Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,294,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
work ethic and calculus instead of hip hop and attitude
shirt and tie instead of pants down and 9mm
just guessing

And you guessed wrong! Every ethnic group does exactly what you tried to allude something that only blacks do. I wonder why that is so?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The truth is that the ones saying this don't really believe it themselves. The whole purpose is to play one racial group against the other because as quiet as its kept most Whites don't like Asians either. They use the myth of the "model minority" as a backhanded compliment to Asians and as a means to insult Blacks. Nothing more, nothing less.

This adoration of all things Asian is phony. Whites do not truly applaud Asian success or their culture. I used to live in the San Gabriel Valley and had/have many friends in the area (Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, San Gabriel, Arcadia, etc) in California. This is a fairly wealthy area which is now heavily Asian but used to be predominantly White. And all one has to do is be in the company of the long time White residents (who have had a few glasses of merlot or whatever) and they will start spewing what they really think about Asians.

I concurr

Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I remember reading about slavery and that the Christian preachers during that time would emphasize obedience so the y could live an afterlife in heaven to justify the harsh life the slaves were enduring.
I think that's still true to some degree,and that's why a large number of blacks are super religious Christians.

Sadly, it was one of the methods of keeping them passive. The slave owners may have been racist and mean but they were not completely stupid. The slaves started to outnumber the whites at almost 3 to 1 and the number was growing, it was just a matter of time that they would have revolted and took over. So it would help to keep them thinking biblical passages such as "Vengence is mine said the Lord" and one should always "turn the other cheek"

Old 08-07-2012, 11:09 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,536,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Because what they went through and what the blacks of today go through there is no comparision, but neverless it still exist. Like I mentioned before the black with the most powerful position in the world still has to deal with racism. can you point out what other group of people that this still happens to?
White people suffer racism from blacks.

White people suffer racism from Latinos.

Latinos suffer racism from blacks.

Asians suffer racism from blacks.

Blacks suffer THE WORST racism from other blacks.

Why do bleeding heart liberals believe that blacks are the only people who have suffered racism?

Where did that myth come from?

And it is strange how Jews were nearly wiped out by a madman's army and the Japanese suffered TWO nuclear bombings (plus the destruction of Tokyo) but I never hear Jews or the Japanese imply that they can't succeed because of past atrocities.

Why is that?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,243,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
I didn't read it, but I am looking at the source and thinking its a tenured leftie doing anything to destroy the minority model. Anything to make more unsubstantiated racism claims.
All university professors aren't "tenured lefties." Miranda McGowan and James Lindgren are actually part of the "New Legal Realism" (NLR) movement in legal philosophy. In a nutshell, they're legal scholars masquerading as "social scientists." In legal studies, the "tenured lefties" tend to subscribe to "critical race theory" (CRT).

If one takes the time to carefully read McGowan's and Lindgren's "study", one will find that it's an interesting "potshot" at "Asian critical scholars" (adherents of CRT who happen to be of Asian ancestry) who critique the "model minority myth." When it comes to defining and explaining the history of the "model minority myth", McGowan and Lindgren excel. Unfortunately, since they aren't social scientists, their analysis of the data gathered from the subjects that participated in the survey that they used (the "General Social Survey" conducted by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago) fails to account for "response bias" and falsification. Furthermore, McGowan and Lindgren make the common mistake of viewing "Asian Americans" as a monolithic group. There are big differences between fifth-generation Japanese Americans from Hawaiʻi and folks that immigrated to the continental United States from Southeast Asia during the 1970s and 1980s.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,780,095 times
Quote:
I think that you answered you own question. Plus many Asian Americans own their own businesses.
They own and usually ueach other. Tell me how many white people work in Chinese restaurants.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I've never seen a homeless Latino person either.
We have homeless people of all stripes.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The truth is that the ones saying this don't really believe it themselves. The whole purpose is to play one racial group against the other because as quiet as its kept most Whites don't like Asians either. They use the myth of the "model minority" as a backhanded compliment to Asians and as a means to insult Blacks. Nothing more, nothing less.

This adoration of all things Asian is phony. Whites do not truly applaud Asian success or their culture. I used to live in the San Gabriel Valley and had/have many friends in the area (Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, San Gabriel, Arcadia, etc) in California. This is a fairly wealthy area which is now heavily Asian but used to be predominantly White. And all one has to do is be in the company of the long time White residents (who have had a few glasses of merlot or whatever) and they will start spewing what they really think about Asians.
Bingo!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Another point. Asia is pretty far from the US. So you need to have the resources to get here. A plane ticket is not cheap, and that is a really long boat ride.

The Asians coming to the US are the best and brightest and the most well-educated. The people who meet this description tend to do well no matter where they go.

Mexico and Central America are much closer, and cheaper to travel from, so we tend to get poorer immigrants. If you were upper class in Mexico, why would you leave?

Also, the best-educated immigrant group in the US are Africans.
Survey: Nigerians Most Educated in the U.S. | News | BET

Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,243,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
White people suffer racism from blacks.

White people suffer racism from Latinos.

Latinos suffer racism from blacks.

Asians suffer racism from blacks.

Blacks suffer THE WORST racism from other blacks.

Why do bleeding heart liberals believe that blacks are the only people who have suffered racism?

Where did that myth come from?
This would be more convincing if it were backed up by empirical or at least anecdotal evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
And it is strange how Jews were nearly wiped out by a madman's army and the Japanese suffered TWO nuclear bombings (plus the destruction of Tokyo) but I never hear Jews or the Japanese imply that they can't succeed because of past atrocities.

Why is that?
The Holocaust lasted for about a dozen years (1933-1945). The nuclear bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima and widespread "carpet-bombing" of Tokyo occurred during the last nine months of World War II. Officially, the enslavement of Africans and many of their descendants on the North American continent occurred over a period of approximately 246 years (1619-1865). Now, one could discuss the founding of the State of Israel and the Occupation of Japan, and how Israel and Japan grew to be world powers within 25 years after World War II because of the assistance and intervention of the United States and other countries. It's only been approximately 147 years since the passage of the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which made slavery illegal. "Jim Crow" laws that mandated segregation and discrimination against black folks were on the books until 1965. Considering that the ancestors of many African Americans were enslaved over a period of 246 years, it might take at least another 99 years or so to mitigate its impact. Hopefully, by 2111 folks will no longer be lauded for being the "first black" billionaire, U.S. President, senator, governor, mayor, Olympics gymnastics champion, nuclear physicist, neurosurgeon, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.