Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,293,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well complain to dub dub II then, because he's the one who started with making claims that Asians have huge advantages over unemployed non-Asian people because of family connections, family-owned businesses and being able to live at home after the age of 18...

And BTW, the black immigrants that I know never want to be lumped in the same group as American born blacks (the ones that had descendents brought over on slave ships). I'm from MA and my bf says the same thing and he grew up in FL.

Did it ever peak your curiosity as to ask him why? I guess the reason why was unimportant

Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,293,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Fair enough, but you may want to re-read some of the posts in this thread.

In college, I did two research papers on the re-segregation of the public school system and some of my findings were pretty disturbing. The conditions of urban schools are well-documented. These factors like sub-standard facilties, horrible teachers, outdated books, lack of classes and programs, and much more play against Blacks. I know people that go to high schools where students can take home iPads and have greater resources to help with standardized testing, while a lot of black students' textbooks still refer to Bill Clinton as the current president. So when they get to college and the real world, they are outmatched in every way possible.

The majority of blacks in the urban areas go to inner city public schools are the first to be defunded as well, but yet this is rarely mentioned

My school was %83 white and %7 black. Three years in a row in the month of February, there was a racially motivated event perpetrated by whites towards blacks. Three. Years. In. A. Row. Now, why would a black person want to leave their surrounds to be a part of that when they're only trying to better themselves?

I went to a school that was 98% black and they went through the motions of a black history month, but throughout the year blacks in history were never mentioned, so why is that?

I think one thing that helps us are white sounding names. My name is Jason, not Quandre or Dashaun or whatever. My cousin was telling me she almost didn't get a job at this top company in Houston because, 'blacks usually have an attitude and cause trouble'. Thankfully, her name was Maurisa, or her application may have been thrown out. The only reason she was hired was because the higher up who made this comment didn't find out she was black until after she was hired. How are blacks with black sounding names supposed to combat this? I'm not asking you directly, it's just s general statement. If any person suggests changing their name, then we have bigger problems than hiring someone with a block name.

What you say is true but they also look at your address and zip code and that weeds black applicants that happen to live in predominate black neighborhoods as well. Many times an unnecessary credit check can produce the same affect.

So you may not think that way, but my point is many people do. And many people who are employers and make hiring decisons do. They see my white sounding name on a resume and say, 'wow, I really like this guy, let's bring him in for an interview', only to be unpleasantly surprised to see that I'm black. I go from a qualified candidate to no chance in hell of getting the job.

To your point about pronouncing certain words, I had classmates that were some of the smartest students, graduated early, with honors, etc, that just happened to pronounce 'ask' with 'axe'. Is that really a big deal?

And to anyone that says, stop whining, I better not hear a peep if they don't get a job because of affirmative action.

Everyone has bad repesentation among their race. For every great white guy, there's James Holmes, Tim McVeigh, Ted Bundy, etc. Thing is, when a minority commits a crime, well, typical dangerous minority. But when a white person commits the same offense, it's a society issue or individual case, never 'typical white people'. And before anyone throws out stats that blacks are more likely to do this and that, stop. Whites, Asians, whoever aren't absolved because they commit the crime less. It's just the lesser of two evils. Kind of easier for blacks to mooch off the government when they put welfare offices a short walk away from their residence. I don't see too many of these offices in the middle of a poor, rural white area.

And as a reminder you always hear the term "black on black crime" but how often do you hear of "white on white crime" which is sometimes confused with "white collar crime" or even "brown on brown crime" of anything else for that matter.

Btw, I'm not trying to make excuses for blacks with certain behaviors, I get it. We bring it on ourselves sometimes. It's ridiculous, I'll be wearing nice, dressier clothes and get made fun of by a group of black guys, walking around with their pants hanging off their ***. That's cool. A black guy, who has never seen me nor knows nothing about me, will mug me and flip me off for no reason. Just unbelievable. I always say, that attitude is why guys like you end up in body bags.

There's a lot of work that can be done by blacks and the attitudes of others toward them.

I can relate to that but trying doing that in a all black neighborhood. Yes, I realize that we all make our own choices, many people actually believe that we all start off equally, which is not true.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,031,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
"Orientals"?

Umm, this is 2012 right?
Oriental not PC anymore? Watch out! The word police are out to get you!

I always thought it was just more specific than "Asian," which also includes Russians, Turks, Persians, Arabs, Indians, and a number of others who don't all have the same physical features as say the Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans -- physical features that naturally come to mind when I hear the word "Oriental."

Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,673,882 times
There is a term "Chinaman" which was frequently used few decades ago to describe people from China but I beleive that in US, it is now considered offensive. But ORIENTAL is not that offensive-I have seen chinese/korean supermarkets named as Oriental Food Store etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Oriental not PC anymore? Watch out! The word police are out to get you!

I always thought it was just more specific than "Asian," which also includes Russians, Turks, Persians, Arabs, Indians, and a number of others who don't all have the same physical features as say the Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans -- physical features that naturally come to mind when I hear the word "Oriental."

Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,310,835 times
Culture and migration by Sowell is a great read.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:48 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,535,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And no one in this thread has ever posted that ALL blacks are unemployed, or ALL blacks are uneducated, or ALL blacks make poor employees. And not all blacks pronounce "ask" as "axe". But we see what we see. We hear what we hear.

And I'm very happy for your situation, except the parts about the police taking longer to run a background check on you or that you are profiled when pulled over. Yes, you are educated and have a great work history. I would not have any complaints with you as one of my co-workers. However statistically, you are in the minority of African Americans. For every Bill Cosby, Morgan Freeman or Denzel Washington, there are so many more inner city ghetto type black men. And why else would Oprah so excited about Obama's presidential run? He was a presentable, educated non-angry black man with a black wife and children, a real rarity and the only type of black man who could be the first black president.

And if you want to be even more unusual for an African American man and a successful one at that, you will eventually marry a black woman and have a family with her.

Anyway as of July 2012, the documented black unemployment rate is at 14.1%. And the OP started this thread because the Asian unemployment rate is at 6.2%. And for the last ten years, except for one point in 2007, blacks consistently top the chart for being the highest unemployed racial group.

Also looking at this chart should make African Americans question what sort of effect Obama has had on their lives the last almost four years. Is it really a positive one?

Unemployment Demographics | Department of Numbers

Black unemployment is in green. Yellow represents Hispanic unemployment numbers. Whites are in blue. Asian unemployment is in red.

I think that AA Employment Rate is 86% the vast majority of AA are functional wouldn't you say

The vast majority of AA are not nonachievers as you try to make us out to be....get my drift..???

Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,536,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

i have

asian people excel in theirs academic pursues much more so than other racial groups , and they go into
the resturant business and self employ theirs community whereas other minority groups do not.
This is true.

Most Asian families I've met place an extremely high priority to education and hard work.

Embarrassing behavior and a lazy work ethic is thought to bring shame to the community.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,273,371 times
Why is Asian American Unemployment Very Low?

Two words..... work ethic.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 408 times
For the so many of you who stand by Asian's "work ethic," I went to high school with about 100 Chinese students around my age. These students were some of the laziest, rudest, and worst students I've ever seen. They wouldn't do their homework, many would miss class, the ones who showed up would sleep, they wouldn't associate with Americans, and they regularly cheated on any schoolwork, especially tests. I was shocked at seeing this, after trusting the stereotype that Asians were hard working. With the Americans at my school, the lazy ones were the outliers; an Asian who cared about school was the outlier of their group. I've heard from students at other schools who try this that it's the same story everywhere. Not to mention the Chinese ones probably couldn't understand what the word "hygiene" means.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:53 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,024,486 times
This report might shed some light on the issue.

Quote:
"Shuang Wen Academy is a small, public elementary school in Chinatown featuring a rigorous dual-language program in English and Chinese.

If you look at the school's track record, the reason families of all races are clamoring to get into this school becomes clear.

Out of 1,200 New York City public schools, Shuang Wen ranked number three in math. And almost 97 percent of the students passed the reading test, compared to the city- wide average of only 33 percent.

CHOU: To us it's really not something we are -- in American culture, we say we are very proud of. But in Chinese culture, we say it's nothing. We should have done this.

LOTHIAN: High expectations are typically the norm for Asian American children. But when you consider the demographics of the community served by the school, the accomplishments stand out even more.

CHOU: We are Title I school with 70 percent population under poverty level. The majority are labor workers -- a lot of new immigrants. They're working at the restaurant or garment factories."
CNN: The Gap after the Brown Ruling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.