Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You said American citizen students could apply to U.S. colleges as foreign students. In this post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/25521683-post28.html
Let's get this straight.

American citizens can apply to US colleges as foreign students. Historian has pointed out that there is no law against it. So it's perfectly legal.

MB has pointed out that while it's legal, it's impractical. The American citizen doesn't possess the paperwork to establish foreign student credentials that would qualify someone for an international studies program. While there is no LEGAL impediment, there are issues of practicality involved. And while birthers have fabricated some huge advantage for foreign students, the reality is that there isn't a huge advantage. Some schools, not all schools, may have a few select scholarships, but otherwise financial aid is based on the same criteria for all students. Academic standards are the same, and the students have to attend the same classes, use the same library and research sources.

We know FOR A FACT that Obama graduated from an American high school. In Hawaii.

We know that colleges and universities have international studies programs in an effort to promote diversity on their campuses. They want students with diverse experiences and backgrounds on campus to add their personal knowledge to the learning experiences of the student body as a whole. They are looking to add depth to the educational process. But many of these foreign exchange students (most, in my experience, but that's not definitive) are paying their tuition with minimal financial aid. International students have scholarships from their host countries, and many, many international students to the United States come from wealthy backgrounds to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM

89,016 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Let's get this straight.

American citizens can apply to US colleges as foreign students.
Wow. No.

Just one example...
Quote:
MIT considers any student who does not hold US citizenship or permanent residency to be an international applicant, regardless of where you live or attend school.
How To Apply To MIT | MIT Admissions

Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah, I'm still going with Obama failed economics.
Well we agree on one thing.

Had he majored in econ the stimulus would have been more robust, a smaller percentage would have gone to tax cuts and more for jobs and training.

I've read John Maynard Keynes and Obama is no Keynesian.

PS - maybe that's the problem with birthers, they keep getting Kenyan confused with Keyneian. Sort of like Bush being confused about who had a wmd program Iraq or Iran.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't think it matters if it's legal or not, because it would have been impossible for him to do.
With all due respect, mb, you're first and foremost generalizing your personal experience with all experiences of foreigners attending school in the US. The fact is that not all experiences are the same. It is not even clear to me if you were an American student studying overseas, or a foreign student studying here.

Secondly, you are confusing your different argument against the same Birther claim as an argument against what I'm saying. We are not in actual disagreement here. You are arguing that it is impossible. I am arguing that even were it true, it would be neither illegal nor commission of a fraud. These are not arguments in opposition with each other.

The Birther claim is the amorphous and largely pointless assertion that he registered at Occidental and Columbia as a "foreign student." It is a piece of wild and unsupported speculation and any further speculation regarding what preference program might be a motive for doing so is merely layering new wild speculation on top of old wild speculation.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Obama was born a Brit.
As long as he was also born a US citizen, so what?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Wow. No.

Just one example...How To Apply To MIT | MIT Admissions
Law.

College policy.

Two different things.

89,016 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Obama claimed he was foreign-born from 1991 to 2007, when he realized that would make him ineligible for POTUS.

Barack Obama, Born in Kenya for 16 Years

(Tracks the different Obama bios released over 16 years.)

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Well... first off you need to back up a little.

The term "foreign exchange student" is primary applied to high school students, not college students. Such programs are extremely rigid (as you describe) but are not relevant to attendance at an institution of higher learning. The acceptance of foreign students into those institutions are (with the exception of short term "study abroad" or "semester abroad" programs) not "exchange" programs at all. They are not "international programs." They are at their core the same exact process of admissions as domestic students... students apply and either do or do not get in. A specific "student" visa is not a requirement, though that is certainly the visa program of which most foreign students take advantage. But foreigners can also live in the US under any number of other visa programs or as holders of a green card and still attend college. For example, a foreigner here on a work visa can attend college while present in the country, no problem. And of course dual citizens can attend college here without any visa at all.

Further more, it is impossible to actually figure out what program the Birthers are hallucinating of which Obama would have been taking advantage. Few US schools have any quotas associated with foreign students, though most like to take them because they actually tend to pay the highest possible (i.e. non-resident) tuition rather than receive some imaginary special scholarships for foreigners from the schools. Fulbright scholarships are only granted for graduate work, which Obama was not at either Occidental or Columbia. There are few if any financial advantages of being a foreign student in a US university.

But at the college/university level the requirements for participation in any program is determined by the institution, not the government. There is no law that sets standards beyond simple legal residence. So Birther claims that he did something illegal or committed fraud are absurd on their face... even were it true that he attended as a foreign student for some inexplicable reason.
You're missing the point.

Many universities do have study abroad, or foreign exchange programs, but you are correct that not all students studying abroad are in those programs--many seek regular admission just like American students. I did a year overseas in high school, and a semester abroad in college, and both were considered foreign exchange programs, and I was called an exchange student. The case the birthers are trying to make is that Obama somehow rigged the system by being admitted into a special program that gives preference to international students--that it was easier for him to get in that way. I'm saying that it's impossible. He wouldn't have been able to provide the documentation to get into a program that might give special preference for foreign students, plus most of those programs are short term. You don't graduate from the school--you either go a year or a semester overseas, and then you go back home and graduate from your home country university. Let's say he enrolled as a foreign national without going through a student exchange program--he'd have to do that if he planned on graduating from the American school. Under those circumstances, he wouldn't have received any special preferences on admission. He would have just been a regular student, held to the same admission requirements (or tougher ones) as everyone else.

What I'm saying is that what the birthers are claiming is impossible.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What I'm saying is that there's no point in even entertaining the idea, because it would have been impossible for him to be accepted as a foreign student, whether it's "against the law" or not.
And as I said... that is a completely different argument, not a contradictory one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547
You all are making the case that you think Obama used a Kenyan passport to get into a better college as a foreign student than he would have qualified for as an American kid.
Actually, only Birthers are making that claim... though in the classic way Birthers have of never accepting a simple idea when a needlessly and absurdly complex one will do, they usually assert Indonesian rather than Kenyan.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Your post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/25522626-post85.html

You thought Trump was serious.
No, I didn't. You need to turn in your mind reading certificate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies