Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My kids are much more likely to encounter a rattlesnake than a gun. In fact, it's relatively common to see rattlesnakes around here. But unlike the prairie rattlers that occasionally make their way into our yard, we've never found a gun lying in the grass outside our back door, nor has a thug shown up at our front door brandishing one. Just sayin'.
That is great for you and your family but a lot of Americans live in areas (usually liberal urban areas) where thugs roam day and night looking for potential victims. Thus the need for 24/7 personal protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I am far from being anti-gun, I keep 2 loaded in my cash box but I also know how to use just about anything around me in such a situation and I am militery trained as well as parent trained but my wife hates guns but she can use then but she doesn't know how to use just about anything for a weapon while my kids do. 911 is a joke.

911 is a Joke Duran Duran LIVE - YouTube

Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
How likely is that scenario? Why would 5 or 6 robbers burst into your house in the middle of the night? If that many "robbers" are bursting into your house what do you have? Drugs? a personal vault full of cash that somebody knows about?

This has nothing to do with being anti-gun but being paranoid. Outside of the military, cops or people who are professionaly trained most people who shoot others are most likely somebody who they know personally.
Maybe you live in a nice house and your s.o. likes to divulge too much information on Facebook and Twitter.

Who knows?

The point is either protect your family or teach them how to hide real well...

Old 08-03-2012, 12:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
That is great for you and your family but a lot of Americans live in areas (usually liberal urban areas) where thugs roam day and night looking for potential victims. Thus the need for 24/7 personal protection.
And they do occasionally show up in the 'burbs, but some basic security measures, like keeping doors locked, owning a large, noisy dog, and working with law enforcement agencies to keep criminals out of our neighborhoods works fairly well to minimize risks. The only violent home invasion of which I'm aware in my suburban area involved criminals hired by an estranged husband to murder his wife, who had moved in with family members in the midst of a nasty divorce. Gee, I can only imagine why she no longer wanted to be married to him!

As I said, you are welcome to have any weapon you wish, within the bounds of the law, to help you feel secure in your environment. I am not standing in your way.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,673 times
Quote:
You are anti-gun, there are several small kids in your home, in the middle of the night five or six robbers burst into your home.

You call 911 but it will be 15 minutes until the police arrive.

Now what do you think of "only the police and army should have guns"?
I have to say this fear that runs through some people. Well, in the incredibly small chance that my home were to be invaded while my family was there, why would me getting a gun and having a shoot out be any less dangerous than not having a gun and attempting to get out of the house or using myself as a distraction so my family could escape?

Since we are going all fantasy shootout mode, Why couldn't disarm the criminals by hiding in the shadows like a ninja and taking them out one by one?

Why couldn't I install secret escape routes out of the house?

Why couldn't I install a panic room?

Why couldn't I have someone build a robot who would distract the criminals while we escaped?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
How likely is that scenario? Why would 5 or 6 robbers burst into your house in the middle of the night? If that many "robbers" are bursting into your house what do you have?
Home invasions, looking for property they can steal to feed their habits, quite commonly go in groups of 4 / 5. Nothing to do with drugs.

A property occupant needs to be prepared to defend against these types of people / intruders.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,119 times
Own a dog trained by someone that provides dogs to police forces. Own as fine of a home, security alarm system as you can, put up security cams, colored, infrared with nightvision, buying them on sale, online and buy cams that see at LEAST 150ft. daytime and half of that or a bit more at night.

Own guns with lasers, and no they are not as expensive as you may think.

Call the cops with gun in hand, and with every intention/hope of not having to use that gun, while you are prepared to shoot if you need to, without hesitation.

If you aren't an atheist, lean on God, and with this fine recipe you will be fine, but the perps won't, most likely.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,411 times
Quote:
You are anti-gun, there are several small kids in your home, in the middle of the night five or six robbers burst into your home.

You call 911 but it will be 15 minutes until the police arrive.

Now what do you think of "only the police and army should have guns"?
You can bust some knees with those retractable police batons. Also, why not a tranq gun?? Knock the ***** out.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Home invasions, looking for property they can steal to feed their habits, quite commonly go in groups of 4 / 5. Nothing to do with drugs.

A property occupant needs to be prepared to defend against these types of people / intruders.
Habits? But nothing to do with drugs? What kind of habits are we talking about? Biting their fingernails? Smoking cigarettes?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 AM

441 posts, read 501,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Habits? But nothing to do with drugs? What kind of habits are we talking about? Biting their fingernails? Smoking cigarettes?
With the price of cigarettes sky-rocketting.. it is only a question of time before smokers arm themselves to attack defenseless (i.e. AK-47-less) homeowners, to rifle through their kitchen drawers to see if an old, crushed pack of **** is lying around anywhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies