Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You are obviously very ignorant of history, so you should quit while you are behind. Chinese were denied property ownership and burdened with higher taxes, Japanese were interned and had all their property taken away, Filipinos were lynched and many other Asians faced indignities here in America. The reason you are probably unaware of these facts is because Asians don't constantly make a big deal about the past and focus more on the future and our own personal success. That's a mentality that other minorities should try to copy.
Most Asians have only recently arrived -- but sure a few people that were here earlier did face problems -- not just Asians but just about everyone. Imagine what it was like for those Europeans who came here before there were food stamps and welfare handouts. They were all on their own -- well some had some slaves to help them. It wasn't easy for my ancestors either, they had to work very hard and there was no free lunch program at school -- but they didn't spend many generations as slaves either.

Slavery left a big impact, there can be no denying that and of course many blacks are very successful today but as a group, there are scars.

Maybe if we as Americans would be like the Asians and take care of our own, our own would have it better. Yes -- Asians make sure other Asians have jobs --- good American jobs of course -- Americans don't care if an American is left jobless.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:58 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Work ethic, family values yes.

But individualism is definately not part of asian culture.
Also fwiw, they vote democrate at greater rate than whites
If they vote at all. Same with Hispanics, who only give a rip Aout politics bc our leaders are holding their family hostage.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
You are obviously very ignorant of history, so you should quit while you are behind. Chinese were denied property ownership and burdened with higher taxes, Japanese were interned and had all their property taken away, Filipinos were lynched and many other Asians faced indignities here in America. The reason you are probably unaware of these facts is because Asians don't constantly make a big deal about the past and focus more on the future and our own personal success. That's a mentality that other minorities should try to copy.
Pretty much have to agree with you here. As property, slaves were actually treated better than your average indentured servant, chinese working to build railroad etc.
I think it safe to say using an issue that ended nearly 150 years ago is a little week to explain why some struggle today. It might have merit if the majority struggled.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:02 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Most Asians have only recently arrived -- but sure a few people that were here earlier did face problems -- not just Asians but just about everyone. Imagine what it was like for those Europeans who came here before there were food stamps and welfare handouts. They were all on their own -- well some had some slaves to help them. It wasn't easy for my ancestors either, they had to work very hard and there was no free lunch program at school -- but they didn't spend many generations as slaves either.

Slavery left a big impact, there can be no denying that and of course many blacks are very successful today but as a group, there are scars.

Maybe if we as Americans would be like the Asians and take care of our own, our own would have it better. Yes -- Asians make sure other Asians have jobs --- good American jobs of course -- Americans don't care if an American is left jobless.
You think capitalism is a zero sum game, no room for growth. Asians, like Jews and indians, etc., have a high savings rate. That's money for investing in either education or businesses. The chiefs have come to america in three distinctive waves: the gold miners, the Taiwan crowd, and the hong kong group----generally speaking. The 2nd was more educated but even Taiwanese had to start with nothing. The last group had to deal with juvenile delinquency, so of which was dealt with old school one that started to affect Chinatown business.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
Well a Chinese guy at work had to ask me how to work out a math problem -- so I really don't buy into all the wonderful stereotypes of them.
Is that your idea of a reasonable response? You don't seem to understand statistics or group averages. I'm not talking about stereotypes here. I am talking about well documented data.

Quote:
How about we bring Asians over as slaves and make them work for free for a few generations, buying and selling them and then have some Jim Crow laws for some more generations and then see how they do as a group.
If Chinese were imprisoned and enslaved here in America instead of Africans, their descendants would take advantage of the opportunities that exist for them today, instead of constantly complaining about something that never happened to them personally and using that as an excuse for failure.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM

812 posts, read 595,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Work ethic, family values yes.

But individualism is definately not part of asian culture.
Also fwiw, they vote democrate at greater rate than whites
Show me that statistic simply do not believe it. My spouse is third generation Canadian Japanese. For this reason I have many orientalnacquaintences. I have met only one I would consider a liberal a freakin educator of course. So there you go.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
On a side note, Hawaii (the only majority Asian state in the union) has among the lowest unemployment rates in the nation: 6.4% as of June 2012. Hawaii State Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Plus -- since this is a dig at blacks -- as a group because people like to judge others by their race group not as individuals, the Asians immigrants and all immigrants did not have the same history of slavery and institutionalized racism in this country.

Asians come over and are handed all kinds of refugee money, most arrived after the government safety nets were well in place. Many are bright enough to learn English and adapt well -- but they also as a group they've had a lot of advantages that blacks never had. Many Asians come over to take the programming and other computer jobs that Americans won't do. Many come as highly paid physicians. There is no history of Asian slavery in this country so really Asians like other immigrants have no excuse at all to do poorly.

Gag me with a pitch fork.

That argument is way beyond worn out.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Pretty much have to agree with you here. As property, slaves were actually treated better than your average indentured servant, chinese working to build railroad etc.
I think it safe to say using an issue that ended nearly 150 years ago is a little week to explain why some struggle today. It might have merit if the majority struggled.
It didn't exactly end 150 years ago. The field workers were released en masse - but then what did they have? They still had Jim Crowe laws, they still couldn't use the same drinking fountain, many were denied a good education, they still couldn't get hired in many jobs. Even today, Obama is busy getting illegals their work visas but is doing absolutely nothing to get American kids into jobs. That's just another generation that won't make it.

I also blame the liberal politics and of course the government handout programs which isn't like giving someone a job and it keeps them jobless and at the bottom. Many social problems become generational.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Is that your idea of a reasonable response? You don't seem to understand statistics or group averages. I'm not talking about stereotypes here. I am talking about well documented data.

If Chinese were imprisoned and enslaved here in America instead of Africans, their descendants would take advantage of the opportunities that exist for them today, instead of constantly complaining about something that never happened to them personally and using that as an excuse for failure.
Yes I do understand group statistics and averages.

However -- if you're going to want to solve the problems of groups, then you have to look at the whole picture -- of course Asians as well as Germans, and Swedes and many others come here and do very well. One reason is that our borders are so very open to all who want to come here and take the jobs. We allow that. Americans who are at a disadvantage that goes back several generations in their family are not being given jobs -- their would be jobs are given to foreigners. So of course the foreigner has the advantage over the American.

Imagine if instead of welfare and open borders, that America (like the Asians do) actually took care of our own? Asians here make sure Asians are given jobs, we don't make sure Americans are given jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies