Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,546,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think asians often have stable family oriented lifestyles, as shown by the statistics:

Children in single-parent families by race - Data Across States - KIDS COUNT Data Center

it certainly is something to consider when you are analyzing why one group advances faster than another statistically.

i think that unemployment is the primary cause of the african american single family problem here in america. the thing that separates asian american from african american is the african american failure in finding suffient self employment opportunity within theirs own community. asian american have had theirs own little niche - to buffer high employment away from theirs community by family and insular neighborhood employment practices. when asian could not find employment in the broader society at large they could always fall back to theirs own race for common employment opportunities.

Last edited by Howest2008; 08-08-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,539,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
i think that unemployment is the primary cause of the african american single family problem here in america. the thing that separates asian american from african american is the african american failure in finding suffient self employment opportunity within theirs own community. asian american have had theirs own little niche - to buffer high employment away from theirs community by family and insular neighborhood employment practices. when asian could not find employment in the broader society at large they could always fall back to theirs own race for common employment opportunities.
The number one problem in the African-American community is out-of-wedlock children and homes where a woman must raise two or three kids while trying to hold down one or more jobs. This is an increasing problem in white communities too. Pure irresponsibility all around.

The number two problem, unique to African-Americans as far as I can tell, is the extremely hostile attitude toward those within the community who "talk white" or do other "white" things such as take AP high school classes and other so-called nerdy pursuits.

The anti-geek bullying occurs in all ethnic groups but I've witnessed a particularly intense form of it in the AA community. (Look at how Gabby Douglas was treated just because of her hair!!)

Whitlock: The root of Gabby's hair critics

Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 AM

1,118 posts, read 1,240,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The truth is that the ones saying this don't really believe it themselves. The whole purpose is to play one racial group against the other because as quiet as its kept most Whites don't like Asians either. They use the myth of the "model minority" as a backhanded compliment to Asians and as a means to insult Blacks. Nothing more, nothing less.

This adoration of all things Asian is phony. Whites do not truly applaud Asian success or their culture. I used to live in the San Gabriel Valley and had/have many friends in the area (Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, San Gabriel, Arcadia, etc) in California. This is a fairly wealthy area which is now heavily Asian but used to be predominantly White. And all one has to do is be in the company of the long time White residents (who have had a few glasses of merlot or whatever) and they will start spewing what they really think about Asians.
This is one of the more disgusting posts I've read on this site. I seriously doubt you really heard white people in Pasadena spewing anti-Asian insults after "a few glasses of merlot". More likely you made that story up to further your hateful, racist, agenda. You sound bitter and jealous of whites and Asians. And like a petulant child you want to stir up the pot with poisonous lies.
Talk to a few school teachers about what a pleasure it is to have Asians in the classroom. That's where future success or future unemployment is being determined.
Yes Asians are a "model minority". That's not an insult, it is the obvious truth to anyone with eyes and ears.
A model is something to be replicated. Any blacks looking for a solution to their woes would be wise to watch and learn from this model.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,500,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
This is one of the more disgusting posts I've read on this site. I seriously doubt you really heard white people in Pasadena spewing anti-Asian insults after "a few glasses of merlot". More likely you made that story up to further your hateful, racist, agenda. You sound bitter and jealous of whites and Asians. And like a petulant child you want to stir up the pot with poisonous lies.
Talk to a few school teachers about what a pleasure it is to have Asians in the classroom. That's where future success or future unemployment is being determined.
Yes Asians are a "model minority". That's not an insult, it is the obvious truth to anyone with eyes and ears.
A model is something to be replicated. Any blacks looking for a solution to their woes would be wise to watch and learn from this model.
Right, because we all know that White people NEVER say anything negative about Asians

And the label "model minority" is a backhanded compliment meaning to suggest that Asians "know their place". The fact remains that White people love that Asians have not been vocal about things such as being trapped on the underside of the glass ceiling in the corporate world and haven't grasped for more political representation....and that is what really makes them "model minorities".

The reality is that White Americans view Asian Americans "marginally" as a group; non-threatening. Asian men are emasculated in our culture while Asian women are narrowly defined as servile geishas. And yes, I have heard my fair share of bigoted comments about Asians from White people, particularly from long time residents in the SGV (the Pasadena area). Many Whites openly hate that San Marino (a wealthy enclave) has become predominantly Asian.

APA Neighborhood San Marino Gets Papered with White Separatist Literature | Discrimination | 8Asians.com

UCLA Student racist rant on Asians in the Library for phoning Tsunami victims in Japan - YouTube

Rosie O'Donnell ching chong - YouTube

Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Good point about the teachers enjoying the peace and quiet of an Asian student body.

Years ago, a friend's fiancee (who was formally a hardcore liberal) was heartbroken less than a year after she was transferred from a middle school that had a ~30% Asian (Viet, Laotian, Burmese) student body to one with a more "urban" flavor (~65%).

At first she felt it would give her an opportunity to do her part for the greater social sphere and help teach for the more "challenging" populations in the community but after less than half of a school year she was totally burned out and cynical. I couldn't imagine going through that gauntlet for 25 years!!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,468,616 times
I have no need to read this entire thread but I do think it is always funny how it always comes down to insulting black people in general.

Now everyone has been persecuted in the history of human civilization, but we are talking specifically about the US.
Yes, Asians have been straight sh*tted on, but not like black folk. I think it is funny how people try to pass the stupid idea that being cheap labor is somehow worse than slavery. But, lets not have facts cloud our opinions, lol.

Also, people forget to mention the fact that most of the immigrants screened to legally enter this country are basically the cream of the crop. I mean as much as people on C-D like to bash black folk, they never mention that African Immigrants outperform Asian ones in the US. Yep. You will hardly see mass legal immigration from Africa, Asia, or Europe where we take in their dregs of society. I mean if China and India started sending their criminal and uneducated masses here, opinions would change like a heartbeat. Usually when you send over your best and brightest, views will get distorted.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I have no need to read this entire thread but I do think it is always funny how it always comes down to insulting black people in general.

Now everyone has been persecuted in the history of human civilization, but we are talking specifically about the US.
Yes, Asians have been straight sh*tted on, but not like black folk. I think it is funny how people try to pass the stupid idea that being cheap labor is somehow worse than slavery. But, lets not have facts cloud our opinions, lol.

Also, people forget to mention the fact that most of the immigrants screened to legally enter this country are basically the cream of the crop. I mean as much as people on C-D like to bash black folk, they never mention that African Immigrants outperform Asian ones in the US. Yep. You will hardly see mass legal immigration from Africa, Asia, or Europe where we take in their dregs of society. I mean if China and India started sending their criminal and uneducated masses here, opinions would change like a heartbeat. Usually when you send over your best and brightest, views will get distorted.
Yeah, no need to read what has been posted before blasting out blanket statements.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,500,283 times
I find it quite interesting that the same people who are horrified at the thought of someone revealing what White people say negatively about Asians (on the sly) have no problem saying blatantly nasty things themselves about another racial group. Hypocrisy at its finest. While it is socially acceptable to publicly vilify black people, they chose to vilify Asians under the cloak of privacy among their own circles.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:24 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,108,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post

I agree with you that recent African immigrants tend to be extremely hard workers. My bf grew up in Naples, FL and he told me that down there, African immigrants, particularly the Haitian Americans get greatly offended when anyone tries to consider them in the same group as the African Americans descended from slaves.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,579,468 times
I'm not reading 27 pages of comments. I'll just throw my answer in at the end:

Because Asians are typically brought up with a belief in personal responsibility and accountability. Thus, they tend to be more successful because they attribute their successes and failures to their own actions.

Whereas your typical other type of American has that entitlement mentality that everybody should GIVE them something, and if they don't succeed then it's someone else's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies