Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

The question I have is why is the government pushing folks to spend spend spend when they should be saving. Bush did it too. Go out and shop. Hey lets lower interest rates so folks go get in debt more. Lets make it not even worth putting your money in a CD because you get nothing. Lets take a bunch of cars off the road that are working fine and give out incentives to buy a new one and get in more debt. Spend, spend, spend. Want a house hey here ya go if you can't afford it don't worry about it. Oh and you gotta go to college. Here we'll take over student loans too so we make sure everybody can get one. All to enslave the masses. The economy would have recovered by now if they would have let it. Now it's in worse shape and the banks are laughing to the window loaning out money they don't even have and collecting interest on it. It will all end in complete economic disaster. Just watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So the answer is minimum wage jobs?
Did you not notice, that for much of the past 30 years, the only jobs we have been creating are low-level service jobs? We have shifted to a service economy, with higher paying jobs going to a well educated few.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The question I have is why is the government pushing folks to spend spend spend when they should be saving. Bush did it too. Go out and shop. Hey lets lower interest rates so folks go get in debt more. Lets make it not even worth putting your money in a CD because you get nothing. Lets take a bunch of cars off the road that are working fine and give out incentives to buy a new one and get in more debt. Spend, spend, spend. Want a house hey here ya go if you can't afford it don't worry about it. Oh and you gotta go to college. Here we'll take over student loans too so we make sure everybody can get one. All to enslave the masses. The economy would have recovered by now if they would have let it. Now it's in worse shape and the banks are laughing to the window loaning out money they don't even have and collecting interest on it. It will all end in complete economic disaster. Just watch.
It also helped the big banks out by destroying perfectly ok cars in that cash for clunkers failure. Now poor people have to take out 10-20% interest rate loans for a more expensive car, because the supply of overall cars has shrunk.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It also helped the big banks out by destroying perfectly ok cars in that cash for clunkers failure. Now poor people have to take out 10-20% interest rate loans for a more expensive car, because the supply of overall cars has shrunk.

How about a little personal responsibility? I thought conservatives were all about personal responsibility? Can't afford that shiney new car? Don't buy it.

Now poor people *have* to go buy a new car? Pfffft. I have an '05 Subaru - all paid off and it's not going anywhere for a good long time. I *could* buy a new car, but I don't *need* to buy a new car. Please show me some data that says demand is outpacing supply for used cars. The local CarMaxes seem to have a crap-ton of cars on their lots.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
How about a little personal responsibility? I thought conservatives were all about personal responsibility? Can't afford that shiney new car? Don't buy it.

Now poor people *have* to go buy a new car? Pfffft. I have an '05 Subaru - all paid off and it's not going anywhere for a good long time. I *could* buy a new car, but I don't *need* to buy a new car. Please show me some data that says demand is outpacing supply for used cars. The local CarMaxes seem to have a crap-ton of cars on their lots.
Point is that poor people now have a smaller supply of less expensive used cars to choose from, because the gov't destroyed them. Therefore, the cost of all cars new or used goes up. That means the poor have to take out more loans. Since they are strapped for cash, the amount on the loan has to be higher. Since they usually have poor credit, the interest rate is somewhere in the 10-15% or higher range. That means more money for big banks and more indebtedness for poor people, thanks to the government.

The government, however, benefitted some middle class folks who cashed in on their perfectly good car to get a nice new one. So, basically, the program shifted money from the poor to the middle class. Ironic that the transfer from poorer to richer occurred by a Democrat, isn't it?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Point is that poor people now have a smaller supply of less expensive used cars to choose from, because the gov't destroyed them. Therefore, the cost of all cars new or used goes up. That means the poor have to take out more loans. Since they are strapped for cash, the amount on the loan has to be higher. Since they usually have poor credit, the interest rate is somewhere in the 10-15% or higher range. That means more money for big banks and more indebtedness for poor people, thanks to the government.

The government, however, benefitted some middle class folks who cashed in on their perfectly good car to get a nice new one. So, basically, the program shifted money from the poor to the middle class. Ironic that the transfer from poorer to richer occurred by a Democrat, isn't it?
Again, I'd like to see some numbers that support the bolded statement.

A quick scan of Craig's List shows plenty of affordable used cars for sale....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies