Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 AM

16 posts, read 45,475 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but I'm going to put it bluntly. I'm gay. I didn't choose to be so. Any more than heterosexual (I don't know about bisexual) people chose to be sexually aroused by the opposite sex.

Note - disregarding family issues and gay marriage and all that jazz. Meaning no talk about Dawn Stefanowicz and her book about being raised by a father who married to a woman but later broke the marriage and went on a promiscuous parenthood with other men, Jerry Sandusky of Penn State and his abuse of gay boys, Obama and his support of gay marriage, Chick-Fil-A and their cry out against gay marriage, the Boy Scouts of America and their ban on gay boy scouts joining the organization, the substantive data in support of homosexual men having higher rates of HIV/AIDS, not even the British football player who became gay after having a stroke, no none of that please. I'm tired of it.

I'm talking about true gay hate.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows any graphs/charts/data that could tell me which age group (actually any group really, as long it's inclusive), particularly in the USA, hates/discriminates against homosexual people the most and whether it's feasible to just "wait it out" 10-20 years later when all the discriminators just die off. Is it the Baby Boomers? People who witnessed the gay AIDS epidemic in the 80s? Or is gay discrimination truly ageless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
This chart is from a Gallup poll this year.

Only 46% of those 55 and older consider being gay to be morally acceptable, vs 55% for 35-54 and 65% for 18-34.

In general the older you are the less likely you will find it acceptable, which makes sense since the older people grew up in a different time where it was not accepted at all and they probably don't even know anyone gay.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:02 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Only 46% of those 55 and older consider being gay to be morally acceptable, vs 55% for 35-54 and 65% for 18-34.

In general the older you are the less likely you will find it acceptable, which makes sense since the older people grew up in a different time where it was not accepted at all and they probably don't even know anyone gay.
Good find on the data and i'd consider your interpretation of the stats to be spot on. Good post.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,371 times
moral...

mor·al   [mawr-uhl, mor-] Show IPA
adjective
of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.
founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.
capable of conforming to the rules of right conduct: a moral being.
conforming to the rules of right conduct ( opposed to immoral): a moral man.

How can homosexuality be a conformance to the rules of right sexual conduct in gender and at the same time, grant authorization of a moral individual with above definition ?

Last edited by stargazzer; 08-02-2012 at 04:28 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
There is no age group that hates homosexuals, but the overwhelming majority of people in every age group disapprove of homosexual activity, as they should. Quite simply, homosexual behavior is wrong.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jushtfinisht View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm going to put it bluntly. I'm gay. I didn't choose to be so. Any more than heterosexual (I don't know about bisexual) people chose to be sexually aroused by the opposite sex.

Note - disregarding family issues and gay marriage and all that jazz. Meaning no talk about Dawn Stefanowicz and her book about being raised by a father who married to a woman but later broke the marriage and went on a promiscuous parenthood with other men, Jerry Sandusky of Penn State and his abuse of gay boys, Obama and his support of gay marriage, Chick-Fil-A and their cry out against gay marriage, the Boy Scouts of America and their ban on gay boy scouts joining the organization, the substantive data in support of homosexual men having higher rates of HIV/AIDS, not even the British football player who became gay after having a stroke, no none of that please. I'm tired of it.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows any graphs/charts/data that could tell me which age group (actually any group really, as long it's inclusive), particularly in the USA, hates/discriminates against homosexual people the most and whether it's feasible to just "wait it out" 10-20 years later when all the discriminators just die off. Is it the Baby Boomers? People who witnessed the gay AIDS epidemic in the 80s? Or is gay discrimination truly ageless?
I don't have a graph but I think it's older redneck/senile men (redneck including black rednecks and hispanic rednecks) and misinterpreters of Jesus' words. The younger people I've heard express anything about sexual orientation are pro-same sex marriage and non-haters. I don't know about the red states, they are like alien cultures. Overall though It's just a matter of time.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There is no age group that hates homosexuals, but the overwhelming majority of people in every age group disapprove of homosexual activity, as they should. Quite simply, homosexual behavior is wrong.
I believe you to be wrong about that... "I'll show you my data if you'll show me yours". Your turn dearie

The 2007 Pew Global Attitudes Project: "Should homosexuality be accepted by society?"

Country Yes No

Anglo-America
Canada 70% 21%
United States 49% 41%

Latin America
Argentina 72% 21%
Brazil 65% 30%
Chile 64% 31%
Mexico 60% 31%
Peru 51% 43%
Venezuela 47% 50%
Bolivia 44% 49%

Western Europe

Sweden 86% 9%
France 83% 17%
Britain 71% 21%

Central Europe

Czech Republic 83% 16%
Germany 81% 17%
Slovakia 66% 29%
Poland 45% 41%

Eastern Europe

Russia 20% 64%
Ukraine 19% 69%
Bulgaria 39% 38%

Southern Europe

Spain 82% 9%
Italy 65% 23%

Middle East

Turkey 14% 57%
Israel 38% 50%
Lebanon 18% 79%
Palestinian ter. 9% 58%

Asia
Philippines 64% 33%
Japan 50% 29%
South Korea 18% 77%
China 17% 69%

Africa
South Africa 28% 64%
Ivory Coast 11% 89%
Ghana 4% 94%
Tanzania 3% 95%

Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jushtfinisht View Post
WHOA...Baby Boomer here and NOT a gay hater! I don't think you should look towards age groups for discrimination with regard to gays..try different areas of the USA, you will probably find a different level of discrimination in different areas. Why wait it out until, as you say, all us Baby Boomers die...is that what you meant? WOW..talk about being judgmental. Here's some news for you..gay guys were around long before you decided to be gay openly. Back in "the day" the gay people just didn't talk about it. Back in the day, men and women were the only ones who got married. Last weekend, my son and his wife went to a gay wedding..two girls. BIG DEAL...who cares?? Truth be told, no one cares what you or any other gay person does behind closed doors. People are far too busy trying to find jobs, keep jobs and take care of the families..gay or straight families there is just too much going on right now for anyone to care what your sexual preference is. Get over it...come on out...all the way out...no one cares!!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM

16 posts, read 45,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
moral...

How can homosexuality be a conformance to the rules of right sexual conduct in gender and at the same time, grant authorization of a moral individual with above definition ?
And who are you to tell us what "right sexual conduct" is? Please don't bring your religion on us. Everybody has religious freedom in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
The 2007 Pew Global Attitudes Project: "Should homosexuality be accepted by society?"
I didn't expect South Korea to be so non-accepting of homosexuality with all their K-Pop pop culture nowadays.... But otherwise, the data seems to make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
WHOA...Baby Boomer here and NOT a gay hater! I don't think you should look towards age groups for discrimination with regard to gays..try different areas of the USA, you will probably find a different level of discrimination in different areas. Why wait it out until, as you say, all us Baby Boomers die...is that what you meant? WOW..talk about being judgmental. Here's some news for you..gay guys were around long before you decided to be gay openly. Back in "the day" the gay people just didn't talk about it. Back in the day, men and women were the only ones who got married. Last weekend, my son and his wife went to a gay wedding..two girls. BIG DEAL...who cares?? Truth be told, no one cares what you or any other gay person does behind closed doors. People are far too busy trying to find jobs, keep jobs and take care of the families..gay or straight families there is just too much going on right now for anyone to care what your sexual preference is. Get over it...come on out...all the way out...no one cares!!
I'm sorry, I guess I am judgmental. But about the "no one cares what you or any other gay person does behind closed doors?" Really, no one cares? How do you explain gay hate? And who says I'm out of the closet yet? Who says I'm just using an anonymous name and telling that I am gay to anonymous people who will never meet me in real life? How about that?

Saying "I don't care what anyone does in their bed" is a cop-out and is indicative of a bigger issue they have with gay people. That's like saying I don't want to deal with drug trafficking so I say "Bad things will always happen in the world." That's like saying I don't care about litterers so I say "Oh, someone will pick it up." That's like thinking people with bipolar disorder are manic-depressive because it's their personality trait so I say "Oh, bipolar people need to learn to not be rude."

"No one cares?" You're gay. We are still in a world where gay issues are an issue. It's happening right now. Don't shrug it off.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Which age group hates homosexuals the most?

I think it is more they self loathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies