilated.

And, as noted by the above post the US born children of Hispanics do speak English.

Therefore, I wouldn't worry so much...there is a reason America is referred to as a "graveyard of languages." Eventually the cultural differences die out as well

The general population of that time also were uneasy about many of the immigrant groups of that era.

As the Borg were fond of saying, "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated." (sorry for those who aren't Star Trek fans...if I have to explain you wouldn't understand).
There are far too many that do not speak English and the ones that do, do not speak it well like the natives.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:59 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,443 times
English is not the official language of the United States, FWIW. There is no law that says America's official language is English.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:02 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
English is not the official language of the United States, FWIW. There is no law that says America's official language is English.
You're absolutely right, and I personally hope that English is never recognized as the official language of our country. As I see it, the English language is nothing more than a sort of residual "leftover" from the colonial era, and it's quite unfortunate that our revolutionaries weren't radical enough during the post-revolutionary period to pursue a different linguistic make-up for the country.

Call me crazy, but the more British influences that could've been eliminated would have been all the better for the U.S. in the long-run. Just my opinion, of course...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
So what is your point? English is our de facto national language and there is no denying that. If I moved to another country I would respect their langauge and learn it. I would not demand that everything be in English to accomodate me.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,015 times
Such an idiotic thread, America has always had a ton of people who don't speak English, in the past it was Germans, Italians and Chinese, now it's Latinos. Pretty much everyone speaks English by the 2nd generation and most immigrants learn English within 10 years, more right wing crybabying about something they know nothing about

Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
I havent really read through, but I would like to point out Im sick of going to fast food restaurants and everyone who works there is hispanic and can barely speak english. Even in towns that are over 90% white.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Such an idiotic thread, America has always had a ton of people who don't speak English, in the past it was Germans, Italians and Chinese, now it's Latinos. Pretty much everyone speaks English by the 2nd generation and most immigrants learn English within 10 years, more right wing crybabying about something they know nothing about
Not these days. Too many illegals, and too many immigrants who love Mexico, more than the country they live in. And now we are pandering to them even more with "Press 1 for english, press 2 for spanish.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Funny, I live in a 90% hispanic neighborhood, and only know a few words of Spanish myself. Somehow, miraculously, I literally never experience the difficulties that some of you people describe here with these folks who supposedly refuse to learn/speak english. I have literally never walked into a Wal-Mart, a McDonalds, or a Home Depot and encountered an employee (especially one who deals with the public) who didn't speak at least passable, conversational English. Never once.
I wonder why my experience is so different from yours, especially when you consider the demographics of my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies