Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
If the government was able to fake the original moon landings wouldn't they also be able to fake the recent photographic evidence of the landings?
You mean the Chinese govt, the japanese, the Russians or the United States?

It's been confirmed by numerous other nations, many of which had somewhat hostile relations with us (USSR during cold war?). So either this is the greatest conspiracy of all time involving tens of thousands of people and numerous foreign governments or wait for it....we really landed there.

Remember, we couldn't even keep our nuke technology secret, wikileaks, etc etc etc....yet somehow we have kept the fake moon landings secret for 40 years and the Russians, Chinese and most of the other major world powers are in on it with us. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

It's been confirmed by numerous other nations, many of which had somewhat hostile relations with us (USSR during cold war?). So either this is the greatest conspiracy of all time involving tens of thousands of people and numerous foreign governments or wait for it....we really landed there.

Remember, we couldn't even keep our nuke technology secret, wikileaks, etc etc etc....yet somehow we have kept the fake moon landings secret for 40 years and the Russians, Chinese and most of the other major world powers are in on it with us. LOL.
I'm fascinated by the psychology behind conspiracy theorists. Most of them seem to center around the theme of US Goverment = EVIL. Now I consider myself a small government libertarian, but I don't see govt bogeymen under my bed.

I just wonder what makes them tick....

Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
subsound posted a pretty good article awhile back about the (usually mild) psychological problems that drive the conspiracy theorist types to view any event from that same angle, I'll see if can dig it up

Old 08-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I'm fascinated by the psychology behind conspiracy theorists. Most of them seem to center around the theme of US Goverment = EVIL. Now I consider myself a small government libertarian, but I don't see govt bogeymen under my bed.

Google around and you will find a lot of information it depends just HOW conspiracy involved they are as there is a wide range from speculation over JFK (not crazy) up to the "we didn't land on the moon" types and the truly nuts "chemtrail" types and of course much much crazier.

In some cases it's mental illness etc. causing paranoia and delusions.

I other cases some of them are dissatissfied with life and view it as unfair and see sinister forces as to why their life and the world is jacked up. Basically an excuse.

Others feel empowered by being in on "the truth" and it gives them a sense of superiority over the "sheeple".

I'm sure I'm hacking up some of the explanations, you can google around the web and read better written stuff.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
I other cases some of them are dissatissfied with life and view it as unfair and see sinister forces as to why their life and the world is jacked up. Basically an excuse.

Others feel empowered by being in on "the truth" and it gives them a sense of superiority over the "sheeple".
a lot of it comes down to cognitive dissonance, the brain's ability to accept information that that is conducive with our belief and ignore or reject information that contradicts that belief. we all have it to varying degrees but...... obviously in cases like this we're seeing extreme examples.

it's also one of the reasons i've been fascinated by the birther movement.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
a lot of it comes down to cognitive dissonance, the brain's ability to accept information that that is conducive with our belief and ignore or reject information that contradicts that belief. we all have it to varying degrees but...... obviously in cases like this we're seeing extreme examples.

it's also one of the reasons i've been fascinated by the birther movement.
Yep. We have several posters here on both sides of the political spectrum that are A+ examples of this.

I think in some cases it's early onset dementia. (not joking)

Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:

Maybe that explains the billions of dollars in foreign aid we have given those countries and the free trade policies that have created a massive boom in places like China.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Maybe that explains the billions of dollars in foreign aid we have given those countries.....
china and japan?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
china and japan?
Did we allow massive amounts of imports from those two countries prior to the "moon landing"?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
subsound posted a pretty good article awhile back about the (usually mild) psychological problems that drive the conspiracy theorist types to view any event from that same angle, I'll see if can dig it up

So by your logic, the gov't is trustworthy, and those questioning the news fed to us, are the dangerous extremists. That means you trust lawyers, media and politicians more than those attempting to verify.
America is perhaps the first nation founded on distrust of government. Checks and balances were included in the Constitution because of the danger of vesting too much power in any one man or one branch of government.
Excessive trust in government breeds attention deficits. People assume they do not need to keep an eye on government and politicians because government is no threat to them — because their government tells them so. Ignorance combined with blind trust produces citizens pliable for practically any purpose the ruler decrees.
When people blindly assume that their leaders are trustworthy, the biggest liars win. To believe their lies almost guarantees submission
The Folly of Blindly Trusting the Government by James Bovard

As for this moon landing, it still hasn't peaked my interest, so I am done with this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies