Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 AM

33,495 posts, read 36,989,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Seventh is dismal? LOL

I know you were offended by the comments that poster made, but let's be serious. As for your final paragraph, there are 300 million people in this country. Developed countries with smaller populations will always be happiest and have the lowest unemployment.
That is not necessarily true. Before your financial meltdown our unemployment was consistently higher than yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 AM

33,495 posts, read 36,989,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is total nonsense - everytime I have posted in this forum - I have been fully clothed.
But didn't you know that you are... Emperors Without Clothes

I see right through you.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,164,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That is not necessarily true. Before your financial meltdown our unemployment was consistently higher than yours.
Well, I hope ours hasn't risen that much and that Canada's unemployment has just fallen. Doubt that though unfortunately.

Maybe I'll move to the Yukon area.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,370,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As for Canada -- ever since they had that guy cut off some guy's head on a Greyhound bus, I've been leery of going there. It seems they have a problem with knives there.

That knife was SHARP man! Way more humane than having some homeless dude eat off another homeless dude's face. We are nothing if not considerate. Seems you have a problem with Zombies there.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,729,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Naw, we can't compete with you guys...Lets see according to the most recent statistics ....USA ....9,369 deaths by firearms.....Canada...144. Murders with firearms statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Crime

For the poster who compared the homicides in Detroit with those in Toronto, let's take a closer look...

Toronto, population 2,615,060....Homicides to date in 2012...31

Detroit, population 713,777.....Homicides to date in 2012....212

Toronto is more than three times the size of Detroit, yet has almost seven times the number of murders...
I agree we have a lot of firearm deaths, but you have to remember these (very few) are perpetrated by legitimate gun owners/carriers.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,813,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I agree we have a lot of firearm deaths, but you have to remember these (very few) are perpetrated by legitimate gun owners/carriers.
Gun banners, and those foreigners who would love to see the U.S. ban guns, can't see that. My question still remains unanswered

Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,729,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The US murder rate is a long-term problem. It's hard to imagine now, but it used to be twice as high even back in the early 90's. But as much as it has fallen, so have the rates in other developed nations, and the ratio remains around the same as it used to be - the US murder rate is persistently 4 to 6 times higher than most Western European nations, 4-5 times higher than Australia and New Zealand, 3 times higher than Canada, and 12-15 times higher than Japan.

That just seems to be the way things go for us.
There are a ton of illegal guns on the streets that account for most/all of it, most legit gun owners are peaceful.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 AM

7,791 posts, read 6,345,355 times
Didn't you Canooks have a mass shooting a few years ago where the gunman shot around 20 people and managed to kill no one?

Judging by yesterday's soccer game, the only thing Canadians are good at is tripping people.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,455,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Apparantlly so do South Africans, what with their restrictive gun laws and all.

San Pedro Sula, la ciudad más violenta del mundo; Juárez, la segunda

How does a city of 3.4M in South Africa, called Cape Town, manage to garner itself a murder rate of 46.15? South Africa requires "a competency test and several other factors, including background checking of the applicant, inspection of an owner's premises, and licensing of the weapon by the police introduced in July 2004."?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_po...n_South_Africa

So South Africa has similar gun laws to Canada, actually more strict most likely, yet Cape Town's murder rate is similar to Detroit's? Can you explain that, please? Cape Town is smaller than Toronto, so why the explosion in the murder rate despite strict gun control in South Africa?
A real good example right where I live which is right on the Mexican border. El Paso and Ciudad Juarez, sister cities, similar demographics, they share an economy, El Paso is considered poor by US standards and Ciudad Juarez is one of the wealthier cities of Mexico.

Ciudad Juarez had one of the highest homicide rates in the world. El Paso had one of the lowest. Why the difference? Maybe the drug laws? All drugs are decriminalized in Ciudad Juarez but there are drug laws in El Paso - but also the reverse for guns, guns are legal in El Paso and commonly owned, but illegal in Juarez.

Imagine being a carjacker in this binational metropolitan area -- you've got one side of the metropolitan area where the victims aren't armed, but the other side where they might defend themselves. Same for home invasion - in Juarez everyone has high fences and iron bars over doors and windows -- but no guns, in El Paso they can leave doors and windows open and unlocked because who wants to do a home invasion where the home owner isn't a sitting duck?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,813,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A real good example right where I live which is right on the Mexican border. El Paso and Ciudad Juarez, sister cities, similar demographics, they share an economy, El Paso is considered poor by US standards and Ciudad Juarez is one of the wealthier cities of Mexico.

Ciudad Juarez had one of the highest homicide rates in the world. El Paso had one of the lowest. Why the difference? Maybe the drug laws? All drugs are decriminalized in Ciudad Juarez but there are drug laws in El Paso - but also the reverse for guns, guns are legal in El Paso and commonly owned, but illegal in Juarez.

Imagine being a carjacker in this binational metropolitan area -- you've got one side of the metropolitan area where the victims aren't armed, but the other side where they might defend themselves. Same for home invasion - in Juarez everyone has high fences and iron bars over doors and windows -- but no guns, in El Paso they can leave doors and windows open and unlocked because who wants to do a home invasion where the home owner isn't a sitting duck?
Exactly. But, don't wait around for an answer. You won't get any or you'll get one with a non-answer. Gun control, just like alcohol prohibition, never has and never will work.

Drug legalization has nothing to do with it. If drugs were legal in the US then it would put the cartels out of business, but I digress. This topic is about guns not drugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies