Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

Advertisements

Thanks Asian guy. We would appreciate your first hand, so to speak, views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
This "Oriental" talk is hilarious. It's 2012 and I don't mind if you call me an Asian guy.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Thats because the group with the least amount of morals is seen to be the All American.....how can anyone be surprised or confused with this. If I was in a position to hire a cashier lets say, I would stay away from male AA the highest risk group.. and gravitate toward anything else for a percentage chance of not being thieved. AA have no morals and will take anything at any level if not getting caught is in view....The theif is very creative and can create all kinds of justifications for taking things which do not belong to self....the world knows this.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:06 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I read a book with a reference to it a few weeks ago. More than other groups they rely on other Asian people they know to help them find work. I think my book is in the car or I would find the passage and quote from it here. I believe I read it in a book called "Quiet" that was about introverts.
That's what I was gonna say.

It seems like many of them started their own businesses, and often, a majority if not all of the employees are of Asian descent. It seems like they're good about hiring family/friends and collectively investing so that they can start up new ventures.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Statistically speaking, that is a difference of a little over 16%. That is statistically significant. You think a election poll that showed a difference of 16%~ wouldn't be significant.

Oh, you need remedial statistical training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
6.2 percent is very low compared to 7.4 percent????

I think statistics should be mandatory in high school

Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In my experience, Asians who own businesses do not hire non-Asians unless they have no alternative, and they never publicly declare job openings unless they have no alternative. There is a nearby Asian restaurant which recently posted a window sign looking for a "helper" - and posted it in Spanish.
That usually hire family and friends, though. Someone they trust....pretty common all over the world.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:43 AM

812 posts, read 595,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Month after month we get the unemployment report from the Dept. of Labor. One thing I noticed is that Asian unemployment is consistently low. For July, it was only 6.2%:

What's the secret sauce here? Soy sauce? LOL....ok, kidding. My hunch is Asians are better educated (higher college attainment rate), which translates to better employability. College graduates do have lower unemployment than high school grads.
It is more than that and much simpler it is work ethic and pride. Something other minorities and much of the general youth population knows little about. Work ethic and personal pride and individualism. They also generally wouldn't vote for a democrat in exchange for a sustenance bowl.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
It is more than that and much simpler it is work ethic and pride. Something other minorities and much of the general youth population knows little about. Work ethic and personal pride and individualism. They also generally wouldn't vote for a democrat in exchange for a sustenance bowl.
And they value education for their children and are very devoted parents and have strong family ties.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Some groups would do well to mimic these traits. It's the redneckish/ghetto people that's the elephant in the room. The problem is mainstream society think they're doing these people a favor by maintaining the status quo, nevermind frederick Douglas advocating letting folks fall in order for them to improve themselves.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Some groups would do well to mimic these traits. It's the redneckish/ghetto people that's the elephant in the room. The problem is mainstream society think they're doing these people a favor by maintaining the status quo, nevermind frederick Douglas advocating letting folks fall in order for them to improve themselves.
Politicians don't want these type of people as the majority. See how much they are NOT dependent on the government ? So promises of "free stuff" aka social programs mean nothing to them.

No, our elected officials WANT dependent people so they have votes in their pockets.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have seen a few homeless Asians in the Los Angeles (Venice Beach area). But they tend to take care of issues like mental health and drug abuse "quietly" and only amongst their own.
Well -- not always -- the Korean guy who killed 32 people at Virginia Tech wasn't having his mental health and drug abuse issues taken care of quietly and by other Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies